Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
katie-momto4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Too much weight gain :\

I'm 31 weeks now and my nurse practitioner told me today that I can't gain anymore weight I stopped getting on the scale last week because I knew I'd reached my "limit" as far as doctors are concerned. I'm on my 4th pregnancy and I've gained about 65 lbs with each one. I've gained about 40 already this time. I was 130 lbs when I conceived so I'm tipping 170 now. I have always lost all of the weight after each birth and a couple of years of nursing but I feel terrible. Am I really the only mom that gains so much more than the 35 lbs that they say you are supposed to gain? I've never had gestational diabetes or any pregnancy related complications (except for pre-eclampsia with my first and there was a lot of water retention with that pregnancy that didn't go away for a very long time after.) My boobs have gotten huge each time...we're talking 34B to 36DD ++ even bigger after the birth and so much milk I got mastitis with my first two pregnancies. I will say that I'm hungry pretty much all day long and in the last trimester my sugar/carb cravings just get out of control! When I'm not pregnant I usually have a very small appetite and I eat very moderately and sensibly but when I am pregnant it's like my hunger never goes away and I don't know what to do about it. I like to think it's completely normal to be hungry when you're pregnant.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
drkelli
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think that's a crazy thing for her to say! I am 34 weeks and have gained 34 lbs and am very similar in size to you. I also tend to lose it quickly. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Sorry she said that to you.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm 33wks and have gained 35lbs and my dr hasn't said a word about it!
I have always been a big gainer, so whatever. I would think its quite dangerous to encourage a mom to not gain weight for potentially 9wks. That's ridiculous. If my dr said that I would tell her that last time I checked *i* was the one carrying the weight and would be the one to lose it. It's not any type of liability for then unlike refusing tests or something. I've never had GD (although my levels were a high at my 1hr, but passed my 3hr) and never had PreE... But I've always had big healthy babies!!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Too much weight gain :\

How much fat do you eat? Replace Carb calories with healthy fat from coconut oil, grass fed butter and dairy, and olive oil. When you eat more fat your sugar cravings go down, and you body uses the fuel more effectively than carbs.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
rah0315
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
This was the reason I switched docs with my first, and went with a CPM this time. I gained 50-55 with my first and I am start out about 150 and 5'2", so not small. I'm on track to gain the exact same amount this time and I started 6lb lighter. I'm 33 weeks and honestly, I couldn't tell you how much I've gained. I just find out when I have a MW appt.

It seems like you keep the same pattern of gaining, and if you have no issues then why does it matter???

What do they want you to do, diet? :-/ I'd go running from that practice, or do a little research and inform them about proper gaining...which you sound fine.
rah0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
EMX3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Smile Re: Too much weight gain :\

I had a doctor tell me that when I was pregnant with my son. I am a starting weight of 125 and gained about 50lbs with him. The dr really hurt my feelings and I really wanted to tell her ***** (some nasty things). I am right on track to gain about that much before and since I still wear the same clothes (non-preg) as I did in high school I figure I'll lose it after this baby comes too. I've decided that being pregnant is the one time I dont have to so much watch everything I eat. So enjoy that slice of cake actually have two)
EMX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
purple_elephant
Registered Users

I would seriously consider making MH lift up my boobs while I weigh myself and see how big of a difference it makes. Ha! I'm sorry your doctor is stressing you out. There's really not a whole lot you can do about it at this point, right?
purple_elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
angel0123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple_elephant
I would seriously consider making MH lift up my boobs while I weigh myself and see how big of a difference it makes. Ha! I'm sorry your doctor is stressing you out. There's really not a whole lot you can do about it at this point, right?
Love this. 15 lbs of me is extra boobs.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Well I am quite small at 105-110 normally and I have never gained more than 27 pounds with any of my pregnancies (23 with my first, 27 with my second and 19 with this last one). I just try to eat stuff that isn't junk but that fails often LOL. My doctor never said much about my weight because I have textbook pregnancies and all of my babies have been just over 8 lbs. I personally think gaining 65 is a bit much and I think my dr would say something about that big of a gain but so long as you and baby are healthy then just keep on keepin on I say!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I gained 70lbs the first time, and 55lbs the second time. I wasn't big to begin with either, and also lost it all both times by about 6-7 months postpartum.

I think sometimes they just like to say things/give advice to feel needed or important or something. I wouldn't worry about it. I'd worry more if you weren't gaining or restricting calories.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote