Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
nattysmum07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sick to my stomach! (TMI alert)

For about 3 weeks straight I have been waking up w/ horrible diarrhea and nausea. I haven't been eating much if at all until dinnertime b/c I feel so sick all day long. I'm 33 weeks preggo, what could be causing this? Dr just said to eat more protein and stay away from fruits, veg and dairy (which I'm already doing) and start taking immodium at night. I really hate taking ANY form of meds when preggo so I'm trying my best to avoid this, but really??? 3 weeks of every single morning?! And I've only gained 12#'s this whole pregnancy (and I wasn't overweight to start w/ ) and I have actually lost 1 pound since my last visit...haven't gained anything in over 2 months! Starting to worry baby isn't getting any nurtrients! I have never had this in pregnancy before

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

Re: Sick to my stomach! (TMI alert)

this has been constant for me all pregnancy...I have read and heard that it is just a reaction to the overload of hormones.
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Morning sickness can manifest itself in the form of diarrhea, unfortunately. I'm almost 23 weeks and I have the same problem. No weight gain, I feel nauseated all day so don't eat much until dinner, but instead of throwing up I have to poop...a lot

It's been that way for all my pregnancies.

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

NVP sucks, mama!

I'm about 31 wks pregnant and finding the vomiting is coming back again. I've always been nauseated, but the vomiting was down to 1x/wk for the last few weeks. Unfortunately, just like my last pregnancy around this time, hormone levels or whatever bring it back (and I'm on 8 diclectin/day already).

I didn't gain any weight with my last pregnancy for the last two months - just fluctuated up an down a lb or two every appmt. My OB then wasn't concerned, nor is my midwife now. But, I was getting in meals (I have learned to just eat through the nausea). Could you handle even just small mini meals occasionally? Maybe a bowl of oatmeal or cereal here or there?

I also found that if I had a craving, I'd go with it (even if it didn't seem nutritious) b/c that food tended to stay down more.
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you think it could be an intolerance to a food you are eating?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
nattysmum07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGiggles View Post
NVP sucks, mama!

I'm about 31 wks pregnant and finding the vomiting is coming back again. I've always been nauseated, but the vomiting was down to 1x/wk for the last few weeks. Unfortunately, just like my last pregnancy around this time, hormone levels or whatever bring it back (and I'm on 8 diclectin/day already).

I didn't gain any weight with my last pregnancy for the last two months - just fluctuated up an down a lb or two every appmt. My OB then wasn't concerned, nor is my midwife now. But, I was getting in meals (I have learned to just eat through the nausea). Could you handle even just small mini meals occasionally? Maybe a bowl of oatmeal or cereal here or there?

I also found that if I had a craving, I'd go with it (even if it didn't seem nutritious) b/c that food tended to stay down more.
I did have some oatmeal yesterday but that ran right threw me! OB doesn't seem concerned either, but I feel like my face is pale and boney! Usually I look great in pg'y but this one is kicking my butt!
I agree w/ the craving thing I do find that if I eat what I crave it stays in there a bit longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivhop98 View Post
Do you think it could be an intolerance to a food you are eating?
I wondered that too but why would it be all of the sudden? Can that
happen? I've already cut out fruit and dairy

Thx for the input...all I could seem to find was that it's just you're body preparing for birth. Gonna be a long 7 weeks!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

blech - so sorry, mama. Have you tried the BRAT foods to help stop-up some? (Bananas, Rice, Apple sauce, Toast) Not sure that works with nausea-related diarhea, but may be worth a try.

Also, if you do want to try some meds, Zofran/Ondansetron is really good at preventing vomiting (some women find it gets rid of their nausea, too) and it's a constipator to boot!
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

sounds like a tummy bug to me.... I had diarrhea, nausea, lethargy, and cramps (which was the scariest part) for almost 2 weeks. I took nathuropathic parasite supplements and it gradually dissipated... but LINGERED. I started taking 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar (with enough water to wash it down) every 2 hours and the diarrhea stopped in less than a day. I continued for another 2 days as "insurance" and it hasn't come back.

If your problems are caused by hormones, this obviously won't help... but if it's a tummy bug, virus, or parasites it might give you some relief!!
Old 11-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
KiteGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That happened to me with my first baby, and I actually had to go sit in the doctor's office until someone saw me. Turns out that I have Colitis, which developed during the pregnancy. I needed to be on meds through the last three months of my pregnancy to help the inflammation go down so that I could gain some nutrients from my food. I'd say, as long as you aren't seeing any blood or mucous in your stool, or losing a lot of weight (8 lbs. was my worst month), you're probably just having some severe pregnancy symptoms. If you do see mucous or blood, go to the doctor right away and explain that you're concerned about inflammation in your GI track. Otherwise, I'd stick to foods like bananas, rice, and toast when you're feeling bad. Maybe some soups mixed in with your rice to get some veggies in there. (Campbell's makes great boxed soups/purees with veggies, but you can make your own if you are inclined.) Take it easy and don't worry about the immodium. I toke those every day the last 2 months of my pregnancy, and my doctor told me that it doesn't even get to the baby.

Just my experience, for what it's worth. Just keep drinking water, Momma. Dehydration from diarrhea can cause early labor. So stock up on water, broths, and maybe some jello?

Hope you feel better!
KiteGirl: Mother of one boy, Cy Wife and Partner to John, educator, and perpetual student. I'm into cloth diapering (although Cy is a potty-using boy now!), babywearing, crib sleeping, vaccinating and circumcising, and am happy to support you in what you believe, as well.
KiteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
KiteGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And PS: I was scary sick to the point of losing weight, hair and fingernails when I was pregnant. I was getting very few nutrients to stay in my body- but I had an 8lb. 11 oz. baby, chubby and healthy. The doctor told me that babies are the "perfect parasite," they can get nutrients from our body in amazing ways, so don't stress about that too much. Your baby will be fine If you are very worried, go see your doctor or midwife and I'm sure they'll let you know if there's something to worry about.
KiteGirl: Mother of one boy, Cy Wife and Partner to John, educator, and perpetual student. I'm into cloth diapering (although Cy is a potty-using boy now!), babywearing, crib sleeping, vaccinating and circumcising, and am happy to support you in what you believe, as well.
KiteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote