Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
jasminegrl
Registered Users

I've hit a rut

I started cleaning our dining room/office area and I've hit a rut

This is where i started

This is where I'm at currently

The chairs need to go in my storage and the laundry needs to go into my bedroom. I can't do either till my kids wake up.
I got a smaller table so that it doesn't accumulate so much junk.
The tote on the floor is all christmas stuff which also needs to go into the storage. I downsized from a big rubbermade tote.

I just can't figure out what to do with the rest of the crap and its discouraging.

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2011, 04:15 AM   #2
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I've hit a rut

You're doing great mama! Take a break and come back to it after an hour or so (or even the next day). Maybe watch an episode of hoarders, that;s always motivating
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
hsleonard
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am currently De-cluttering my house as well. What I am trying to do is if it doesn't serve a purpose in the room it's in I have to move it to the room where it belongs. If i can't think of a room, I get rid of it. Now that most of the stuff is in the rooms they should be I am trying to organize each room.
What I have realized is that I have too much stuff and had to get rid of a TON. Try to picture what purpose you want this room to serve, Just dinning room? Office area? Small corner for toys? Then once you figure out what you want this room to be remove anything that doesn't belong. Don't worry about where it goes for now just get it out into a room that it may belong it. Keep at it, it takes a while to do, and I am feeling I will never be truly done, but my house doesn't make me want to scream anymore.

Also we turned our dinning room into a playroom/office for now. Our house is small and we never used it for dinner, as we eat in the kitchen so it just became the room that served no purpose but collected clutter. SO we ditched the table, put the hutch in the storage shed and organized the majority of the kids toys and our desk/computer in there. It works for us, it made the toy situation basically go away. So maybe if it isn't serving the purpose of a dinning room you can think of a purpose that it may better serve your family for.
Good luck and please realize you have done alot so far, it may not feel like it but you have:-)
Thirty-one gifts
Come swag with me!!! I have earned over $100 in amazon gift cards so far
Zycon Foods -"saving money on high-quality food products."
hsleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Take a step back, have a cup of coffee/tea/soda (whatever you like) and come back to it in an hour. Hey sit down and watch hoarders for an hour and you'll be ready to go. That room is a lot to tackle so it isn't going to get done in an instant. My rooms weren't even quite to that level and I have been working for 2 solid months and I am still working. I have made huge strides but frankly there is still a lot to do. It gets easier in some ways and harder in others because you get in the purging groove but as you get rid of the easy stuff you are left to tackle the more sentimental things and that can get tough.

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Take a step back, have a cup of coffee/tea/soda (whatever you like) and come back to it in an hour. Hey sit down and watch hoarders for an hour and you'll be ready to go. That room is a lot to tackle so it isn't going to get done in an instant. My rooms weren't even quite to that level and I have been working for 2 solid months and I am still working. I have made huge strides but frankly there is still a lot to do. It gets easier in some ways and harder in others because you get in the purging groove but as you get rid of the easy stuff you are left to tackle the more sentimental things and that can get tough.

Your not a woman until people come out of your vagina and step on your dreams. Louis C.K.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #6
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Put all the crap in a box or basket until the surfaces in the room are clear. Then get the room looking really nice to encourage you. When you are feeling brave go back to the box of crap and touch everything only one time to decide where it goes. This means quickly decide if is to donate, but back in the kids room, throw out, etc. Then put each thing where it goes immediately. Do not let it sit any longer. If you feel slightly like donating an item, then you probably should.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #7
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also I find taking the donation box each day very helpful. Don't give it time to sit. Is is embarrassing pulling up to Goodwill every morning? Yeah a little but oh well.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
jasminegrl
Registered Users

Thanks, I like the idea of putting everything from my desk into a box to sort that way, its not used as a dining room ever it's more of a office/ craft area which is why I got the smaller table I didn't need the big one. I'm going to dive in again tomorrow (it's 2 am here right now) and hopefully finish it up. I wish we could do goodwill our thrift store is only open 3 days a week with wierd hours and you can only drop off when they are open cuz they lock the drop off sheds.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hey mama your house looks alot like the housing here in Okinawa. is that where you are at? i am also in Japan. when i have a box full of stuff i put it in the back of my car (like as soon as it fills up) i have not been able to use my stroller for 2 weeks but it is working to get my butt down to the thrift store on the days its open. i am also new to this minimizing and i have SOOO much work to do but i feel really good about what i have gotten rid of already.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
jasminegrl
Registered Users

Misawa but all the housing in Japan is basically the same since the Japanese government built it.