Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

Setting a schedule??

I'm pretty confused.
My ds is almost 10 weeks. At his appointment last week, our pediatrician asked me how often he is eating. I told her about every hour to 1.5 hours during the day, (rarely 2 hours) for about 5-8 minutes & he sleeps for a 3-4 hour stretch at night, followed by a couple of 2 to 2.5 hour stretches. She was not happy about that & told me he needs to be eating every 3 hours during the day or he will never sleep through the night. I told her that he refuses the breast adamantly after he is done & if I keep trying to offer, he cries & will not take it. She said I need to feed him, burp him, offer again in 10 minutes & then not feed him for 2.5 hours. She said to soothe him by walking with him, using the swing or wearing him/taking him for a stroller walk, but not to feed him until the time is up, & that it should only take a day to "reset" his clock.
I don't think I'm comfortable with this, but I don't know if I'm just being silly. Should he be on a schedule? Would this help his sleep habits at night? I'd appreciate anyone's opinions or experiences; this is my first time breastfeeding.

Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
mamma_z
Registered Users

I'm new mom as well. I EBF and haven't tried to set a schedule with DS--who is also 10 weeks. He also eats almost every hour and a half throughout the day, and apathy constantly in the evenings, but since his weight is ok our pediatrician said to continue feeding on demand. He has been sleeping 7-8 hours in a row at night since last week (yay!) with no scheduling efforts from us.
mamma_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
mamma_z
Registered Users

--almost every hour, not "apathy"... Silly iphone
mamma_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
A lot of pediatricians subscribe to the Babywise school of thought, and say babies should be on an eating/sleeping schedule. Personally, I don't believe we should impose any kind of schedule on young babies. Doing so can lead to supply problems, and even FTT.

I've found that all my babies fall into a natural schedule around 3 months or so. DS3 is 3 months now, and is finally starting to go longer than 90 mins between feedings. But I nurse on demand - if he's hungry, he eats. Making him wait a certain amount of time between feedings seems a bit cruel to me, especially at such a young age.

I really don't think a schedule has anything to do with sleeping at night, either. I've always fed on demand - DS1 didn't STTN until after 12 months , DS2 STTN at 7 weeks, and DS3 still wakes up 2-3 times a night (sometimes more).

Last edited by AnimalHouse; 11-06-2011 at 05:08 PM.
AnimalHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
love_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am currently nursing my third child. I disagree with any schedule when it comes to nursing. I believe it is important to follow a child's cues. They should get to eat when they are hungry and stop when they are full.

I really like the information in the book, 'the womanly art of breastfeeding'. It is written by la Leche league. It does a great job of explaining this.

Of my two kids who no longer nurse one slept through the night from an early age, 8-10 weeks, and still does and the other still wakes up once or twice a night. I nursed both of them the exact same way. Every kid is different.

love_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Setting a schedule??

Oh OP, . That's TERRIBLE BFing advice and I'm so sorry your ped made you question what you're doing. Feeding on demand, no matter how frequently that ends up being, is the best way to ensure that you maintain a healthy supply for your LO. You're absolute doing the RIGHT thing--keep it up!

As far as STTN, your LO will STTN when he's ready, whether BF or FF. DD2 is 4.5 months and usually has one 4-6 hour stretch, then is up every 2-3 hours after that. It's a vacation compared to DD1, who never slept more than 2 hours at a time until we nightweaned at 21 months, and at 3YO is still up a couple of times (but now that's daddy's job since I'm dealing with the newbie, so it doesn't really bother me, LOL!)

Hang in there and, as a friend of mine said recently and I really liked, these may be long nights, but they're short years. <3
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
love_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieW
Hang in there and, as a friend of mine said recently and I really liked, these may be long nights, but they're short years. <3
So true!!!!!!

More nursing also means more time with your child in your arms. I know that is my favorite!
love_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
Mrs_R
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceray7 View Post
Should he be on a schedule?
IMO? No!
Old 11-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #9
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieW View Post
Oh OP, . That's TERRIBLE BFing advice and I'm so sorry your ped made you question what you're doing.

These may be long nights, but they're short years. <3

Next time your Pedi tries to give you breastfeeding advice, I'd ask her what her lactation education and credentials are. She doesn't have any. No trained IBCLC would ever recommend what she is saying - it can and often does cripple Mom's milk supply and can be very hard on baby. Like a pp said, babywise advice is linked to failure to thrive.

This is just me, but I'd run as far away from terrible advice like that and find a better Pedi who is more supportive. At the very least, one who can respect you as the parent. If someone tried to tell me how often to feed my baby, I think I'd just laugh at them and tell 'em to take a hike. Why do Pedi's feel the need to give parenting advice when all we come for is medical advice?! They need to stick to their responsibility as doctor and leave the Mama stuff to the Mamas, IMO.

Don't forget you hire doctors and you can just as easily fire them and find someone new if you're not pleased (or feel pressured, judged, etc.). Its an easy phone call that goes something like this: "Hi, my name is XYZ and I need to have my child's records faxed to Dr. So-in-So. His birthday is 10-10-11 and full name is XYZ. Thanks!" Can you tell I've made this call a few times?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy View Post

Next time your Pedi tries to give you breastfeeding advice, I'd ask her what her lactation education and credentials are. She doesn't have any. No trained IBCLC would ever recommend what she is saying - it can and often does cripple Mom's milk supply and can be very hard on baby. Like a pp said, babywise advice is linked to failure to thrive.

This is just me, but I'd run as far away from terrible advice like that and find a better Pedi who is more supportive. At the very least, one who can respect you as the parent. If someone tried to tell me how often to feed my baby, I think I'd just laugh at them and tell 'em to take a hike. Why do Pedi's feel the need to give parenting advice when all we come for is medical advice?! They need to stick to their responsibility as doctor and leave the Mama stuff to the Mamas, IMO.

Don't forget you hire doctors and you can just as easily fire them and find someone new if you're not pleased (or feel pressured, judged, etc.). Its an easy phone call that goes something like this: "Hi, my name is XYZ and I need to have my child's records faxed to Dr. So-in-So. His birthday is 10-10-11 and full name is XYZ. Thanks!" Can you tell I've made this call a few times?
I agree! You should find a new Pedi. I just do not understand why a baby should be on an eating schedule... I eat when I am hungry. Period. A baby is growing, changing and developing in ways we do not know - who are we to tell him/her not to eat?

My daughter is 5 months and my first Pedi was crazy... After 2 appointments I got the courage up to change (I was so scared!) but am really happy that I did. I love her new Pedi, he has never once rubbed me the wrong way. Good luck

Oh - my 5 month old still eats 3 times a night (on average, some nights are less). I don't understand why everyone cares if a baby sleeps through the night, if it does not bother me then why do they care!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote