Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
katieq22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
learning to smile & nod.

So, I have to share my exact conversation with my Dr today. I went because I have a lump in my breast that I had a biopsy done on & came back benign (not cancerous). The plan is to monitor it and when I stop b/f then I can have it removed. The dr comes in and asks me how old my baby is. I say that he just turned 9 months yesterday & his response was, "you know, you can stop bf now. There's no benefit for him at this point & it's only giving you gratification. I hope you're not like my wife, who bf until my son was 2 & I finally had to put a stop to it or she'd be bf until he was ready for college." let's just say that will be our last interaction! Can you believe how ignorant?!?! It's sad b/ some people believe every word a dr says. Had to share the craziness!

Advertisement

katieq22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
amhuerta
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: learning to smile & nod.

Ugh! My cousin is pregnant and she has a hard time gaining weight and is very thin. Her dr. suggested she not breastfeed because she doesn't need to lose weight. I don't think she really wanted to anyway but for a dr. to put that in her mind, makes me cringe. How many has he given advice to that have now changed their minds about breastfeeding because their dr. told them it wasn't a good idea!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
loveramongstars
Registered Users

The nerve of some people. This is why I really don't like doctors. We are supposed to trust them, and they tell us erreranous (sp?) information so much!

Sent from my Inspire. Hope everything makes sense!

Lover Among Stars, a blog about my journey as a single mom with my little one.
loveramongstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #4
hippieintraining
Registered Users
seller

What a moron. Good for his wife sticking it out until 2 yrs while her moron-know-it-all husband makes her feel bad.

My ISO/IHA
hippieintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:55 AM   #5
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
How sad. And unfortunately, most people have easier access to a doctor rather than an IBCLC. Most of my friends were acyually surprised to learn that doctors are not trained LCs .
Old 11-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Doctors are people too. You know how there's people at our jobs who are amazing, and those who you wonder why they haven't been fired? No profession is exempt from that. And they are going to have their opinions on breastfeeding just like the rest of us. There's sooo much information out there, and not all of it is good. I just wish they wouldn't discourage breastfeeding when AAP recommends AT LEAST 1 year. Sigh.....
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Its a good thing you know better. It just kills me that so many doctors that stand to influence so many, are handing out bad information! Ugh! Shame on him!
Old 11-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
love_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra
Doctors are people too. You know how there's people at our jobs who are amazing, and those who you wonder why they haven't been fired? No profession is exempt from that. And they are going to have their opinions on breastfeeding just like the rest of us. There's sooo much information out there, and not all of it is good. I just wish they wouldn't discourage breastfeeding when AAP recommends AT LEAST 1 year. Sigh.....
Not every doctor can graduate at the top of the class!
love_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cloth View Post
Not every doctor can graduate at the top of the class!
Old 11-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
jscmama
Registered Users

Being a nurse i can spot docs that are "in it for the $$" & docs that truly want to make a difference. This doc may be really good at what HE does, but just doesn't understand the whole bf thing. If u think about it the generation before us really didn't bf or cd, & as i am coming to see it really is the exception to the norm now . When it comes to healthcare i believe in patients being their own advocate. This doc might might be the best @ excising this tumor but doesn't agree w/ the bfing. If u have already gotten a 2nd opinion & u think this doc is the best at what HE does (not an lc) then i say go w/ him & just stick to ur guns about bfing. Thats just me, but i like to challenge doctors. Oh..
& so thankful that the tumor is benign!!!
jscmama is offline   Reply With Quote