Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
What makes a great schoolroom?

Dream schoolrooms........and GO!!

Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
kjo
Registered Users
Formerly: kjwa***n
seller

Re: What makes a great schoolroom?

I think I'm so used to thinking in terms of budget I wouldn't even know where to start Right now I'm dreaming that I had wood floors in our room so that markers, crayons, and play dough would quit staining/getting stuck in my carpet!
kjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

lots of living books and Bibles everywhere

good quality art supplies and room to do art of all kinds of media

plenty of maps hanging on the walls and timelines

beautiful classical music playing

plenty of art hanging on the walls

journals

plenty of math manipulatives
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
MathGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Big whiteboard or chalk board, a comfy place to read and lots of shelf space for books.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

I'm in the process of designing mine, but on a budget of course! We have cork floors which are super easy to clean and perfect for a kids space. One whole wall is going to be chalkboard paint. When we had the house remodeled I specifically made sure they made that wall smooth with no texture for that very reason. I have some big maps that stick to the wall from Costco that I will be hanging up. We have decided to go very hands on for our science and math curriculum so we will have lots of math manipulatives and science activities (Right Start Math and Science in a Nutshell clusters). LOTS of books. LOTS of storage! Bright colors, but nothing too overwhelming.

Also because I have toddlers (and a new baby that will eventually become a toddler lol) I'm setting up a play area with fun activities for them in the room. I plan on decorating one entire hallway that leads into the room with framed artwork from the kids. I cannot wait to move in next weekend and start setting it all up I'll be watching this thread for ideas!
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #6
walking-iris
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A room would be my dream. We have a three bedroom home and no extra space to devote entirely to school. We have bookshelves in the front room and our ikea storage drawers that we store math manipulatives, pre-k manipulatives, games etc in. The top two drawers house whatever we'r eworking on for that year. I use steralite type drawers in the boys closet to store arts and crafts. We usually do "seatwork" at the kitchen table, the computer is in the kitchen. There are shelves in both boys rooms and maps on their walls. We use clotheslines in various places for displaying. My house is very NOT conducive to fun homeschooling since we have to take things out and put them away or move them just to live in the house. I would like things to be out and displayed in a centers type way so the kids aren't always having to put things back --I would love art project table that they could just keep what they are working on out.

My dream would be to convert our garage into a room.
walking-iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdreamer View Post
I'm in the process of designing mine, but on a budget of course! We have cork floors which are super easy to clean and perfect for a kids space. One whole wall is going to be chalkboard paint. When we had the house remodeled I specifically made sure they made that wall smooth with no texture for that very reason. I have some big maps that stick to the wall from Costco that I will be hanging up. We have decided to go very hands on for our science and math curriculum so we will have lots of math manipulatives and science activities (Right Start Math and Science in a Nutshell clusters). LOTS of books. LOTS of storage! Bright colors, but nothing too overwhelming.

Also because I have toddlers (and a new baby that will eventually become a toddler lol) I'm setting up a play area with fun activities for them in the room. I plan on decorating one entire hallway that leads into the room with framed artwork from the kids. I cannot wait to move in next weekend and start setting it all up I'll be watching this thread for ideas!
ooh please post pics when your all done
Old 11-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
angel nee nee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The world's biggest Rollercoaster man......!

No? Ok built-in Starbucks.

OK I can give you other answers, but how realistic of a dream school room are were talking about here? LOL

If I can have any kind of homeschool room I want, well it will be covered with built-in aqualium walls (but tehre has to be someone hired to care for the fish. lol ) and will also have partual zoo and the museum and the library on other spaces because it's enormous! And the study room will have a built-in computer like you know, S-A-R-A-H from the TV show Eurika.

Our current school room? We don't have one.

Click Here
to join suporpoints and get your 50 poits.
Earn points for paypal cash.
Do you like shopping online? Get rebates from ebates, Mr. Rebates
angel nee nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wish we had more room for art and a place to actually do science experiments in the room. I guess having a sink actually in the room and more square footage would make ours perfect (should have taken over the whole garage instead of half). Ours is a homeschooling room/library/office though so I guess beggars can't be choosers. If I would cut down on some of the stuff in it we would have more room but I won't give anything up. We have bean bag chairs for reading, a nook for the computer and desks for actual work plus walls lined with book cases.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:45 AM   #10
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flobee76
lots of living books and Bibles everywhere

good quality art supplies and room to do art of all kinds of media

plenty of maps hanging on the walls and timelines

beautiful classical music playing