Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Doc did a poor 20wks Scan--Need Thoughts/Ideas

Each of my 20wk scans took nearly an hour each and were very detailed. My OB's office refers all patients out for anatomy scans, either at a MFM place or the hospital they deliver at. I would certainly call and ask for a referral to a different place.

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
BooneNicuMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is a bit crazy, they checked all these things on my children with the 20 week scans. With my second they also did stress tests, and a bunch of other things, but that's neither here nor there. I would seek other opinions or ask for a referral. It's your baby, and it's always better to error on the side of caution!!

Angel baby May 2011, Dec 25th 2011, and June 2015 . Never held, always loved
BooneNicuMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
Shaylee
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
Yeah a friend of mine had a couple scans done by her dr in the office and she ended up getting a scan at the hospital after she gained a bunch of weight and grew a bunch fundal height wise and found out she was having twins at 34wks! She delivered 2wks later! Her dr missed twins in two scans at the office so she obviously didn't do a very thorough exam!
Shaylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaratliff
If you aren't comfortable, then get a second opinion. It shouldn't be that difficult to get a different OB at this point, and request a scan
This.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #15
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you sure they didn't check that stuff? I don't mean to question you at all but my sister actually left one of her u/s really upset because she thought they didn't check anything like that. It turns out they did all the measurements and checked all that stuff but she just had a tech who didn't explain a thing to her so my sister had no idea that they had measured everything because nothing was ever said to her about what they were looking at/doing.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

first off im very close to you and all our kids are born in the same years

I would def ask to be referred out
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #17
DaynaR
Registered Users
seller

I'm just wondering how you know she didn't do all that stuff. Are you a tech or something?

My anatomy scan was all of 10 minutes I didn't think it was bad and the guy was constantly taking pics of everything to save for a Dr. to analyze later.

I think if there were things wrong they would have gone more in depth with the heart, cord, and brain scan. It doesn't take very long to say those things look pretty normal.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:26 PM   #18
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynaR
I'm just wondering how you know she didn't do all that stuff. Are you a tech or something?

My anatomy scan was all of 10 minutes I didn't think it was bad and the guy was constantly taking pics of everything to save for a Dr. to analyze later.

I think if there were things wrong they would have gone more in depth with the heart, cord, and brain scan. It doesn't take very long to say those things look pretty normal.
A truly thorough anatomy scan takes more than 10 mins. Usually 30-45mins. I've never had one last less than that. Even my last growth scan took more than 10 mins.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #19
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I had my 20 week scan two weeks ago. I'm measuring pretty small and had the same problem. The tech spent 10-MAYBE 15 min's with me and didn't check at least some of the things I'm worried about. Mine was done by a tech at an US place not in the doc's office. We went in and she said, "let me just get some measurements and then we'll go over everything at the end. " She then flew through her measurements and at the end said, "okay now I'll show you the stuff your interested in." She then proceeded to give me a junky view of babies face (really the top of babies head) and then "here is babies foot". That was it. As if those were the only things we were interested in looking at. We were the last appt. of the day and we think that is why everything was done so shoddy and rushed.

We were rushed through the door so fast DH and I didn't realize we should have complained then and there. I have my MW appt. next week. While there I'm going to ask her if everything was up to par with the scan. I guess I'll go from there.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #20
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

I'm an ultrasound tech...
First of all, if you are uncomfortable with your scan ask for another one someplace else! You have every right to do that!!!

You can tell if there is a 3-vessel cord without turning on the doppler (the red/blue color). A normal cross-section gray scale picture of a normal cord kind of looks like Mickey Mouse... a circle for each vessel.
Amniotic fluid can pool with big pockets in one location depending on the position of the baby, one big pocket (depending on size) can be perfectly normal and the next time baby moves it may be more equally distributed. Our typical 20 wk scan does include an AFI (amniotic fluid index) where pockets of fluid are measured in four different quadrants.... right upper & lower and left upper & lower. However it is fairly obvious at 20 weeks if there is adequate fluid without measuring it.

Typical measurements at an anatomy scan are the humerus, femur, BPD (head measurement), and abdomen.
Within the brain we always measure the cisterna magna, and lateral ventricles to check for normal size. Typically though if there is a problem it is obvious and isn't found by looking at the actual number in the measurement, it sticks out like a sore thumb if it's too big or small. As will a cyst or a hydro.
We always check the kidneys and bladder to ensure the kidneys are functioning, look at the spine, both hands and feet, measure distance between eye orbits, check the nose/lips for palate deformities, and thoroughly check the heart (look for all for chambers and proper in/out flow). The diaphragm is looked at closely to make sure there are no herniations.
All of that said, those pictures are taken to cover our a$$es as techs. 9 times out of 10 if there is a problem you can see it almost as soon as you start scanning, the rest is just documentation for records and to prove it to the Dr. reading the scan because they aren't seeing it in real time. I'm not saying your dr. did do all of this and did give you a proper test, but he may not have taken as many pictures or as much time because he was seeing it in real time instead of looking at a bunch of still shots taken by someone else.
I would not let a Dr. do my scan though, I would go to a registered sonographer who does it all day long.... I would trust their eyes and abilities over any dr. I've seen scan.
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote