Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Does not like the name we have picked out and it bugs me. I know her opinion doesn't really matter--my child I'll name her what I want but she could have been nicer about it.

We've picked Mercedes and I love it and so does dh.

So I told my mom tonight and she didn't have a lot to say and at the same time said too much.

One was "a lot of/usually Spanish people name their kids that." (can't remember exactly what she said.) I was like, um ok? We're not Spanish/Latino/ Mexican but I don't see the big deal there? My name is the Spanish spelling but not pronounced that way.

And the next one was "well I hope [Elaine] doesn't feel like her name is too plain when she gets older." Again

And last "you could name them corn cob and it's your choice to do that.."

This is just another thing to add to a long list of stuff we disagree on, she doesn't like, tries to get me to change my mind about, etc....

Love her but she drives me crazy most of the time.

Ah well maybe I can sleep now and forget about it for now too.

Advertisement

Last edited by lecialefty; 11-04-2011 at 09:42 PM.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My mother...

My mom likes the name I chose but made it plain that she hates the nickname (Elizabeth/Ellie). She insists on calling her Elizabeth, even when she was too little to know that it was her name, since everyone else calls her Ellie. It bugs me sometimes, especially when you can tell she started to say Ellie but stops herself and overly enunciates "E-liz-a-beth". Drives me nuts!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
blackberry75
Registered Users

Everyone hated the name we picked for Gman. It's to "weird", no one will pronounce it correctly, why not something more mainstream, etc, etc. Ya know what, Gryphon fits him. He doesn't look like a Jason or a Mike. We wouldn't change it for the world.

I like Mercedes. Also my husband comes for a very, very large Mexican family and not one person is named Mercedes. No aunts or sister or second cousins twice removed. Not sure where she's getting that. I do know a lot of girls born in the '80's who are named after various cars, all extremely Caucasian. It was really popular to name your girl after a car back then.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:44 AM   #4
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

My mom blurted out "that sounds like a black name," when we told her the names for BOTH of our boys (and conveniently forgot that we had already had that conversation the second time she did it). My cousin named her baby Charlee (which I think is adorable), and my grandmother STILL refuses to call the child by her name. She calls her Sue, which is her middle name, and everyone has to stop and think for a minute about who she's talking about.

Sometimes people are ridiculous. You can't let it get to you.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:50 AM   #5
Lu&Ce'sMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2Lucas
seller

My Mood:

DDC I don't think my In laws were too receptive to my daughter's name either (I think DH even tried to find other options because of his parents reaction to the name) but I say who cares they'll get over it.

Then they decided it was OK because they found out Cecelia is the patron Saint of music and FIL and SIL are into that.

PS I don't think I've met a Hispanic Mercedes myself
Old 11-05-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
crunch!910
Registered Users

I won't be telling anyone the name because I don't like people calling baby in utero by the name we've picked. In my mind, baby is not named until born. I do not call my baby by its name until I see its face. IT really, really, really, really bugged me when people would talk to my belly with DS and call him by the name they knew we had picked, or if they even started calling him "Mason" instead of "baby" when talking about the baby in my belly.
So, to avoid that and the issue of people not liking any n ame we might pick, I hope to keep it secret until its born. The only people that will know are probably my sis and BIL and one very close friend.

Can't please everyone... but when it comes to names, people should be more sensitive. I HATE the name my friend picked out - boy or girl, she's naming it Remington. She could probably tell I don't love the name, but I've kept my mouth shut. DH was saying at the beginning of this pregnancy to name ours Mercedes, and I really don't like it. I think whenever you go with a name that isn't very common you steer the chance of people either loving it or hating it. But then even with common names, if they hated someone with that name, they might say "You can't name it that, so and so and so who I can't stand is named that!"
Old 11-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #7
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think she will get over it. I have a niece whose children's names are a bit elvish for my taste, but they are adorable kids, and you get past it (or maybe some don't as the pps examples, but most do).

I love the name Mercedes. And I think it goes nicely with Elaine.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #8
Barbarap
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your baby = your choice. We kept both of our boy names secret until they were born for that very reason. We had one discussion when I was pregnant with DS#1 about possible names but didn't throw out the name we were thinking about naming him because I didn't really want to know what they thought. It was pretty fun to know that there were discussing names we weren't even thinking about. BUT that one conversation sealed the deal for NOT telling them any names we were possibly thinking about.

I always keep my comments to myself UNLESS the person truly asks. And then I always follow up with "Do you really want my opinion?"
Barbarap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy

My mom likes the name I chose but made it plain that she hates the nickname (Elizabeth/Ellie). She insists on calling her Elizabeth, even when she was too little to know that it was her name, since everyone else calls her Ellie. It bugs me sometimes, especially when you can tell she started to say Ellie but stops herself and overly enunciates "E-liz-a-beth". Drives me nuts!
My grandmother does this with my sister. Her name is Maranda but we all call her Mandy, except me grandmother. I don't even know if I spelled her name right because she's Mandy. She also insisted on calling dd1 little Margaret (her name) from the time we found out she was a girl until she was born...

Thanks for the support. I kinda wish we had kept it a secret but we had already told dh's family so we went ahead and told mine. My mom is the only one who has expressed dislike though.

I've met one person on my life named Mercedes and I think she was Mexican, not exactly sure though.

Funny note, sil's bf works for Mercedes.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
KaylaJayne
Registered Users
seller

ARGH! I know the feeling - My mother has hated hated HATED the name Harper even before we were pregnant. When I told her that DH & I had settled on a girl name she asked what it was and I told her she wasn't allowed to say ANYTHING!