Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Reading is not expected until first? Dd read in K and ds's school has them reading in K. That is the expectation were I live at least.

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need reading help for my 5 year old

my son is four and is at the sound each letter out stage but cant put them into a word yet. so cat is ccc aaa tttt and thats fine it will click at some point hes just not their yet

we use explodethecode.com (anyone who wants it get it from the homeschoolers co-op its half the price of the website)

and we are slowly going through phonics pathways
Old 11-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #13
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg2043 View Post
Reading is not expected until first? Dd read in K and ds's school has them reading in K. That is the expectation were I live at least.
This is the expectation in many public schools but not all. It certainly isn't the expectation for all homeschoolers. I am not going to stress if my children are reading in K or not. I didn't read until the 1st grade and I am fine.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #14
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't stress about it. Some kids just aren't ready to read until later. My sister struggled with reading at first, but then something just clicked for her and she turned into an excellent reader.

If she's getting frustrated, I would either back off, or try another approach. My oldest had a hard time with putting words together until we started doing beginning clusters -- took each consonant and put it with a short vowel, so ba, be, bi, bo, bu, ha, he, hi, ho, hu, and so on. Once she had that down, it was a lot easier for her to then put a different sound on the end for bat, bet, bit, etc.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #15
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Than you everyone. It helpful to hear that I don't need to stress about it so much. I thought the expectations were reading in kindergarten now? In my day it wasn't until first grade and that is when I learned but I thought now they need to learn it in kindergarten? I want her to be at the standard at least. She is better at blending two sounds so I should maybe work on that instead of 3 sounds. She is really good at knowing what letter a word starts with. I did the reading bear with her and she likes that. I will work on her with blending skills and point out sounds in words more and then go back to the program when she starts figuring it out since it isn't working for now. I appreciate everyone's input.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 11-03-2011 at 09:38 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:45 AM   #16
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpmercury View Post
Than you everyone. It helpful to hear that I don't need to stress about it so much. I thought the expectations were reading in kindergarten now? In my day it wasn't until first grade and that is when I learned but I thought now they need to learn it in kindergarten? I want her to be at the standard at least. She is better at blending two sounds so I should maybe work on that instead of 3 sounds. She is really good at knowing what letter a word starts with. I did the reading bear with her and she likes that. I will work on her with blending skills and point out sounds in words more and then go back to the program when she starts figuring it out since it isn't working for now. I appreciate everyone's input.
When my oldest DS started reading, it was actually near the end of the year in kindergarten. I was really worried because they were working with sight words and he just didn't get it. I would show him purple and he would say black, but that was because he just wasn't ready to read. But, when it clicked, it clicked. He literally started reading overnight and has been a really good reader ever since. I think it is easy to get stressed and start comparing, but I think that is long as you are reading with her and working on it, she will get it. At least this is the approach I am taking with my almost 5yo who doesn't get it at all.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #17
Shaunam
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpmercury View Post
Than you everyone. It helpful to hear that I don't need to stress about it so much. I thought the expectations were reading in kindergarten now? In my day it wasn't until first grade and that is when I learned but I thought now they need to learn it in kindergarten?
Like a few others have said, it just depends. Where I am, they aren't really expected to read until first. They do sight words in K and start with blending, but it's very, very little actual reading and it's more toward the end of the year.

In the K class where I work, they've done maybe 8 sight words so far and are building word families off the sight words...."it" turns into sit, bit, fit, hit...But she isn't asking them to blend the whole word, just change the first letter. That's something that might be easier for your DD.

Is she good at recognizing sight words?
Old 11-05-2011, 12:00 AM   #18
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg2043 View Post
I'm Canadian. The Kindergarten curriculum doesn't even come close to reading for BC (and my friend in Alberta said the same). Granted that could be exclusively to the French Immersion program but I don't think so, I think it's for the regular English program too.

But regardless, this is the homeschooling forum and in my mind that is the advantage of home schooling - it doesn't matter if your child learns to read at 6, 7 or 8.
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
walking-iris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There isn't a certain age that a child needs to be reading. If you just read out loud to your child, play rhyming games, or help them notice the beginning and ending sounds in words---cat, hat, bat etc as the x in fox, box---and practice writing and forming the letters, they will be fine at the K stage.

I personally believe that using the computer (starfall, reading eggs etc) for phonics instruction will do more harm than good in the end. Those things should be delegated to the fun computer play with parents area and not the spine of a reading curriculum.

Jane Healy writes a lot about this in her books. Failure To Connect is a good book to read for the risks of relying overly on computer instruction.
walking-iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #20
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
There isn't a certain age that a child needs to be reading. If you just read out loud to your child, play rhyming games, or help them notice the beginning and ending sounds in words---cat, hat, bat etc as the x in fox, box---and practice writing and forming the letters, they will be fine at the K stage.

I personally believe that using the computer (starfall, reading eggs etc) for phonics instruction will do more harm than good in the end. Those things should be delegated to the fun computer play with parents area and not the spine of a reading curriculum.

Jane Healy writes a lot about this in her books. Failure To Connect is a good book to read for the risks of relying overly on computer instruction.
My kids get very limited media time. They only use the computer to do the lesson and it is very similar to 100 easy lessons book. I do it right along with her and am activley participating with her. Right now my kids don't even watch tv daily. I have tried different methods for dd but she wasn't picking up on stuff. When i was trying to teach her letter they did the letter of the week at school and I pointed out letter to her and did the letter of the week too and sat with her and tried a lot of stuff but she didn't pick them up until she watched a video. It allowed her to concentrate on what they were teaching without having to perform and then she got confident in it. I don't only plan on teacher her using videos and the computer but she likes doing the programs and she is learning. I do read to her a lot and we have been talking about sounds a lot lately and she is on her own. I would like to keep doing what works but I will look into the the research more. What was the evidence and what was bad about using computers?

I haven't started sight words yet. I was going to do videos for that because she did so well with the videos from the same company for the letters. We are also working on writing letters. i still need to help her right from left to right and she doing letters backwards. I was thinking of trying handwriting without tears with her. She has come a long way with writing though and can finally write her name and most letters.

Math is also a struggle. She is having difficulty picking up the numbers and still doesn't have all of them down but she can count very high and count objects really good.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote