Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
ccmelia1011
Registered Users
seller

Clicking Noise

My son is 3 weeks old today He's done a great job at eating and at his 2 week checkup had already passed his birthweight by 1 lb 1.5 oz; however, he tends to start 'clicking' while feeding, especially on one side. I've noticed that when he does this, my nipple gets pretty raw and hurts (whereas when he's not clicking, it doesn't hurt). His latch looks great (nice and wide, lips flanged outward) and I can't tell a difference in how it looks from when he clicks to when he doesn't click. I think he might be doing something with his tounge, but can't tell because I can't see his tounge. I'll relatch him several times to try and get him to stop clicking, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern to anything.

Has anyone else had this issue - how can you fix something when you can't tell whats wrong?

Advertisement

ccmelia1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
kateroc
Registered Users
seller

Look up info on "bubble palate" - my ds has one and my understanding is that's why he "clicks",although there could be other causes for the clicking, idk. With my ds, the clicking is him breaking the suction with each suck. If your LO is gaining ok, I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Connor
Registered Users
seller

If he's clicking he's getting air. His latch should be airtight. Just make sure he's latched on well and positioned properly.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Re: Clicking Noise

My DD does this sometimes too. For her, it means her position is a little off, and she's sucking in air because the seal isn't airtight. I would try removing and relatching, and maybe adjusting his position when this happens. It'll keep hurting like that if you don't modify how he's feeding when clicking.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
miraclebaby
Registered Users
seller

does he have a short frenulum? Also clicking could be s sign of asymptomatic thrush. Maybe check that?

Join me swagging http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/stephlawler
miraclebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
iHeart
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraclebaby View Post
does he have a short frenulum? Also clicking could be s sign of asymptomatic thrush. Maybe check that?

Clicking is pretty common with tongue tie. I'd definitely check the frenulum. That would also explain your nipple pain, if sometimes he can't get a deep latch because of a tight tongue. Otherwise, it probably is just a position issue. When it happens, pull him off and try re-latching.

iHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #7
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the others, if its not a tongue or lip tie, the next i would check is for thrush. If its not that, then probably a positioning issue. My dd clicked, she has an upper lip tie.
Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara'sMommy
I agree with the others, if its not a tongue or lip tie, the next i would check is for thrush. If its not that, then probably a positioning issue. My dd clicked, she has an upper lip tie.
Actually, I'd go the other way around. I'd try unlatching/relatching to see if it stops the click. I know, my daughter clicked more on my left-side because it was easier to position on my right. So there wasn't an air tight seal. Unlatch/relatch would fix it though.

If that doesn't work, Then I'd do as pp suggested and check tongue tie and thrush.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
poskozim
Registered Users
seller

My DS clicked because he was tongue tied, and it was quite painful until we got it snipped.
poskozim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
rebelflame
Registered Users
seller

One out of five of my babes clicked. I was going crazy trying to solve the clicking issue, lactation consultants, docs, la leche leagues.. etc.. Until one day, she just quit around a couple months old.
rebelflame is offline   Reply With Quote