Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
cookiejewels8
Registered Users

Safe drugs to take??

I feel the onset of an ear infection so I'd like to take something but I'm unsure of what's safe & what isn't while BFing. Is there a 'master' albeit legitimate list somewhere online? TIA

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Safe drugs to take??

Yep - Kellymom.com (it seriously has everything )

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html
Old 11-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
cookiejewels8
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy
Yep - Kellymom.com (it seriously has everything )

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...oved-meds.html
Thank you. I keep forgetting this site is a great resource! Sudafed is approved but it's cat C...hmmm. Plus I've read that can decrease milk supply. Has anyone had this issue before??
Old 11-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Garlic!! Lots of raw garlic. You can cut in up in small pieces and take it like pills. Mullein oil rubbed on the chest is good too.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

You can call Dr. Hale's hotline at Infant Risk: http://www.infantrisk.com/

Regarding sudafed, my understanding is that it is safe, in that it won't harm the baby, but it is not good for your milk supply. I have stayed away from it.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Sudafed works by drying up the body's liquid secretions. Breastmilk included. Depends on your supply strength and how long you take it, etc. as to how badly it can effect your supply. You won't know for sure, unless you take it, but that wasn't a risk I was willing to take.

When I had congestion and a stuff nose, I would do steam showers, humidifiers, hot liquids, hot wet washcloth over my nose and drink lots of fluids. It keeps things moist and moving.

GL Mama! Feel better!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I have never had supply issues. BUT when taking decongestants or antihistamines, my supply dropped in half. I went off them, back to normal in 2 days.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just a friendly note, breastmilk in the ear may cure your ear infection.
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I've heard about putting breastmilk or other natural oils in the ear from several people. I don't understand how this can possibly cure an ear infection. It is a bacterial infection. It is also on the other side of your ear drum, usually in your middle ear, in between the cochlea and the eardrum. I'm not really sure why putting breastmilk, or anything else like that in your ear, would kill bacteria from the infection, especially when the barrier of the ear drum is in the way. Plus, if you're eardrum has ruptured, you could be causing even more problems by putting stuff in your ear. Can anyone explain the science behind why this allegedly works to me, please?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

From what I can find, there isn't any medical evidence for this (correct me if I'm wrong ) but there are a lot of people that swear by it. On some level it makes sense to me but, as you pointed out, the infection is typically behind the ear drum in the middle ear space so, technically, it shouldn't work.

Breastmilk contains phagocytes and antibacterial components which can and do fight infection. I'd think the breastmilk, however, would be more effective working from the inside out, allowing baby's own immune system to fight the infection, not as drops...

If the breastmilk is able to get to the infection itself, then I could see it working to fight it. Just my thoughts... not claiming to know one way or the other.