Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
pennykandy
Registered Users
seller

Just a vent about everyone's opinions!!!

Ugh, I'm just so tired of them.

DD is 11 months, I am still pumping for her for daycare, and she is still nursing while we are together. I am planning to stop pumping in the next week or 2, but have no plans to stop BF'ing anytime soon. I haven't really put an end date on it, I figure we'll take it as it comes.

Everyone in my office (I work in a pediatric hospital) knows I am pumping, I have to walk across the hospital to pump, so it's obvious when I am coming and going. A couple times a week I get the questions...'how long are you going to BF?' 'You're not going to be one of 'those moms' who BF until they are 4 are you???' Seriously....so tired of it. I've been honest with everyone about it because I really feel like it's not something to be ashamed of, and the more advocating we do the more 'normal' it becomes. But I can't take it anymore, seriously, she's not even a year yet and people are freaking out!!!!

Just got back from pumping and being stopped in the hall yet again and being told some 'horror story' of so and so who BF until he was 3, and OMG...he even had teeth!!!! I replied with 'Well, Stella has teeth' She then followed up with 'If they can ask for it, their too old, but that's just my opinion' Ugh! But this is the same woman who scolded me for eating white bread on my sandwich the other day while she sucked down a diet coke.

And I work in a pediatric hospital, you'd think these people would be more educated...if I'm getting these attitudes here, I can't imagine what others deal with.

Advertisement

Last edited by pennykandy; 11-07-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
pennykandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:
Re: Just a vent about everyone's opinions!!!

Isn't it weird? I got mastitis when DS4 was 14 months old, and my Pediatrician really put a lot of pressure on me to wean. I was quite firm when I said that I nurse until they self wean, which is only a few more months. He gave me a look like I was going to do irrevocable harm by not cutting him off, like, yesterday. Sure enough, just like the rest of my boys, he weaned at 18 months. But, every time we went in after that he would ask if DS was weaned?!?! I would reiterate, "Yes! He weaned at 18 months." I finally asked him if He was okay, because, it was the third time he asked, and was he having trouble remembering? Maybe he should write it down KWIM? Hasn't asked again LOL!
rumblepurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

What is it with people and teeth? My DD got her 7th tooth at 10 months, and we're fine. :P
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Oh for the LOVE! That is SO annoying! I'm sorry OP. People need to just mind their own beeswax! (I totally feel like I'm in 7th grade, after saying that - lol )

One of the nurses I worked with in the NBN said something similar to me. I responded that I might be one of those moms and I think she realized how awkward it was that she was being all opinionated about how long I breastfeed my LO. I also quickly mentioned that there was some great info on kellymom.com about extended breastfeeding... A few months later I saw her again. She was transferring to the LACTATION DEPARTMENT - I was shocked! She is now pursuing her IBCLC and she told me she is planning on having a 3rd baby, and plans to BF for at least 2 years, maybe more! I almost couldn't contain my joy. I said to her "Welcome to the dark side" and we both laughed.

So, you never know. Like you said, its nothing to be ashamed of. And maybe, just maybe, you'll change someone's mind. Keep up the great work!

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 11-07-2011 at 07:27 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Aleesh_Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was nursing my baby in the airport yesterday and eating dinner with my mom at the same time. I fed her, put her in a highchair while we ate, then nursed her after we finished eating. It took about an hour. A woman approached our table and said "I don't mean to be all up in your business, but that baby of yours has been nursing a long time, don't you think?" I smiled nicely and responded "yes, about 6 months..." She walked away without any more "advice" for me and my mom thought my statement was hilarious. Even if my child had been attached for an hour, what business is it of hers to comment? Funny thing is that during our 4 hour flight shortly after, the baby got VERY fussy and was quieted and soothed by nursing through most of it.
Aleesh_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

OP - I just got back from Mayo Clinic in Rochester (do you work there?!) where I spent the day nursing my 5 month old sitting on the bathroom floor... The Pediatric Cardio that I saw also said "Do not talk to the Lactation Counselors, those ladys are so gung-ho about it"... He then said, I am not trying to be insensitive to a nursing mom but you will have to put a 12 lead holter on before you go The last comment was kinda funny. Someone also commented on my dd EPF explosion (HUGE) today and said, well once she gets something to eat and not just milk her poop with be better. Ummmm... no!

On a positive note the cutest old lady came up to me while I was nursing her before we left and said "Enjoy every minute of that, they grow up so fast". I cried... It was a long day... I want to nurse forever, it has seriously been the best experience of my life. I am in awe at all you hard working mom's that pump while working outside the home, what a huge sacrifice (the hours pumping) and wonderful gift you are giving your little ones!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You know what they say???
Opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one

As long as you and your child are happy what do they care??
Old 11-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleesh_Mom View Post
I was nursing my baby in the airport yesterday and eating dinner with my mom at the same time. I fed her, put her in a highchair while we ate, then nursed her after we finished eating. It took about an hour. A woman approached our table and said "I don't mean to be all up in your business, but that baby of yours has been nursing a long time, don't you think?" I smiled nicely and responded "yes, about 6 months..." She walked away without any more "advice" for me and my mom thought my statement was hilarious. Even if my child had been attached for an hour, what business is it of hers to comment? Funny thing is that during our 4 hour flight shortly after, the baby got VERY fussy and was quieted and soothed by nursing through most of it.
How do you think of such witty things on the spot like that?! I'm so jealous! I usually think of these things after the fact...
Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
You know what they say???
Opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one
Exactly!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #10
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A bf'ing mom on livejournal gave the best response ever.

When someone says crap like that say "what a curious thing to say" to them. Then its them that has the problem - they are the ones that feel the need to defend their words and actions.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote