Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
DS has made me thankful for living in Canada

Time and time again I keep seeing posts about high health insurance costs, hospital bills, cost of delivering a baby etc...

It makes me sad to think about how family's have to be burdened by the cost of birth or an emergency hospital visit. I know our healthcare is FAR from perfect and in some situations privatize care would be better however I'm so thankful I don't have to worry about a bill in the mail or budgeting so much a month for healthcare.

Dh's benefits at work aren't very good and barely cover "extras" (eye exams, glasses, chiro etc..) but I honestly feel humbled and I should never complain.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
ChocoMeijin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Totally agree! I also feel our hospitals/doctors are more AP friendly too; it was all about breastfeeding, skin to skin, nursing on demand, having your newborn beside you in the hospital, etc etc that was all gone over in my prenatal class too. Love it!
Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
mumtwiceover
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: DS has made me thankful for living in Canada

I was completely coming to post this very thing - I can't imagine being uber pregnant (or even just a little LOL) and have to worry about this birth would be getting paid. It's actually quite sad to think so many struggle and then potentially spend years paying off the births of their children.

Also can I say our mat leave rocks - American mom's get 6 weeks UNPAID. I realize that many are SAHM's but I work pt and being able to be off and not only have my job protected for a year but also get some EI will being off is a no long a program I take for granted - how do breastfeeding moms do that - I just can't imagine

I have always appreciated being Canadian but this site makes me that much more thankful...
mumtwiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had no idea the mat leave was that bad
And here I am complaining about the 2 week wait and how you are only paid for 50 weeks instead of 52.

I recently had a molar pregnancy and I have bloodwork/doctors appointments every week.

Ahh a big ol' piece of humble pie for me.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 11-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

While I agree having a public health care system in place is a good thing, much of the time the care received in Canada is not something to be proud of. We are planning on going BACK to the US as soon as we can to get access to better health care. I have Private insurances and I STILL have about $20,000 of out of pocket medical expenses each year. I can't wait to get back to NY and have only a few hundred a year out of pocket(not including the $ for the insurance but it is cheaper there then here) and having real access to real time medical care, not waiting 8 months for a "emergency" test.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtwiceover
I was completely coming to post this very thing - I can't imagine being uber pregnant (or even just a little LOL) and have to worry about this birth would be getting paid. It's actually quite sad to think so many struggle and then potentially spend years paying off the births of their children.

Also can I say our mat leave rocks - American mom's get 6 weeks UNPAID. I realize that many are SAHM's but I work pt and being able to be off and not only have my job protected for a year but also get some EI will being off is a no long a program I take for granted - how do breastfeeding moms do that - I just can't imagine

I have always appreciated being Canadian but this site makes me that much more thankful...
We actually get up to 12 weeks, and I believe 6 of those are paid sometimes. Sick leave & vacation time usually go into extending that leave. It's definitely not 1 yr, but it's what we got.

Sent from my overpriced SGH-T959V using DS Forum

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae View Post
We actually get up to 12 weeks, and I believe 6 of those are paid sometimes. Sick leave & vacation time usually go into extending that leave. It's definitely not 1 yr, but it's what we got.

Yup, FMLA will allow you the leave for up to 12 wks, & some individuals are eligible to receive temporary disability for the 6-8 wks of maternity leave...but that's a portion of regular earnings & not everybody's eligible.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
Yup, FMLA will allow you the leave for up to 12 wks, & some individuals are eligible to receive temporary disability for the 6-8 wks of maternity leave...but that's a portion of regular earnings & not everybody's eligible.
One thing to point out is FMLA only apply to people who work for Co. with more than 50(or is it 25?) people so pretty well anyone working for a small business will bw out of luck.
mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Vie.en.Rose
Registered Users
Formerly: **le3*
seller
seller

I agree, OP. We don't have any benefits right now and while paying full-price for prescriptions sucks, I'm so grateful that having this baby next month isn't going to bankrupt me!!

Like Swagbucks? Give Gifthulk a try!
Vie.en.Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmsrk

One thing to point out is FMLA only apply to people who work for Co. with more than 50(or is it 25?) people so pretty well anyone working for a small business will bw out of luck.
50. Things could use some work around here.

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote