Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
mother of 4, soon 5
Registered Users

My Mood:
Do you drink caffiene when your pregnant?

okay with the season coming up and starbucks has all there new scrumptious flavors out how do you keep from drinking it all? I used to drink the crystal light energy powder drinks and I guess its an equivalent to two cups of coffee during my last pregnancy that m/c Well studies are out saying that caffeine decreases blood flow to the developing fetus and can lead to m/c.

Im wondering if you all drink it still? I would love love love to try some of them new flavors. yum! but I also dont want to jepoardize another pregnancy as Im still so early at 7 weeks. Whats your two cents?

Advertisement

mother of 4, soon 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Do you drink caffiene when your pregnant?

Crystal light is BAD news period. The artificial sweetener in it is AWFUL. I do drink caffeine while pregnant. Its very limited. Sometimes I drink a coke(12oz) if I have a headache or get MS. I did have a latte yesterday and it was so good! Like every thing I think its all about moderation. That said I try not to drink it daily. Its bad for every one, pregnant or not.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do drink caffine in small doses during pregnancy, I'm not a big coffee drinker anyways but I do most things in moderation (except apparently halloween candy!)
Old 11-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
purple_elephant
Registered Users

I do drink caffeine in moderation. My OB is totally fine with a soda (what I drink) or coffee here and there.
purple_elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not drinking caffeine at all. Perhaps if I feel like having a bit of soda I'll go for it later on in the pregnancy, but right now I'm not even comfortable with that.
There is a correlation between M/C and caffeine, and I'm taking no risks.
Having said that, I don't drink coffee anyway... but at Starbucks, you can get "steamers" that are coffee-free. I've already had a couple pumpkin spice steamers, and mm mmm mmmm were they yummy!

And I'll 2nd what Jessica said about Crystal Light. Aspartame (the artificial sweetener) is bad news.
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I did when pregnant with my last one. When I conceived I was working 2 jobs and had 2 kids at home. I did cut back a lot but without coffee I couldn't make it through the day. After the doctor took me of work completely at 6 months I stopped drinking coffee though.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
momofdestructobaby
Registered Users
seller

Steer clear of aspertame.

I did drink a small amount of caffine while pregnant with both my girls (like 1 coke/day tops).

My first pregnancy did end in M/C though and with that one I prob drank 4-5 cokes/day. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
mother of 4, soon 5
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofdestructobaby View Post
Steer clear of aspertame.

I did drink a small amount of caffine while pregnant with both my girls (like 1 coke/day tops).

My first pregnancy did end in M/C though and with that one I prob drank 4-5 cokes/day. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.
Yeah I drank a whole jug of that crystal light energy as I worked nights, then quit drinking it when I found I was pregnant and then occasionally drank it at 5.5 weeks, and m/c at 6 weeks. I just want to taste the flavors I think more than anything.

mother of 4, soon 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
loving my family
Registered Users

Statistics are that 1 in 5 pregnancy's will end in m/c I don't like it I hate it but it is true.

Anyways resent research is starting to lean away from the caffeine being bad it is a diuretic & helps clean your kidneys also what the March of Dimes has on there website has not been updated in some time when it comes to caffeine.

Coffee is bad in the beginning because it can have a type of fungus in it that will cause a m/c in the first trimester not the caffeine. Just thought I should clarify the difference don't blame caffeine blame the molded fungi filled coffee.

Oh it is naked to the eye & other sense's you can not smell or taste it either.
Which is funny cause I have always drank coffee but cannot stand it in my first trimester its like your body's natural defense to it.
I agree about aspartame it is bad for any time.
All this info can be found on web md
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #10
mumtwiceover
Registered Users
seller
seller

I cut back but so still drink some caffeine - I am a coke fiend ( the cola kind LOL) and I switch to 7 up, gingerale, Mountain dew (which has no caffeine it in Canada) and Fanta while preggo.

I will have the occasional coke and it also helps me if I have m/s. I wil l also get a coffee or iced coffee every once and a while but I'm not typically a coffee drinker - I do love the starbucks specialties though and I probably have 1-2 a week...
mumtwiceover is offline   Reply With Quote