Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

Too upset to eat!

My newborn (11 days old) is having a bit of a challenge all of a sudden with nursing. She was doing great, but yesterday and today when I offer it to her she gets really upset/worked up and just starts SCREAMING. sometimes I can get her to eat, but most of the time she won't. I've had to pump three times in the past 24 hours because she's just not eating what she normally does and because of it i got a clogged duct!
She's been such a good nurser, I'm paranoid of loosing that! What could be making her so upset?

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
ackeller
Registered Users
seller

Re: Too upset to eat!

Can you explain the scenario? Ie, how/when do you decide to offer, what is was she just doing then (I know not much at that age, lol), is the same problem happening at night? What kind of screaming? I know that one is particularly difficult with your first LO so let me give you some examples:
fussy wah, wah, wah
blood curdling, gurgling AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
drawing legs up?
kicking legs?
flailing arms?
twisting head away from your breast?

That might help us help you. :P
Old 11-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

sure! i offer when she's rooting/acting hungry or after it's been 2-3 hours since her last feeding. I put her up next to the nipple, and she acts like she wants it (searching for it) i get it in her mouth and she just doesn't latch on, continues searching and then starts to scream. It's not blood curdling but it's definitely a wail. Then it seems almost like she's fighting against me, her body gets very stiff, legs straight and when i try to bring her closer she becomes rigid. She will still keep searching if i pull my nipple away, but again i try to offer and she won't take it. She seems in general to be upset by something the past two days, when she's awake we're constantly trying to keep her calm.
At night she seems better...she'll sleep for 2-4 hours, nurse (she sleeps with us so it's usually laying down) and then go back to sleep. Though last night she was awake for quite a while in the middle of the night.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #4
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Get in the bath. Relax and keep offering.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Blindbatbeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My baby pulls away from my nipple and screams most of the time she has gas/poop/burp or she has waited too long to feed. I found out that my baby had a lactose intolerence (as do I) so I eliminated dairy and her screaming pretty much stopped. But she would cry for half an hour before nursing everytime for the first 3 weeks. She is now 2 months and doing much better
Old 11-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

I do think it might be gas/digestive related, but it just goes on and on. I suppose in the meantime i should just keep pumping regularly to keep my supply up and keep offering until she's ready? I suppose I could also try to cut out dairy...i do tend to crave milk the first couple weeks of nursing, whereas i normally don't drink the stuff!
Old 11-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
tibeca
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Contact a local LLL leader. They should be able to talk to you over the phone, get a better idea for what may be happening and help you find an answer. Good luck!
tibeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
fishingfor5
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I second trying to eliminate dairy. I have been on a Total elim diet (turkey, rice, pears, celery, carrots, etc.) for 2 weeks and it's like I am just meeting my true little girl after 4 months. It is SO worth a try!!!
How are your little one's stools?
Hugs momma.
Blessings from -Tori (42)wife to the amazing Dan(41) for 21yrs. Mom to the Fab 5, DS22, DS18, DS12, DD10, and DD2 Homeschooling, BFing, new to CDing, Not so good at Vaxing, SAHM 5 ^0^ resting with the Father till we meet again Joyfully snuggling our newest son born February 9 2014.
fishingfor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfor5 View Post
I second trying to eliminate dairy. I have been on a Total elim diet (turkey, rice, pears, celery, carrots, etc.) for 2 weeks and it's like I am just meeting my true little girl after 4 months. It is SO worth a try!!!
How are your little one's stools?
Hugs momma.
Her #2s when they come out are normal. she does seem to have trouble going #2 though...DS was the same way but at a later age...heck his poo still isn't right!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

I say try offering sooner? If she's not even latching, then in my inexperienced opinion, she's passed the point of comfortably hungry. My DD would thrash he head back and forth, kick, and push me away. The I realized to offer 30 minutes earlier, before she showed obvious signs. Worked for her!

Sent from my phone using DS Forum

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote