Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
mamamila
Registered Users
seller

Ped says I'm selfish for waiting to introduce solids?

I saw a new (to the practice) ped yesterday and he asked if I've introduced cereals or purees to my 5.5 month old. I said no, I'm worried my supply will dip (EBF and have been really struggling with clogged ducts, blebs, etc) so I'm waiting til maybe 6 or 7 months, maybe more, to be sure my supply is consistant once again. I told him that I was ok with waiting because my breastmilk gives her what she needs anyways and she gets vit D drops. I plan to blw but didn't know his take on that so didn't mention it.
So after I said all this he was kind of weird and quiet and I asked if he had any suggestions, and he told me if I wanted to keep my child from healthy development of eating skills and proper nutrition for purely selfish reasons, he wasn't going to try to argue. I was so blown away that I didn't say anything and when I called later, his nurse said he couldn't take calls but to please refer to the "introducing solids schedule" that they gave me at the appt.

I still stand by my choice, but any idea as to what's behind his thinking? The only thing I can think of is that he thinks I'm selfish for trying to not have clogged ducts? Has anyone else been talked to by their ped like this?

Advertisement

mamamila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ped says I'm selfish for waiting to introduce solids?

Oh my GOSH!!! I would HAVE to get a different doctor It is a shame that so many pediatricians are not educated about this topic. I am sorry you are dealing with this. Thank you for reminding me how thankful I am for our children's doctor. You are doing the right thing. Follow your Mama heart.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
pinky74
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would say the doc is closed minded and not see the doc again. I have a doc at our practice that I refuse to see. She is condescending and snotty and I just won't have it when it comes to my kids.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Dawndelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like your new ped is ill-informed about breastfeeding and current recommendations for starting solids. If its possible, I would avoid seeing this particular pediatrician (it sounds like this is a multi-doctor practice). Does the rest of the practice seem to be more in line with your philosophy (it sounds like it might not be if the nurse just directed you to a hand-out)? If they are not, you might be better off looking for an office that is a better fit for you. If you feel like this is where you want to be, or if you are limited in choice, you may just have to make sure you are comfortable with your own choices about certain things. My concern with staying with a practice that you are made to feel uncomfortable about your choices is that you will have less trust in them when/if it comes to major medical issues.
Dawndelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd run as fast as I could.

Seriously, I had a pediatrician tell me that he thought La Leche League was the worst thing that ever happened to breastfeeding moms. But he waited to tell me this years after knowing me and saving my son's life. So by then he could tell me his OPINION because I knew at that point he was pro-breastfeeding and overall a good doc. Then we proceeded to have a healthy discussion.

This doctor is calling you names on the first appointment. I don't think so

Even if he had legitimate reasons for what he is telling you there was no need to call you selfish. He could have just explained his perspective and left it at that.

By the way, I don't think there is a magical number for when to introduce solids. My kids were all around the middle of the first year but I was bent on waiting for as long as possible with my first born and one day he grabbed bacon off my plate and put it in his mouth at a diner. So watch your baby they'll let you know.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
ayer79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I would have told him off, but that's just me. I was told by a doctor at one of the best children's hospitals that I was a mean mommy for not giving my son solids at 4mo! I quickly told her that he's my son and I know that God gave me milk to feed him all he needs until he or I decide he needs more. My son is 8mo and had very few solids (mostly his choice). He's 22lbs and way off the charts. My ped. knows my beliefs and never would say anything like that! Of course he cloth diapered his kids, too. I'm sorry you had to experience that. Apparently, some docs don't think breast is best. Shame on him!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Get a new pedi.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, goodness- you are sooo selfish for wanting to provide nature's perfect food- in satisfying quantities to your lo! LOL!

I think it was out of line for the doctor to call you selfish- very unprofessional of him- I would definitely be finding another pedi- or if you like the ones in that office- at least refuse to see that one.

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
rachelss
Registered Users
seller

Our pediatrician said any time between 4 and 9 months is fine. You'd think all docs would have the same data and recommendations.
rachelss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
mamamila
Registered Users
seller

Lol, it makes me feel a lot better that I'm not the only one who thinks that he was a butthead. I usually see a different ped who is very supportive of my spaced out vax schedule and cloth diapering, but he is retiring so they are transitioning us to the other doc. I think I'll now be transitioning to a new practice. DD is 16 lbs and healthy, so I think my selfishness must be worling for her, lol
mamamila is offline   Reply With Quote