Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
Mount*n*sunshine
Registered Users

Parents of high need babies/toddlers support?

I have a toddler (15mo) who is high needs. Life with her is exhuasting sometimes and it would be great to have other mamas to turn to for support. I feel sometimes that my fiends and family really don't understand. I told her yesterday that she had to wait 2hrs to nurse and then spent an hour and a half of misery and just gave in. I fully believe in the whole on cue thing, but at 15mo it would be nice if I had a break some mornings. My nipples hurt this week she is soooo bad. I keep saying "yeah she must be teething" but then had a fiend point out that I am always saying that. So anyone else deal with a high needs babe?
Sarah

Advertisement

Mount*n*sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: Parents of high need babies/toddlers support?

I have a very high needs child. He is now 31/2 and he's calmed down tremendously, but when he was younger it was BAD. Even from birth, he threw up every time he ate, without fail, up until he was 1. Then he was really picky about what he ate.
Then he moved on to tantrums, which he had so often and so severely that I was conviced in my heart of hearts that he had something going on in his head. He also was very late to speak, so he went to speech therapy. He went to occupational therapy.
We got a lot of advice from people who convinced us first that he was autistic and then that he had asperger's. Then we were told we spoiled him, we didn't give him enough attention, we just weren't doing SOMETHING right. The tantrums are much less now, but they sometimes still erupt out of nowhere and for no apparent reason. But we're handling it.

So, I know where you're coming from, and I know exactly what it feels like to want to throw up your hands and give up mothering altogether. Feel free to pm me if you want.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:33 AM   #3
ltelly00
Registered Users

DD is the same age. She's not as into nursing anymore, but when she wants to she wants to and will do anything it takes to get her way! She's like that with anything. I'm really at a loss of what to do about any of her tantrums at this age. It does get stressful. I've heard of lots of recommendations for "raising your spirited child" and am planning to check it out! Anything has got to help!!!
ltelly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son is only 9 weeks (5 adjusted) and he's already so high-needs! I've done everything I can for him, and sometimes he just cries anyway! I hold him, he cries. I put him down, he cries. I change his diaper, he cries. I feed him, he cries. It's gotten a little better the past couple of days when I've learned not to be stressed out. I think a lot of it was him feeding off my stress. But he's still a very hands-on, high-needs baby. A friend suggested I read "The Happiest Baby on the Block", but I haven't gotten a chance to get it yet.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #5
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Yes, my middle child is high needs and super sensitive. On the bright side of it all (and you know the dark side!), she is the most fun and spunky girl I have ever met.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
Mount*n*sunshine
Registered Users

I so reccomend the happiest baby book. I would take it out of the library though. The auther could've summed it up in a pamphlet lol.
Anyone interested in a weekly support thread? I really could use it.
Sarah
Mount*n*sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds good to me.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #9
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I could use it. My 9 month old is high-needs...and none of my 'friends' understand/believe the high-needs thing...they think i can just do CIO with him and he'll get over it. No, not that easy....not only would it not work, I don't believe in CIO. Anyway, I'm all for a support thread!