Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
grateful mama13
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question Middle Tn pediatrician reccomendation

First time mama due Jan 23rd, I live in Murfreesboro.. I haven't found a pediatrician yet and desperatley need some reccomendations. First of all they have to accept TennCare. So I'm not sure what options that alone leaves me with. I'm undecided about vaccinations , I need to do some more research before I decide.. but a dr with a natural approach to things is ideal and one that is very supportive of breastfeeding a must.

Advertisement

grateful mama13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:44 AM   #2
jenmomtomatt
Registered Users
seller

Re: Middle Tn pediatrician reccomendation

Dr Rosser at MMC and Dr Eastham or Dr Henchel at TN Pediatrics were recommended to me by many people.

I am not sure about TennCare but you can always call and check.

Jen --- Wife to Jeff --- Mom to Matthew (10/17/06) and Silas (10/19/11)
jenmomtomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
HandH
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi mama, I am a pediatrician, but not near your area. Here's what I'd suggest...check with TennCare to find pediatricians in your area. Then check aap.org, abp.org, or healthychildren.org to see which of those docs are "board certified." I would consider this a minimum requirement to making sure your doc is well-qualified. These sites also sometimes show areas of special interest like breastfeeding. I'll tell you that most pediatricians will tell you they are "supportive of breastfeeding", but I think I'm a lot more helpful to moms since I have actually nursed my own child for 18 mos. (Not to be unfair to male pediatricians) Lastly, and I think this is really important, call to request a new patient consult with the doctor you are considering. Typically this is a 20-30 minute time where you can just sit and chat with a potential doc about how the practice runs, their feelings on alternate or non-vaccinating families, antibiotic usage and alternative/homeopathic medicine, breastfeeding, after-hours care, etc. Ask ALL your questions then and get a feel for whether you click. HTH and Good luck!
HandH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
reesie
Registered Users
seller

I agree with all the above. I am a peds nurse practitioner (who nursed) and that is a good approach to finding a clinic that will suit your needs. The vaccination situation may be a bit of a sticking point so do a bit more reading before you go in for a new patient consult. My very large practice does not accept new patients who refuse all vaccines for several reasons. The biggest one is that they feel that non vaccinated pts put the other patients in the waiting area (new babies, partially immunized pts) at risk. Our recent whooping cough outbreak made this even more of a concern. The second reason is that medical providers dont want to cause continued conflict with patients who are not on the same page with how they practice. We love our patients and want them happy and comfortable with the care we provide. BTW it was NOT me who made these rules, I just work there) If pts are open to immunizing but on their own schedule or even partially immunizing we work with them. I bring this up just so that you can be prepared to discuss your wishes. Good luck with your search!!!
reesie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
MamaKT127
Registered Users
seller

I've also heard great things about Dr. Rosser. We see Dr. Mark Hughes at Grace Pediatrics in Smyrna. He will happily sit down and meet with you ahead of time (we did that and asked lots of questions). He's never given us any trouble about delay/selectively vaccinating-- just asked which ones. Haven't ever seen him for sickness yet (thank the Lord) so I can't say what his standards are as far as antibiotic usage. He was highly recommended to me through several women/midwives in the Nashville Birth Network.
MamaKT127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
grateful mama13
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you all so much! All of these posts def. helped give me a jump in the right direction.. Hopefully I will have this all finalized very soon!
Old 01-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
Leigh179
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey mama...I know Im chiming in late and you probably already have a ped by now, but...I agree qwith all the suggestions above about what to do when you find a potential. I did that with a few when I was preg with my first. We lived in Nashville at the time and went with Dana Haselton in Mt juliet. I know thats not IN Boro, but its not too far. She was right across from Providence 4 years ago. She DID take TennCare at that time. I was on it as well then. I talked with her for about half an hour before my baby was born and she was great. She came to the hospital of course to check on my baby and even remembered my husband! They had some friendly banter going on at all our check ups lol. She was very nice and AWESOME with my kids. (DH had a 6 year old from a previous marriage). She was also great about me calling with questions and concerns as a first time mommy. She was always timely about calling back if she was seeing patients when I called. Meaning she didnt wait til the end of the day if I calle din the morning. She would call back on her lunch. If we ever move back the that area we will DEFINITELY go back to her and I have 3 children in all now and am due in April with #4!!!
HTH and good luck mama!!! Oh and CONGRATS!!!!
Tessa, happily married to my best friend, Paul. , 'ing, BW'ing, selective/delayed vaxing, non-circ, SAH/HS'ing Mom to Jenika (5/1/01),Carolyn (5/8/07), Lydia (8/19/09), Caleb (3/30/12) & our angel baby, Harper Lynn (7/8/10/) , waiting for us in our Heavenly Father's arms.
Leigh179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
grateful mama13
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh179 View Post
Hey mama...I know Im chiming in late and you probably already have a ped by now, but...I agree qwith all the suggestions above about what to do when you find a potential. I did that with a few when I was preg with my first. We lived in Nashville at the time and went with Dana Haselton in Mt juliet. I know thats not IN Boro, but its not too far. She was right across from Providence 4 years ago. She DID take TennCare at that time. I was on it as well then. I talked with her for about half an hour before my baby was born and she was great. She came to the hospital of course to check on my baby and even remembered my husband! They had some friendly banter going on at all our check ups lol. She was very nice and AWESOME with my kids. (DH had a 6 year old from a previous marriage). She was also great about me calling with questions and concerns as a first time mommy. She was always timely about calling back if she was seeing patients when I called. Meaning she didnt wait til the end of the day if I calle din the morning. She would call back on her lunch. If we ever move back the that area we will DEFINITELY go back to her and I have 3 children in all now and am due in April with #4!!!
HTH and good luck mama!!! Oh and CONGRATS!!!!

Mt. Juliet isn't too far away.. and I didn't interview as many peds as I would have liked to. I just stopped working and had very limited time and transportation problems as well.. but I interviewed Dr. Rosser at MMC and he was nice, answered all of our questions.. was not for it but said would allow us to delay or opt out of vacc. as long as we sign a waiver. We just didnt leave the office feeling like he's the one without a doubt.. but we will prob end up goin /w him bc I feel like I may be searching for something im not gonna find.. or i could always switch later.. but thanks for the recommendation.. I'm gonna check her out!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
ms.frugal
Registered Users

Not sure if you have found one yet but Dr. Stacey Williams at Tennessee Pediatrics is pretty good.
ms.frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
WeeEssentials
Registered Users
Formerly: cmarie14
seller

My Mood:

Try Dr Asha Joseph of Centennial Pediatrics in Mt Juliet (at Providence, right off 40) We use her and the kids have TennCare. We really like her. There's one nurse that always looks grumpy, but I don't think it has anything to do with anything but herself.

That is, if you need another recommendation. Also, the pediatric dentist on the first floor of their building is fantastic. I can't believe I found both in the same building, but I did! It's called Associated Children's Dentistry - they take TennCare and any age kids. They even got my just-three year old to sit still while they did the full treatment.

Make it reusable! Wipe Solution, Wipes, Mama Cloth, Wet Bags, Unpaper towels, Food Baggies, & more!
WeeEssentials on Etsy
Gabe 3-06, Ezra 9-08, & Madeline 5-10 and Abigail 12/12!
WeeEssentials is offline   Reply With Quote