Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
EuphoricDysphoria's Avatar
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,080
My Mood:
DS has made me thankful for living in Canada

Time and time again I keep seeing posts about high health insurance costs, hospital bills, cost of delivering a baby etc...

It makes me sad to think about how family's have to be burdened by the cost of birth or an emergency hospital visit. I know our healthcare is FAR from perfect and in some situations privatize care would be better however I'm so thankful I don't have to worry about a bill in the mail or budgeting so much a month for healthcare.

Dh's benefits at work aren't very good and barely cover "extras" (eye exams, glasses, chiro etc..) but I honestly feel humbled and I should never complain.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

__________________
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -- Ambrose Redmoon
EuphoricDysphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
ChocoMeijin's Avatar
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 659
My Mood:
Totally agree! I also feel our hospitals/doctors are more AP friendly too; it was all about breastfeeding, skin to skin, nursing on demand, having your newborn beside you in the hospital, etc etc that was all gone over in my prenatal class too. Love it!
__________________
Mama to my wonderful little DS April 5th, 2011
VGBeads Get your favourite video game character beaded up!
ChocoMeijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
mumtwiceover
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,120
Re: DS has made me thankful for living in Canada

I was completely coming to post this very thing - I can't imagine being uber pregnant (or even just a little LOL) and have to worry about this birth would be getting paid. It's actually quite sad to think so many struggle and then potentially spend years paying off the births of their children.

Also can I say our mat leave rocks - American mom's get 6 weeks UNPAID. I realize that many are SAHM's but I work pt and being able to be off and not only have my job protected for a year but also get some EI will being off is a no long a program I take for granted - how do breastfeeding moms do that - I just can't imagine

I have always appreciated being Canadian but this site makes me that much more thankful...
mumtwiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
EuphoricDysphoria's Avatar
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,080
My Mood:
I had no idea the mat leave was that bad
And here I am complaining about the 2 week wait and how you are only paid for 50 weeks instead of 52.

I recently had a molar pregnancy and I have bloodwork/doctors appointments every week.

Ahh a big ol' piece of humble pie for me.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
__________________
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -- Ambrose Redmoon
EuphoricDysphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
mgmsrk's Avatar
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 4,247
My Mood:
Re: DS has made me thankful for living in Canada

While I agree having a public health care system in place is a good thing, much of the time the care received in Canada is not something to be proud of. We are planning on going BACK to the US as soon as we can to get access to better health care. I have Private insurances and I STILL have about $20,000 of out of pocket medical expenses each year. I can't wait to get back to NY and have only a few hundred a year out of pocket(not including the $ for the insurance but it is cheaper there then here) and having real access to real time medical care, not waiting 8 months for a "emergency" test.
__________________
First girl born 10/31/09 6lb14oz
Second girl born 7/3/12 - 4 weeks early-only 1 week in the NICU
Swag with me - Zoombucks!
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
JeDeeLenae's Avatar
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vegas
Posts: 22,118
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtwiceover
I was completely coming to post this very thing - I can't imagine being uber pregnant (or even just a little LOL) and have to worry about this birth would be getting paid. It's actually quite sad to think so many struggle and then potentially spend years paying off the births of their children.

Also can I say our mat leave rocks - American mom's get 6 weeks UNPAID. I realize that many are SAHM's but I work pt and being able to be off and not only have my job protected for a year but also get some EI will being off is a no long a program I take for granted - how do breastfeeding moms do that - I just can't imagine

I have always appreciated being Canadian but this site makes me that much more thankful...
We actually get up to 12 weeks, and I believe 6 of those are paid sometimes. Sick leave & vacation time usually go into extending that leave. It's definitely not 1 yr, but it's what we got.

Sent from my overpriced SGH-T959V using DS Forum
__________________
~Cassie~ Single Mom to Jordan 9/04 and Jaxon 6/06 and Kelli 10/08 and 1/11 and Jevin 12/11
Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
carriek38's Avatar
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ponyville
Posts: 9,213
Re: DS has made me thankful for living in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
We actually get up to 12 weeks, and I believe 6 of those are paid sometimes. Sick leave & vacation time usually go into extending that leave. It's definitely not 1 yr, but it's what we got.

Sent from my overpriced SGH-T959V using DS Forum
Yup, FMLA will allow you the leave for up to 12 wks, & some individuals are eligible to receive temporary disability for the 6-8 wks of maternity leave...but that's a portion of regular earnings & not everybody's eligible.
__________________
Carrie. Wifey to F, Mama to Baby Bear, Nugget, and Teeny.
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
mgmsrk's Avatar
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 4,247
My Mood:
Re: DS has made me thankful for living in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
Yup, FMLA will allow you the leave for up to 12 wks, & some individuals are eligible to receive temporary disability for the 6-8 wks of maternity leave...but that's a portion of regular earnings & not everybody's eligible.
One thing to point out is FMLA only apply to people who work for Co. with more than 50(or is it 25?) people so pretty well anyone working for a small business will bw out of luck.
__________________
First girl born 10/31/09 6lb14oz
Second girl born 7/3/12 - 4 weeks early-only 1 week in the NICU
Swag with me - Zoombucks!
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Vie.en.Rose's Avatar
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
Formerly: **le3*
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 939
Re: DS has made me thankful for living in Canada

I agree, OP. We don't have any benefits right now and while paying full-price for prescriptions sucks, I'm so grateful that having this baby next month isn't going to bankrupt me!!
__________________
Happy mama to three little monkeys!!

Like Swagbucks? Give Gifthulk a try!
Vie.en.Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
JeDeeLenae's Avatar
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vegas
Posts: 22,118
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmsrk

One thing to point out is FMLA only apply to people who work for Co. with more than 50(or is it 25?) people so pretty well anyone working for a small business will bw out of luck.
50. Things could use some work around here.

Sent from my overpriced SGH-T959V using DS Forum
__________________
~Cassie~ Single Mom to Jordan 9/04 and Jaxon 6/06 and Kelli 10/08 and 1/11 and Jevin 12/11
Check out my gallery! PM me for YYMN and other knitting needs.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.