Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
First time here!

First off, I have really enjoyed reading about all of your purging! It has given me the bug!!
I went through my sons playroom bins today and was disappointed that I only came away with a small box of toys to give away. How do you make it easier to purge? Does it just come with practice? Also we have a pretty large house and I have a hard time getting rid of somethings I may need "someday" if I have room to store it.
Secondly, do any of you live near me and can come kick my butt in gear? I'm just north of Houston, TX.
Final question, my son is autistic and has a hard time with change. Should I just do things slowly so it's not too much of a change? I have tried having him help me, but then we end up getting rid of nothing, just rearranging. Any help on this matter would be great!

Ok I said I was done, but one more . My mom wants me to give her any toys we are getting rid of for at her house for when my kids and my brothers kids come over. What do yall think about that?

Thanks mamas!!

Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: First time here!

I went through my sons playroom bins today and was disappointed that I only came away with a small box of toys to give away. How do you make it easier to purge? Does it just come with practice? Also we have a pretty large house and I have a hard time getting rid of somethings I may need "someday" if I have room to store it. Hey, a small box is a great start! For toys, I keep a few of the favorite things out for the kids to play with and put the rest in a big storage container in a closet/garage/storage shed. If they ask for something in one of the boxes and really want to play with it, then I'll get it out...try to switch it out if there's something you originally kept out that they aren't playing with though. Give yourself a timeline to go back to that box in storage, whether it be a month, six months, whatever...if the stuff is still sitting there not being played with, go ahead and get rid of it. This actually works really great for lots of those "well, I don't use it now but I *could* use it" type items, including clothes...because you'll really see what you're using and not using. It gets easier as you go, trust me

Secondly, do any of you live near me and can come kick my butt in gear? I'm just north of Houston, TX. Can't help ya there, I'm in Illinois

Final question, my son is autistic and has a hard time with change. Should I just do things slowly so it's not too much of a change? I have tried having him help me, but then we end up getting rid of nothing, just rearranging. Any help on this matter would be great! Maybe just do like I mentioned above, but slower? Move out all the stuff that's broken & definitely not getting played with or used, then slowly remove other things one or two items at a time. Or if he could be hyped up about a "new" playroom, have someone watch him for a few hours/the day (depending on how much stuff is in there), and redo the whole room...let him pick the design ahead of time, let him choose his favorite items (maybe give a limit?), and then store the other things that you're not sure about and re-introduce if needed, or get rid of it if it ends up being something not being asked for.

Ok I said I was done, but one more . My mom wants me to give her any toys we are getting rid of for at her house for when my kids and my brothers kids come over. What do yall think about that? As long as it's not going to cause a huge "but I want this at OUR house" meltdown everytime you go there, why not? If she wants to junk up one of her rooms and make it crazy full of toys, let her, its her house. I actually did this with my MIL...she kept saying she wanted to make a playroom for the kids, but never got around to it, usually saying she didn't have the time or money to buy a bunch of toys & stuff for the room...so we cleaned out our toy boxes (and even the linen closet since she wanted bedding for in there), took the stuff to her house, and me & her made a playroom at pretty much no cost because everything just got moved from our house to hers. She loves that the kids have their own space there now. Is it way more stuff in one room than I personally prefer? Heck yeah. But she loves it, the kids like playing there, and when we leave I don't have to look at it or think about cleaning it

Thanks mamas!!
Old 11-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you so much for all the info! The rotating storage tub idea sounds great and I actually already grabbed on from the garage and put all of ds's little people stuff in it. Well let's just say I did not get it out of the house fast enough and this is what I found in the playroom I spent all nap time cleaning...

Attachment 84116

Sigh. I hope I get better at this!

Last edited by slyeates; 04-17-2012 at 10:42 AM.
slyeates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So after looking at my picture I posted again, I have a feeling I may have made all of you minimalist mamas gag a bit lol. I just cannot seem to control the toys!! I think I need to ship all of them to my moms!!
Old 11-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

I will come back with more in a little bit when I have a minute...........

But just wanted to say (I am going minimalist but not there yet) your pictures did not make me gag....you should see my starting photos if you want to gag!

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
MamatoGreta
Registered Users
seller

I did not gag either. It looks clean, but you do have a lot of toys! My MIL has requested toys too, and she's always trying to get me to give it to my niece for her daycare, but she has everything in the world already. I always say no, there are 8 billion toys at her house and I hate cleaning as it is when we visit. (We're spending the whole weekend there. ) I sell toys like crazy to the kids stores around me, whatever they don't buy gets dropped off at the thrift store on the way home.

I've made over $250 on Swagbucks! sign up and you can too!
MamatoGreta is offline   Reply With Quote