Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

help me!

My 4 month old has his two bottom teeth and since he got them his latch is terrible!!!!!!!!! If he is tired, cranky or in any way other than perfectly happy he keeps pulling back his tongue and getting me with those little teeth. I'm getting upset because it hurts and sitting him down when it happens doesn't seem to phase him. What can I do?

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: help me!

DS3 is starting to show signs of teething, and I am not looking forward to this!

I found this on KellyMom, if it helps:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html
Old 11-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yelp, say no. End the nursing session and set baby down. Walk away for a moment. Your statement must show baby that u mean business. My boys had 4 teeth at 4 months and 8 at 8. Full set at a year. We nursed much longer than that. Maybe a handful of nips along the way. Baby needs to see that that behaviour takes away its comfort source.

Also new teeth are tender and kinda fun in a way so provide lots of teethers and numbing tablets so baby isn't tempted to do it.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm letting him chew a teething ring first and if he bites I stop him, tell him no, put him down and walk away? How long should I wait before nursing him again?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnic
I'm letting him chew a teething ring first and if he bites I stop him, tell him no, put him down and walk away? How long should I wait before nursing him again?
Depends on baby. With my first son, the minute I yelped and set him down he would be startled and cry a bit. Broke my heart but bad nipping can end breastfeeding so I held firm! So maybe 1 minute? My second son, setting him down wouldn't upset him it was me walking out of his sight. So I would go wash my hands or throw a load of laundry in (it's right outside playroom) and come back. He'd be gloomy I left. I would nurse then. So maybe 2-3 minutes with him?
Old 11-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bump! Thee offering teething ring trick worked temporarily but he is acting like it hurts to cover his teeth with his tongue. He will shows signs of being hungry but put off eating almost 3 hours at a time which is abnormal for him.