Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

PCOS causing supply concern ideas for building best supply possible update post 4

Macallen is here.

We had a repeat c section after planned VBac was a no go at 40 weeks due to positioning. 9 percent weight loss with hospital Pedi not willing to discharge without supplement for weight loss and high jaundice levels.

I am a PCOS person with history of low milk supply last baby. Nursed 9 months but had to have supplements with every feed. Baby started refusing at 9 months.

So, I am a week postpartum.. I am taking Fenugreek and pumping every feed round clock. very tired. Anywho any other suggestions on building supply. Eating oatmeal and dark green veggies too.

Advertisement

Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old

Last edited by TaraB; 11-10-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: update:
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
Meghan5348
Registered Users
seller

Re: PCOS csusing supply concern ideas for builing best supply possible

I am PCOS too and I have triplets. I pumped every 3 hours without fail. By week 2 I had tons of milk! It was super frustrating in the beginning as I was only getting a little milk at each pump but it came. Dont give up, keep positive. If breast feeding is important to you then you will make it work. Lots of people told me I would never get enough milk for 1 let alone all 3 of my babies but I kept trying and they were all 3 exclusively bf for 6 months! My last weened at 2 1/2. Good luck and keep positive!!!!
Meghan5348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
iHeart
Registered Users
seller

Hey there. I'm a Certified Lactation Counselor and dealing with low supply issues is kind of "my thing". I was about to write a long ole post about things you could try... but I stopped myself because that might not be what you need. Sometimes when you're super exhausted you just need some support.

Keep up the good work mama. You're doing the best thing for your little one. Just remember that it isn't all or nothing. Some breast milk is always better than no breast milk, so just keep doing the best that you can do. As Meghan said, it will get better if you keep at it.

If you do want me to give you way too much advice on things to try, feel free to PM me. ;-)
iHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
triplet-momma
Registered Users
seller

I ended up on domperidone and more milk special blend and it saved our relationship. With that I was able to transiton K off bottles and supplements (NICU babe) onto the breast full time. My supply still isn't great, but he is 9 months and we are still going
Old 11-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

thanks every one. We went to the Breastfeeding clinic today. Macallan is able to transfer an ounce (30 ml) during a feed at 7 days old. THis is way better than my last child that could only transfer 26 ml at 3 weeks old and 32 ml at 5 weeks old. I am excited to know that is getting better. So the game plan is to hit it hard for the next 2 weeks and revisit to make a long term plan.

We are taking 4 tablets of fenugreek 3 times a day, pumping after every feed. Feeding on demand but waking after 3 hours to get a total of at least 8 feeds a day.
any other suggestions welcome.
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
Old 11-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Are you on metformin for PCOS?
Old 11-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Re: PCOS csusing supply concern ideas for building best supply possible update post

Keep up the good work! I had to go on Domperidone as well and pump all the time. I ended up having to pump at least every 3 hours, but for a lot of the 12 months, I was pumping every 2 hours

Just take it one day at a time...I know it seems impossible if you think about it long term. Just get through each day and re-evaluate each morning- it doesn't seem as overwhelming this way
Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: PCOS csusing supply concern ideas for building best supply possible update post

no no metformin. I have in the past but found that weight management helped more than the ,etformin did.

Does metformin help or hinder nursing?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Before you get too concerned about the weight loss - google around for an article about IV fluids and artificially increased birth weight. I don't have the link since I'm on my phone but basically - your lo puts on water weight if you were given an iv during labor. Its a pretty new study but it basically says that they can lose a little more weight and still be okay
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Keep your baby close. Skin to skin when you can. Think moby wrap, ring sling, or woven wraps. Babywearing is nice, and makes your life easier with other children to chase after too.

Aim for at least 8 feeds per day. Maybe wake every 2 during the day if not waking on his own? Get help around the house and with your older child. Take care of yourself, rest and breastfeed!

Good luck mama!
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote