Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Safe drugs to take??

I don't know about ear anatomy specifically, but if the doc prescribed antibiotic ear drops for an ear infection, I assume that would reach the same place as the breastmilk would. Breastmilk contains antibodies, live immune cells, and other immune factors that help in fighting infections.

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #12
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I've never seen antibiotic drops for ear infections. Usually we get oral antibiotics and numbing drops for pain if needed. I also don't know how permeable the ear drum is to the bacteria fighting agents in breastmilk. Just wondering if anyone had more scientific info was all!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was given antibiotic ear drops for swimmer's ear, or a bacterial infection in the ear canal.

Most ear infections (in children, at least) are viral and will improve by themselves within a couple of days anyway. Maybe that's how the breastmilk works on them? :lol: I'm skeptical of it, too.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #14
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

My understanding was swimmers ear and bacterial infections in the canal are different. When most people say 'ear infection ' they mean a middle ear infection, which occurs on the other side of the eardrum. )
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:39 AM   #15
Chibirsd
Registered Users
seller

Kellymom.com has a good list. Also worth investing in medications and mothers milk. 30 bucks or so on amazon. I am a mother baby nurse and use this as a resource all the time for self and for patients !
Chibirsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #16
Bryton
Registered Users

My Mood:

My pedi (who only uses conventional medicine where absolutely necessary) prescribed garlic oil drops.

It took about 4 days for my daughter's ear infection to clear up... I couldn't even touch her ear when we started w/o her squealing... So, it was a full-blown ear-infection...

If you're just getting one, I'd take something that thins the mucous, not dries it, so that your body will eliminate it... I took some anistar and aniseed and steeped it like tea (my homeopath instructed me to do this when I had fluid on lungs) every couple of hours as needed...

I'm sorry you're down and that I don't really have any recommendations for "normal" medication... Be blessed and feel better soon!

Last edited by Bryton; 11-13-2011 at 03:05 AM. Reason: fixed sentence.
Bryton is offline   Reply With Quote