Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 11-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Registered Users
Vitamin D

I have read that it is important to give your baby Vitamin D supplements if you breastfeed. My doctor has never mentioned this. Is this something I should be doing? If so, any recommendations on a product to use and how to administer it? Thanks

alitule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Registered Users
We used the D Vi Sol drops. People have different opinions on whether it's necessary. If you trust your ped, ask them. I personally felt that it was worth it gor us.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Vitamin D

It might be a good idea. It might be unnecessary. Risk VS. Benefits.
Wife to my sweetheart and SAHM to my little lovey, Colin (12/10) my little family
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
No Longer Here
My Mood:

also depends greatly on where you live. We are in texas so get TONS of sun. I also when nursing take a higher dose of vit D so baby gets it through my milk.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
Registered Users

I dont find it necessary. I take vitamin D supplement myself. Breastmilk is supposed to have everything baby needs so, why mess with perfection?
njw3mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Registered Users

They now recommend vitamin D supplements for everyone: breastfed babies, formula fed babies, children, adults. Formula just already has added the supplemental D into the mix, so you don't need anything extra. Everyone else would, including breastfed babies.

It is possible for mama to supplement herself at a high level (4000+ units daily) and for that to get to baby through the milk. You can also give baby their own supplement. D-Vi-Sol is popular, but I refuse to use it for a variety of reasons. I like the Carlson D Drops.

Here is the LLL recommendation, in favor of supplementing with vitamin D:
-Alicia, mommy to
Munchkin (5/19/06) and Sweets (4/25/09)
CEVmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
Registered Users

For some reason vitamin D seems to bring out the alarmist in people.

Your baby needs a grand total of (are you sitting down?) 15 minutes a week of direct sunlight to get enough vitamin D. If you live under perpetual cloud cover, a supplement might be a good idea, but I'd recommend you take it instead of giving it to the baby.

Just some thoughts from a certified lactation counselor. (not that this means anything, even all the "professionals" seem to disagree about this one.)
iHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Registered Users

If you do give fit D supplements, Carlson drops are soooo much easier than the D Vi Sol! Just one drop on your nipple before feeding, or you can put it on their tongue or mix with food.

But to answer your question, don't feel bad if you haven't been doing it. My BF baby had perfectly fine fit D levels (tested upon my request when she was 12 mo) despite not supplementing her and getting very little sun (we live in MN). That said, now that I found an easier way to give my girls vit D, I will be supplementing both of them this winter just in case.....but keep in mind we get NO sun most of the winter because it is either too overcast or too cold!
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Registered Users
We use carlson's too
From the information presented at the LLL Leader Conference we don't get adequate amounts of VitD from sunlight.
Single Mommy to my 3 year old DS born all natural. We are a Cosleeping, Breastfeeding, Babywearing Non-Vaxing DUO!!
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote