Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
angel nee nee
Registered Users
My Mood:
for people who "make your own curriculum"

or as pepole say, people "who don't buy curriculum."
If you are putting togehter your own curriculum, how do you decide what you want to teach?

I just started homeschooling, so I do not know a big picture yet, but what I was thinking is, I want to try to teach waht first graders know first, (or I would like the majority of my curriculum to be based on that. some from lower or higher grade level is ok. ) then after I know my son knows everything he knows from first grade (on that subject), then I would like his materials to be based on what he should know in the second grade, then third... etc.

But, what it comes to is, that "what first graders should know," "what second graders should know," and so on, is based on the STATE standard, right?

maybe it is not even very important to "make sure he knows what he should know in X grade." (unless he is taking the State standard test?)

So how do you decide what you want to teach?
How do you decide which materials you put into your lesson plan?

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: for people who "make your own curriculum"

There is a series called What Your _ Grader Needs to Know. You could get that and use their recommendations.

The Well Trained Mind is a great book for ideas on how to put together an education.

Almost every state lists their standards for each grade online. I can look at that and keep an eye on what my children should know. I only pay attention to math and LA though.

Simply Charlotte Mason has a free online curriculum guide you could follow. They list what to do for every subject.

I think you should first decide what educational philosophy you want to follow.
Wife and mom to 3: ds 12 , ds 8, and dd 4
south5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
My Mood:
The what your _____ needs to know is part of the core knowledge curriculum. You could just buy the overview book that gives you the basics of what to cover each year k-8 if you wanted a jumping off point and a guide to know you are covering the basics.
Married to Scott and Mama to Evelyn (5) Annabelle (3) and Abraham (1)

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

Last edited by FindingMercy; 11-03-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: my smart phone is mean
FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:35 AM   #4
Registered Users
I start with the basics and go from there. I also look at state requirements. Obviously they require math and reading, etc, butt they get more specific with Ohio history and safety/first aid. So I throw those in too. Then I pick extras. Instead of just teaching "music" this year I've decided on piano as his core music.

We ended up with too much curriculum and I've had to cut back a little. I was a little over enthusiastic. He's getting more than he'd be getting in public school I'm sure of it.
Shauna, mom to Adrian, 9 and Charlie, 6!
Shaunam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: for people who "make your own curriculum"

i had the what your ___ needs to know when i did dd's curric last year.
Leah- Single Mama to Audrey 12/29/03 Gwyneth 4/1/09 and Olivia 1/30/12!
leeuhhh is offline   Reply With Quote