Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
Levi_Elizabeth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just a vent about everyone's opinions!!!

People made me feel so bad about nursing DS1 - I did it anyway until 14 months and then quit because I was three months pregnant and crazy sick!!! But now with DS2 I want to nurse as long as he will let me - granted he is 8 months and already not super interested in nursing, so sad! But I couldn't care less what anyone has to say and basically everyone I know thinks nursing is silly which is bizarre to me, but I say it is your life, your nursing experience, and you do exactly what you want and ignore all those ridiculous comment!!!
Seriously nursing makes me so happy. I love the bonding time and the whole experience!!! Enjoy it and do it as long as you can!

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #12
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
A bf'ing mom on livejournal gave the best response ever.

When someone says crap like that say "what a curious thing to say" to them. Then its them that has the problem - they are the ones that feel the need to defend their words and actions.
That's great! I need to remember that! DD is 13 mos and still nursing about 7 times a day, about 80% of her nutrition still come from me, mostly because she won't drink out of a cup at all dispite my best efforts, and I'm concerned she will get dehydrated. I get comments like that if I NIP, but it's not usually that often. Sometimes you just have to get nasty. If you walk around with the "don't mess with me or I'll kill you look" they may leave you alone.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The teeth thing kills me- my brother's baby was born with a tooth! Sooo, she was too old to nurse AT BIRTH????? Um, not so much. LOL. As for the comments, I have no defenses- I let them get under my skin and smolder. I need to work on it.

One more thing that may make you feel better-
I nursed DD til she was 14 months and got nasty comments.
I formula fed my foster son til he was a 12 months, and got nasty comments.
I am breastfeeding my second DD, but now comments are focused on "having my hands full, reminding me I "did this to myself" and stating "#3 was a whoops, huh?"

People just have no boundaries, and for some reason feel the need to criticize everything.
That said, the fact that employees at a pediatric office take issue with breastfeeding blows my mind. THose people need a lactation/breastfeeding education class, ASAP!
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I can attest that talking freely about it does open up some minds. There are some ladies at my work who thought I was wacko for still nursing my first at 12 months. And then when I was still nursing her when I was pregnant. And then tandem nursing. Etc. We had some frank discussions about it. But now, they don't seem so uncomfortable with nursing older kids anymore. Nobody acts weird now that I am still nursing my 2nd at 2 years old. It's like, they used to think that that was only something that *those people* did, but now that they knew one of those people, and I was actually a pretty normal person, it somehow normalized the whole thing for them.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #15
LilandVivsMom
Registered Users

Today is my first day not pumping at work after cutting back my sessions the last few weeks. DD2 actually started to reverse cycle even though we increased her solids at daycare, but that's another thread. The main reason I pump weaned was so that I wouldn't have to hear from anyone at work about how I'm "still" breastfeeding past her 1 year bday. People can be really nasty and inappropriate. OP, you are a great mom! Don't let their negativity get in the way of your happiness.
LilandVivsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #16
pennykandy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama View Post
OP - I just got back from Mayo Clinic in Rochester (do you work there?!) where I spent the day nursing my 5 month old sitting on the bathroom floor...
Nope, I work at Children's in Mpls. I can't believe they didn't have somewhere else you could nurse your baby!!! Here we do have a good lactation program at least which includes several lactation rooms that have pumps or where you can take your baby to nurse...plus lots of comfortable seating in common areas if you don't mind NIP.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #17
pennykandy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopstermomma View Post
I am breastfeeding my second DD, but now comments are focused on "having my hands full, reminding me I "did this to myself" and stating "#3 was a whoops, huh?"
This is a good point and I think to some extent people just like to make conversation, and then end up overstepping boundaries. I mean how many times do FF mamas say they feel judged for their choice too.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #18
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopstermomma View Post
The teeth thing kills me- my brother's baby was born with a tooth! Sooo, she was too old to nurse AT BIRTH????? Um, not so much. LOL. As for the comments, I have no defenses- I let them get under my skin and smolder. I need to work on it.

People just have no boundaries, and for some reason feel the need to criticize everything.
That said, the fact that employees at a pediatric office take issue with breastfeeding blows my mind. THose people need a lactation/breastfeeding education class, ASAP!
THIS! No wonder we have such low bfing rates in the country, when even the "professionals" aren't up on the best things for babies!!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #19
pennykandy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilandVivsMom View Post
Today is my first day not pumping at work after cutting back my sessions the last few weeks. DD2 actually started to reverse cycle even though we increased her solids at daycare, but that's another thread. The main reason I pump weaned was so that I wouldn't have to hear from anyone at work about how I'm "still" breastfeeding past her 1 year bday. People can be really nasty and inappropriate. OP, you are a great mom! Don't let their negativity get in the way of your happiness.
The main reason I am quitting pumping is because I am just very tired of doing it every day. And I haven't been able to keep up with her day care needs lately anyway. So far I've been able to pump on the weekend to make up the difference and then dig into my freezer stash...but just this week I stopped the weekend pumping and have been mixing in a couple ounces of cow's milk instead. I figure she's only in daycare 3 days a week, and she eats everything else so a little cows milk won't hurt. And she's still nursing plenty when we are together.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #20
LilandVivsMom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennykandy

The main reason I am quitting pumping is because I am just very tired of doing it every day. And I haven't been able to keep up with her day care needs lately anyway. So far I've been able to pump on the weekend to make up the difference and then dig into my freezer stash...but just this week I stopped the weekend pumping and have been mixing in a couple ounces of cow's milk instead. I figure she's only in daycare 3 days a week, and she eats everything else so a little cows milk won't hurt. And she's still nursing plenty when we are together.
I have to admit, it is a bit liberating not having to spend my breaks and lunch pumping! And DD eats a ton at daycare and nurses a ton at home and on my days off. I could never keep up with her either, it was a bummer. Now my freezer stash is for when I want to sleep for a solid 8 hours!
LilandVivsMom is offline   Reply With Quote