Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
kazkirk
Registered Users
seller

Need Potty 101 Lesson!

My babies turn 1 this weekend and my diaper stash is complete.
Since I work full time and have twin infants, my time is limited and it takes me forever to get ANYTHING done, so I like to leave plenty time to explore my options! Obviously we have a while, but I want to be prepared when they start showing signs of being ready. So, lay it on! What are signs of being ready to start? What are good pottys? What are good trainers? Better yet, which ones do I avoid completely! BTW, I dont know if this matters, but they are girls.

Advertisement

kazkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
tbowers8403
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need Potty 101 Lesson!

Oooo..I was going to post something similar. I'm gonna start around 18 months, which is 4 months to go for me. I'm nervous! Do tell momma's!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Re: Need Potty 101 Lesson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazkirk View Post
What are signs of being ready to start? What are good pottys? What are good trainers? Better yet, which ones do I avoid completely! BTW, I dont know if this matters, but they are girls.
Congrats, mama, on your daughters' hitting one year! First of all, "readiness" is a myth started by Proctor and Gamble in an advertising campaign back when Pampers launched. They basically found ONE doctor who supported the notion of PTing readiness and made him into their spokesperson. P&G's advertisers did such a good job that the idea of readiness just became engrained in the culture. There's no evidence that you need to wait for any signs of readiness to begin. Read Diaper-Free Before 3 for a good discussion of this.

I really like the Baby Bjorn Little Potty. You'll want one for each kid so you can just have them sit on their own together at the same time. If your LOs don't take to potties (some kids don't), I like the Baby Bjorn Toilet Trainer to put on top of the adult sized toilet because it looks really secure, but it may make sense to just buy a kid-sized insert that goes semi-permanently on your regular toilet, since they'll need it for a while.

As for trainers... it's complicated and depends on which approach you want to take. I used the Gerber Trainers on my DD, and just tossed a BSWW or wool soaker on top when we were in parts of the house with carpet or where the furniture needed extra protection. The waterproof trainers are probably not worth it since they'll just treat them like a diaper.

In the meantime, though, you'll want to stop using any stay-dry diapers so that your girls become more aware of their wetness if they are not already.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote