Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

What to call private parts?

When we were potty training my oldest, it was right as Pirates of the Carribean (sp?) came out and we've always called his penis his 'goods'. He knows that it is a penis, but we just call it that whole area 'goods'.

Well, on to DD who just potty trained and I can't find a good name for girls private parts. We've used: bum, front, area, potty and pee-pee (those get a little confusing when she's going pee-pee on the potty ) but nothing seems right.

Any suggestions? I've told her that girls have a vagina but she seems a little young for that and I'd like a different word for everyday use. Plus it's the whole area, not just the vagina. I can't for the life of me remember what we called ours when I was little.

Any comments are appreciated!

Advertisement

MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What to call private parts?

no help because we call it what it is. well, actually it is a china because he can't pronounce vagina. Penis is penis. Testicles are bags or peckers. don't ask lol
Old 06-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
allycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We call them what they are too. Vagina is bagina to my 3 year old I really hate that word!! Who came up with vagina anyway
Old 06-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #4
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

About 90% of the time it's called by it's real name.
The rest of the time - weenie, pecker, balls, johnny, boy parts..
Female parts are still very new in this house - girly butt is the only nckname so far.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We plan to call things by their real names, but Ethan is only 5. I admit to saying "Mr. Winky" just because it makes me laugh.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

We just call them privates. She know the name, but typically when referring to her private parts, we (& she) call them private parts.

I do see the advantage of calling them by their correct names, but we have a woman on the block who "brings her potty training outside" (the kids run naked in the front yard, and this is an urban area) and the kids yell the terms constantly, and have been known give anatomy lessons to anyone unlucky enough to walk by.

I must say, it is a bit uncomfortable, I can totally see it happening on occasion, but it has grown to be a regular thing.

I think, for us, using the term "privates" was a response to this.
ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by allycat
We call them what they are too. Vagina is bagina to my 3 year old I really hate that word!! Who came up with vagina anyway

We used to say pee pee, but it became confusing as you said. Now we just say privates.
Well, actually that's what we did with the first two, now we're starting to use the word penis with my 3 yo so we don't have to go through the charade again. But penis is less gross than vagina! hehe
You could say labia.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
Merolu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In my house we planned to call things by thier proper names, but when my son reached the age that he was trying to get reactions from us, he'd pull his towel open and Daddy and I would yell, you're naked! We didn't realize that he would start *calling* it that, lol. I think it would work for both sexes. Boy nakeds and girl naked, we have them both in the house, haha.
I know what a PP meant about not liking the word vagina. I am not squeamish about it or shy about it, I just dislike that word.
Merolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: What to call private parts?

When I was growing up we called that area a wee wee.

Have no idea why.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:46 PM   #10
tntmommy
Registered Users

I am a really firm believer that you should call them by their proper name. My two year old says penis ("tennis"), vagina ("neena") and testicles ("essical"). My one year old is already being taught that she has a vagina and her brother has a penis (she is entralled with his, she races to him every time I take his diaper off).
tntmommy is offline   Reply With Quote