Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
nalazimbala
Registered Users
seller

Packing for extended trip

I know there have been some previous threads about how many clothes we need, but I have a specific question and figured the ladies here might have the best insight...

We are planning a really long trip around Europe(possibly 6 months or more), but we need to pack as little as possible. Our plan is to take 2 large backpacks and one small backpack. It will be me, my husband and our 2 kids (2 and 4). So we've been trying to figure out what is the bare minimum we should take. We may only be able to do laundry once a week, but we don't have to have fresh clothes every day (hope no one thinks we're gross). We are going to be out in the country on farms and possibly doing some pretty dirty work some days. So I figure, we have work clothes that get dirty...end of day, take a shower and put on jammies/lounge wear, next day put work clothes back on. I may not be doing as much dirty work as hubby, but the kids are probably going to be playing outside once the weather warms.

That's another thing, we can't afford to pack for more than one season, so I was thinking we will pack for winter. When summer comes, I'll cut the kids sleeves/pants legs to make short sleeves and shorts.

So my main question is, how much should we take as far as shirts, long sleeve vs short sleeve, pants, jeans, shorts, shoes? It's going to be pretty cold when we start, but the summer should be pretty mild. I'll tell you what I was thinking, and anyone feel free to tell me if you think this will work or not...

For me:
1-2 pr thermal tights (to wear under jeans on chilly days)
1 pr work jeans
1 pr nicer jeans
1 pr pants that roll to capris
1 pr capris
1-2 base layer tops
4-5 shirts
1 nicer shirt
1-2 bottoms to sleep in?
7 pr undies
2-3 bras
4-5 pr socks
1 sweater
1 fleece + rain jacket = my coat
boots
keens (sandals)

for the kids (each):
3 pr pajamas
5 shirts
4 pr pants
1 nice outfit (not church nice...just nicer than play clothes to wear to town)
7 pr undies (for DD...DS we're still working on PT...really don't want to pack bulky training pants!)
fleece + rain jacket
2 hats (one warm, one for sun)
tennis shoes
keens

Does that seem reasonable? Am I forgetting something? Is that too much/too little?

I'm also hoping that if we can live like this at least 6 months, then we will be able to continue to keep our clothing to a minimum even after we come back. We are planning to sell of most of our stuff before we leave and make a fresh start when we return.

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 05:18 AM   #2
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Packing for extended trip

I think you are underprepared for winter. We get down to -26 degrees in winter. It is extreme cold here with feet upon feet of snow.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
nalazimbala
Registered Users
seller

Re: Packing for extended trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
I think you are underprepared for winter. We get down to -26 degrees in winter. It is extreme cold here with feet upon feet of snow.
Well, I think it will depend on exactly where we end up going. I know we've been in Ireland in January and it's pretty mild there. One of our first stops will probably be in France which could be chilly or mild depending on where we go. Also, we won't be flying in until the end of February, so we should be missing a good bit of the winter. But we'll definitely reconsider our clothing options if we'll be going somewhere really cold early in our trip.