Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:26 AM   #1
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Flats @ night and ammonia!

DS is going to be 1 year old on Monday, and over the last few months I have noticed his diapers have had strong ammonia issues. I thought it was my fitteds I had been using, so I switched to all flats (flour sack towels).

When we 1st started the flats at night, they were still stinkym, then He went through a 2 week period where his diaper just smelled like fresh pee in the morning, but went right back to ammonia. I do TONS of rinses in my wash routine, so I know the flats are good and clean....He wears wool shorties under his pj's. Is this just the dreaded toddler pee or can I try something to fix it? It stinks up his WHOLE room ewww!

thanks!

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
shreck
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flats @ night and ammonia!

Have you tried adding a tiny splash of bleach to the wash cycle? I found that it really helped to keep ammonia at bay. With my last toddler I also remember rinsing the overnight diapers before tossing in the pail.... and once I was preggo and not feeling great I just made it super easy on myself and switched to disposables for night.
shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Well bleach will only help if you diapers have a buildup/ammonia issue but I find that pretty unlikely with flats. Toddler pee STINKS and if he sleeps a long time (my son sleeps 12 hours) it is going to stink. The pee is just sitting in the diapers being exposed to the air and it turns into stinky ammonia just like your diapers sitting in a pail are going to start smelling. NOW if it is smelly as soon as he pees that is a different problem. Sposies have frangrances and chemicals in them to mask the smell (but I think sposies smell even worse ) I just rinse our morning diapers before I put them in the pail so they quit stinking up the house LOL. OH and diet can change the smell of the pee and making sure they drink lots of water seems to make pee a bit less stinky.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
MomBecks
Registered Users

It sounds like they may not be getting clean enough. You may need to use more detergent. Flats rinse out really well, so you're probably getting all the detergent out. I also add a couple Tb bleach to every hot wash. Toddler pee has a lot more bacteria which makes it harder to wash out even with flats. If you're using wool they really shouldn't smell like ammonia in the am. HTH!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I boiled mine after about 2 years of use for ammonia. Worked great!
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

yeah I add 1/4 cup of bleach to each load of diapers, and the detergent is fine and my pockets and PF are nice and clean. I guessing its just because he is getting bigger and eats all kinds of stuff now, PLUS sleeps about 11-12 hrs a night. it is pretty rank lol!

thanks!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is the ammonia burning his skin? I have to either regularly bleach or boil nighttime inserts, and now I wet-pail them too. Since I've started a routine of regular wet pailing and bleaching, my son's nighttime diapers will be soaked but not a trace of ammonia. He's 2 1/2.

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrlgrl105 View Post
yeah I add 1/4 cup of bleach to each load of diapers, and the detergent is fine and my pockets and PF are nice and clean. I guessing its just because he is getting bigger and eats all kinds of stuff now, PLUS sleeps about 11-12 hrs a night. it is pretty rank lol!

thanks!
See all this info reaffirms my original post. I really think some kids pee is just strong and after it is sitting in a diaper for that long it is just gonna stink. My 4 month olds diapers don't smell bad in the morning but my 2 1/2 year olds diapers just are stinky and some days are worse than others which is why I think diet plays a roll.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well since I cant change the fact he is getting older, and I already use bleach each time, maybe its time to try to wet pail only his overnight stuff and see if it helps.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrlgrl105 View Post
Well since I cant change the fact he is getting older, and I already use bleach each time, maybe its time to try to wet pail only his overnight stuff and see if it helps.
This is basically what I did with DD's overnight inserts when she reached that age. They went into a wetpail with water and a glug of vinegar. If I had time, I rinsed them first, but not always. It was the only thing that kept the smell at bay.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote