Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
StrawberryAnnie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm in one of those moods....

..to seriously downsize!! We have too much stuff. I have been saying this for a long time, then I found this forum. We have a house full, and a garage full. Lots of kids toys and gear that I thought I "needed", but rarely use. Part of me want to just load it all up and take it to Goodwill, then the other part of me wants to sell it and try to recoup some of the money I paid for it. I suppose I could do half and half, sell the items I could get a decent amount of money for, and donate the stuff that would only bring in a $1 or 2, but take my time photographing and posting on CL, ebay, etc. Thoughts anyone?

Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: I'm in one of those moods....

I would donate MOST of it. I have had little luck selling a lot of stuff and yard sale season is ending so I am only keeping baby/kids clothes for the consignment sale in April and only the amount that I can fit in the designated space I have for it. Anything else goes to goodwill or wherever you want to donate it. I am also giving lots of baby stuff to my sister since she is due with her first in March. Even though I would love to have more kids I am only keeping a very minimal wardrobe of girls and boys clothes and if we had more money I wouldn't even store those but that isn't our situation.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
StrawberryAnnie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know I will lose money by giving lots of it away, but I think it's worth the peace of mind to have an orderly house. I feel like all I do is walk around the house picking up, and putting stuff in it's "home". I know we would would be just as happy, probably happier, with MUCH less.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryAnnie View Post
I know I will lose money by giving lots of it away, but I think it's worth the peace of mind to have an orderly house. I feel like all I do is walk around the house picking up, and putting stuff in it's "home". I know we would would be just as happy, probably happier, with MUCH less.
Totally worth it IMO
Old 11-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

When we needed money 2 1/2 years ago I sold a lot of things, but it was hard work. Yes I made some money. But they were furniture items I sold, some baby clothes. But I lived close to the city then. Now I live 25 min from town and 1hr from the city. I donate everything I don't want. It's not worth my time to try and sell, plus I get the advantage of it being gone on my time frame not someone elses.
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Giving it away gets it gone fast. I posted my exercise bike on CL for free (my kids messed with it so the resistance is messed up, the hubs won't fix it & it was free when I got it) and I have like 5 people interested. Hopefully the person I gave my address to actually shows up tonight like she said.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
smilewithme
Registered
seller
seller

I'm in the same spot. My youngest is seconds from outgrowing half of this stuff...and I can't wait to get it out of here.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
JessicaArizona
Yes...we know what causes it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Welll....yes giving it to goodwill is a definite way to have it gone super fast. BUT...my FIL lives in a large house by himself with a small basement corner room and he allows us to store our yardsale stuff in there. I've been purging each room in our house a little at a time and we just take it up there.

Yes, some it only sells for 50 cents to a $1, but that adds up...quickly! Our first yardsale weekend we made over 1K! Our second yardsale we made $800...this last one we got rained out...TWICE and still made $600. It's worth selling even the little stuff. It adds up. And it's surprising how many people want the 'junk.' To each their own! lol

We were trying to get ever penny out of it that we could (Dave Ramsey Program) and we paid of two of my husbands students loans. It was awesome!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
HappyEarthCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: wonder1one
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaArizona View Post
Welll....yes giving it to goodwill is a definite way to have it gone super fast. BUT...my FIL lives in a large house by himself with a small basement corner room and he allows us to store our yardsale stuff in there. I've been purging each room in our house a little at a time and we just take it up there.

Yes, some it only sells for 50 cents to a $1, but that adds up...quickly! Our first yardsale weekend we made over 1K! Our second yardsale we made $800...this last one we got rained out...TWICE and still made $600. It's worth selling even the little stuff. It adds up. And it's surprising how many people want the 'junk.' To each their own! lol

We were trying to get ever penny out of it that we could (Dave Ramsey Program) and we paid of two of my husbands students loans. It was awesome!
Wow! Very impressive!

We've never made that much from a yard sale, but I still think it's worth it to sell rather than donate. If I didn't have anywhere to store my stuff, I would go ahead and donate though. You have to do what you have to do for peace of mind.
HappyEarthCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #10
JessicaArizona
Yes...we know what causes it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyEarthCreations

Wow! Very impressive!

We've never made that much from a yard sale, but I still think it's worth it to sell rather than donate. If I didn't have anywhere to store my stuff, I would go ahead and donate though. You have to do what you have to do for peace of mind.
we'd never had a yardsale or gotten rid of anything in our 7 years of marriage. We had a LOT of stuff.

Totally agree. Do what brings peace of mind.