Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Setting a schedule??

I found a couple links that might help you feel more informed and confident in your natural Mothering abilities. You're doing a great job, by the way.

http://mother-2-mother.com/normal.htm

Some health care professionals, as well as the authors of some popular books suggest limiting or scheduling baby's feedings. This is not accurate breastfeeding information, and should be avoided. It is very important to follow baby's cues to be fed, rather than allowing baby to "cry" to eat. Crying is a very late sign of hunger, and by then baby is tired, in no mood to be patient to work on good latching, and usually will not nurse very well (or long) before falling asleep.

Scheduling: http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/schedules.html

http://www.normalfed.com/Starting/scheduling.html

http://www.family-source.com/cache/325449/idx/0

http://www.ivillage.com/should-you-s...eds/6-n-137351

HTH! GL Mama! Don't doubt yourself!

Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama View Post
if it does not bother me then why do they care!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Ha! Does your ped even have children? My LO was the same way. She still only sleeps for 3-4 hours at 10 months. My ped said neither of hers slept through the night til over a year. If your baby is haply with the schedule currently and you are too, then leave it. Babys have needs, not wants. They will tell you what they need.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
ERISAmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My LO is 6.5 mo old and we are still totally on demand. She eats about every 2 hours, sometimes more, sometimes less. Some feedings are 10-20 minute "meals," some are 2-5 minute "snacks." She sleeps a 5 hour stretch at the beginning of the night, then does her 2 hr thing until morning. We co-sleep, so I don't mind at all. What's important is that she continues to grow and thrive. When my Ped asked about her eating and sleeping habits at the last checkup, she just said that DDis doing great, so as long as I'm ok with her habits then Dr doesn't have any advice. THAT's how it's supposed to be. If your LO is healthy and you're ok with the eating/sleeping habits, Dr shouldn't have anything else to say.

Courage, Mama! Trust your instincts and find a Ped that agrees with your parenting style.

Hugs!
crunchy-urban-homesteading lifestyle!
ERISAmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
love2bmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would completely disregard that advice. It is so important for babies -- especially breastfeeding babies -- to be fed on demand.
love2bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy View Post
Next time your Pedi tries to give you breastfeeding advice, I'd ask her what her lactation education and credentials are. She doesn't have any.
This.

Whatever her motivation was in giving you this advice (sounds like it was STTN-focused, though I fail to see how failing to feed a child enough during the day will make them sleep MORE at night... ) it certainly was not to sustain successful lactation and foster a good breastfeeding relationship. Trust your instincts, mama. They're awesome.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #17
bea2269
Registered Users

Momma, please follow your instincts. You are doing great! I couldn't agree with these moms more. My lo is 5mos and still totally on demand. Scheduling feedings will wreck your supply especially in these early weeks. Your pedi is giving parenting advice. Ignore it.
bea2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #18
MomToMyMonkeys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I agree. I have 5 kids, all fed on demand, and all STTN at very different ages. It depends on the child and there is no point in trying to schedule them according to *my* needs. If i respond to their needs then they will grow and thrive like they are supposed to.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum- please excuse any weird posts. My phone thinks it's smarter than me.
MomToMyMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #19
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

I appreciate you guys so much! I really feel much better, reading through your posts & going through the links. It really threw me off, because my baby was 7lb 3 oz at birth & at 9 weeks was 13 lbs, so he is gaining very well; why would she want me to change how I'm feeding him? I DO think she was giving me parenting advice & I have to say, it makes me wonder about whether I should find another doctor.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

After a couple hiccups with our ped who we otherwise LOVE, we came to an agreement that I won't give him advice on being a doctor and he won't give me advice on being a parent. Three years in with him and we adore him and have a good foundation of mutual respect. LOVE our ped!