Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #51
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What to call private parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsott
What a funny post to read!! My now 4 1/2 year old started off saying begina... now its vagina... we havent really talked about the penis b/c only dad has one... one time at about 2 yrs old, she walked in on him stepping out of hte shower and said "I saw your snake butt!!"
That is so funny!!! I am trying to call my sons penis a penis and his dads too but I get my husband tell me that is weird and that babys shouldn't be taught that. I think it is just like telling them daddy has an ear??? Same to me, just a body part.

Advertisement

greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:11 AM   #52
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree.... if you make a big deal out of it, like it is taboo, then they are going to go around thinking it is not just a body part...
mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:54 PM   #53
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I agree.... if you make a big deal out of it, like it is taboo, then they are going to go around thinking it is not just a body part...

Which way do you mean that by? By not telling them the real names or by making a big deal out of making sure they call it the right name? I *think* correct me if I'm wrong, that you mean by not telling them the proper/real terminology for it....but I really disagree with you if thats what you mean. By me telling them it's called their "privates" is in no way me making a big deal out of it OR hindering them from discussing them if they feel the need. They're aware that its there, they are able to let me know if something needs attention, whether it be their privates or their butt, and they aren't at all feeling like I'm trying to "hide" something from them.

Privates really aren't just an "ear" or "arm" or any other openly discussed body part. Where I would have no problem sitting around with family discussing my ear infection, I would hardly be able to address a yeast infection, whether I say in my vagina or privates. They are a more private body part. I don't really know anyone that will openly discuss their *vagina/penis". Most people don't even enjoy going in to get their pap smears or physicals....so to me, calling them just privates is fine. It's getting the point across, the girls know their private area's of their bodies and they certainly know they are attatched to them

I'm not upset that I'm obviously in the minority on this...but I really dont' understand how my dd calling them privates, makes her less intelligent or confused at to what they are???

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:33 PM   #54
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I understand the reasoning behind teaching kids the proper names, but I also understand teaching them a little discretion about when/where/how/with whom to discuss things. I mean, dh and I obviously know the proper terms, but have you ever discussed your "vulva" with your husband? When I go to the doctor, I use the medical name, in other settings I use whatever euphamism seems appropriate at the time.

When DJ was still nursing, somehow the whole act of nursing and everything about it came to be known as "booby". That wasn't just the body part, it was everything about breastfeeding...and it wasn't intentional...it kind of started out as me making fun of dh and then DJ picked up on it. I was talking to my cousin who was also nursing a toddler at the same time one day and said something about "boobies" and she freaked out telling me I shouldn't be calling "it" that around DJ. I asked her what they call it at their house and she said that she's tried very hard to avoid calling "it" anything. Now this is straying from the OP's question just a little bit, but I always felt more comfortable, no matter who was around, when DJ would get up in my lap and pat my chest and say "booby" (which btw usually came out sounding more like "bee-boo" or "boo-boo") than when Samuel would climb up in her lap and try to take her shirt off. Personal preference I guess... Anyway, she was freaked out by the thought that DJ would say "booby" until her son got hooked on the word penis and started using it for shock value. She taught him "penis" the same time and same way she taught him "eyes", "ears", etc. but even at that young age, he learned very fast that just saying that word freaked adults out so he yelled it at every opportunity.

Once, several months ago, when I was changing DJ's diaper and we were naming off body parts to keep his hands out of the way, he grabbed "it" and asked "What's that, Mommy?" so I very nonchalantly told him penis and he repeated it. I have to admit though, it felt strange. Since then, it hasn't really come up in conversation Tonight, DJ (23 months) was taking a shower with dh and when they got out and were drying off, DJ was right about eye level with dh's waist. I don't know why this is the first time he's noticed but he just stared for a minute and then asked "What's that?" DH kind of stammered and stuttered and I just told him "Penis...just like yours." DH got MAD and said I shouldn't teach him that because now he's going to go to my mom's house and drop his drawers to show everyone his "penis". So I guess I'm kind of torn. If he comes right out and asks what it is, I want to give him an honest answer so that he knows the proper terminology. At the same time though, I want him to be aware of social and cultural expectations regarding discretion. DOes that make any sense at all?
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:39 PM   #55
aschrimp
Registered Users

Whether you call it penis, privates or weinerschnitzel, vagina, bum or "girlie parts" at some point your child is going to manage to embarass you by either talking about it at an inappropriate moment, or displaying it. That is just what kids do. It's how they learn and relearn the boundaries for body parts in a social context - by stepping beyond them.

BTW - my DH's name is Felix. My 2 1/2 yo nephew can't say Felix. So dh started out as Uncle Pee, which he didn't care for one bit. That was...until he graduated to Uncle Pelis.

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:59 PM   #56
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

Discretion YES. Biology YES. I am just saying, no need to be shy about it or ignore it. Males have penises and females have vaginas. These are facts. It is science. No need for mystification. It is what it is. To not call it what it is, seems fallacious to me. Do you call your boob (since most of you breastfeed) something "petname" like?? It is a mammary gland.... all mammals have them. I tell my daughter that she is to cross her legs if she has a skirt/dress on, and her punishment is no skirts. She follows this because she wants to be appropriate and respectable. Plus she aspires to be like her mom. Set an example. We have graphic encyclopedias for children, and she can see pictures of anatomy. She knows her baby sister was in my uterus, and came out via my birth canal. We teach things through their evolutionary significance, the selecitive pressures that generated these structures.
mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #57
quixb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OMGROTF
This is a funny funny thread!!!!
My dd calls it her bottom/vagina.....whatever comes out at the time. We only have dh inthe house and strange enough she has never comment on it, even though we are pretty free with clothign around here......guess she always saw it so its nothign new....

LOVE the thread, I am going to read it again tomorrow just for the laughs!

quixb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:52 AM   #58
firethorn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Penis and pubis. Or just "my privates". You know what they say, 'K.I.S.S'. Always works best.
firethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:40 AM   #59
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Discretion YES. Biology YES. I am just saying, no need to be shy about it or ignore it. Males have penises and females have vaginas. These are facts. It is science. No need for mystification. It is what it is. To not call it what it is, seems fallacious to me. Do you call your boob (since most of you breastfeed) something "petname" like?? It is a mammary gland.... all mammals have them. I tell my daughter that she is to cross her legs if she has a skirt/dress on, and her punishment is no skirts. She follows this because she wants to be appropriate and respectable. Plus she aspires to be like her mom. Set an example. We have graphic encyclopedias for children, and she can see pictures of anatomy. She knows her baby sister was in my uterus, and came out via my birth canal. We teach things through their evolutionary significance, the selecitive pressures that generated these structures.

I find the way you are "speaking" to me to be very intolerant and judgemental. You're way is YOUR way...not mine. There is no mystification...there is no secrecy. I'm not too worried about my little babies learning science right now. In due time they also will learn the proper terms for their private areas. IMO now is not that time. With your reasoning, which I dont' agree with for me, you would then call poop, feces and pee urine..right? science terms for EVERYTHING would be the only way it would hold water for me. You can't really pick and choice what to use the scientific term for and be consistant in a debate on it. Do you teach your child each part of their eye structure or do you just call it an eye? Eye alone is misleading in the same line of thinking since there are many different parts of each eye. Now, I know I'm stretching things out a bit here but what I'm trying to say is simply, to validly use a science approach IMO you'd have to follow that way for everything. And just because I don't do it your way DOESN'T make my way wrong.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:09 AM   #60
firethorn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am not picking or being nasty but many of you have said "vagina" Actually the part that is there that we clean and the young one has access to learning about at an early age is the pubis. I mean vagina, YUCK! That is the part inside.
firethorn is offline   Reply With Quote