Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2006, 10:29 AM   #61
mom_of_3g_1b
Registered Users
seller

Re: What to call private parts?

My son came up with his own name. He calls it his Pee'r because it pees. My MIL tried to get him to the whole unit his tools but that didn't stick.

One day he asked Jeff why he had fuzzies on his pee'r and now he's obsessed with having fuzzies like Daddy. He also often will ask if people are boys or girs. He was quite confused when he saw his sisters parts but now he's decided that they have girl or mommy pee'rs. I figure that that is enough info for now.

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 09:03 PM   #62
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am in no way criticizing anyones method of parenting... privates is definately appropriate, b/c it is a private area.... I was sharing the way we do things, and really it is the "wee wee" or "chachi" that I think is ubsurd to call a body part. Regarding the eye comment, yes, we do break down the various structures of the eye. Our 4 yr old talks about this all the time, trying to understand why she can see. We get questions all the time from her, asking how various parts of her body or systems work. And we break it down for her. She has dictionaries and numerous encyclopedias that she uses on her own and LOVES to read.... it has been encorporated as an answer to "What do you want to play??" I am in no belittling the way anyone does anything... just giving our methodologies. Not stepping on anyones toes I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon
I find the way you are "speaking" to me to be very intolerant and judgemental. You're way is YOUR way...not mine. There is no mystification...there is no secrecy. I'm not too worried about my little babies learning science right now. In due time they also will learn the proper terms for their private areas. IMO now is not that time. With your reasoning, which I dont' agree with for me, you would then call poop, feces and pee urine..right? science terms for EVERYTHING would be the only way it would hold water for me. You can't really pick and choice what to use the scientific term for and be consistant in a debate on it. Do you teach your child each part of their eye structure or do you just call it an eye? Eye alone is misleading in the same line of thinking since there are many different parts of each eye. Now, I know I'm stretching things out a bit here but what I'm trying to say is simply, to validly use a science approach IMO you'd have to follow that way for everything. And just because I don't do it your way DOESN'T make my way wrong.
mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:13 PM   #63
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

You are right... the vagina is internal... it should be referred to as the vulva, pubis, however, I think is north of the urethral opening and vulva region. Labia is another term that is more accurate than vagina... labia majora for specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firethorn
I am not picking or being nasty but many of you have said "vagina" Actually the part that is there that we clean and the young one has access to learning about at an early age is the pubis. I mean vagina, YUCK! That is the part inside.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:15 PM   #64
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

Pee'r is pretty funny... and a good name since that is all he knows goes on w/ that part of his body......(for now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_of_3g_1b
My son came up with his own name. He calls it his Pee'r because it pees. My MIL tried to get him to the whole unit his tools but that didn't stick.

One day he asked Jeff why he had fuzzies on his pee'r and now he's obsessed with having fuzzies like Daddy. He also often will ask if people are boys or girs. He was quite confused when he saw his sisters parts but now he's decided that they have girl or mommy pee'rs. I figure that that is enough info for now.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:16 PM   #65
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsott
I am in no way criticizing anyones method of parenting... privates is definately appropriate, b/c it is a private area.... I was sharing the way we do things, and really it is the "wee wee" or "chachi" that I think is ubsurd to call a body part. Regarding the eye comment, yes, we do break down the various structures of the eye. Our 4 yr old talks about this all the time, trying to understand why she can see. We get questions all the time from her, asking how various parts of her body or systems work. And we break it down for her. She has dictionaries and numerous encyclopedias that she uses on her own and LOVES to read.... it has been encorporated as an answer to "What do you want to play??" I am in no belittling the way anyone does anything... just giving our methodologies. Not stepping on anyones toes I hope.

I may have been misunderstanding..No problems here

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:29 PM   #66
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've always really liked yoni for a womans parts. It just sounds nicer you know. But since I am the only girl here we don't talk about it much. Kearnan knows that his brother was in my uterus and that he came down through my birth canal and out my vagina, but we don't talk about it much because he isnt' interested. We just call the penis Penis. Though I am sure Tim and Uncle Graham will teach them all kinds of great slang for it. AS for breasts, they get called all kinds of things. Mostly breasts, boobies or nursies are popular. But when Kearnan was nursing he called them "zus" I have no idea why or what that even means, but that is what he said when he wanted to nurse. Now he sometimes calls them my lumpies. As for the posterior, that gets all kinds of funny names, bottom, bum, tushie, tookus, butt, and Patookie are the most popular.

When I was little penis and vagina were taboo words, and we never used the word's vulva or clitoris. (why are the words for a woman's parts so icky?) Girls had "Bugs" and boys had "birds". I found it very weird and embarrassing really, which is why I try and use the real words with my own kids. Though when dh and I are talking they get all kinds of weird names. I do love Va-jay-jay, and also hoobie-whatzits. And for Dh it is his Whoo-haa or Thang. And he has always been partial to hooters and knockers for boobies.

This thread really is hilarious.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:27 PM   #67
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok, maybe I should have asked this before but what age kids are we talking about here? Do y'all really discuss anatomy this much? I mean DJ's not quite 2 and he knows I have a "baby in my belly"...that's all he cares about so I don't really feel the need to elaborate at this point. He doesn't care how it got there and hasn't shown any interest in how it will get out. He does apparently think my belly button is a little microphone where he can talk to the baby and he has a couple of times spoken into my belly button and told the baby to come out and play... Also, he occasionally tells people he has a baby in his belly but I think that's because he knows SOOOO many pregnant women right now, he kind of thinks everybody has a baby in their belly. Or maybe he really does...he's suddenly decided he wants to eat nothing but pickles for the past few days so who knows! When he was still nursing, he talked about boobies some and we've been trying to get him ready for the fact that soon the new baby will be having boobies but it's not really something we discuss all the time. A couple of times at bath time or on the potty he's asked what his penis is and I nonchalantly tell him penis, but we certainly don't talk about it every day. When he's climbing on the furniture or something like that, I'll tell him to "Sit down on your booty!" or "backside", "bottom", or "rump". He came to me the other day holding his diaper and saying "Mommy, booty hurt" and when I looked, sure enough, he had a diaper rash. I didn't feel the need to correct him and tell him "No, it's your anus that hurts"...ya know? When he goes to the potty, he pee-pees or poo-poos... I remember as a kid knowing that when the doctor asked for a urine sample, it meant I had to "pee" in a cup. I knew what a BM was, but when my sister was potty training, she would "poop" or "stinky". And then of course there was what Daddy called it! But I remember knowing the science words for things and the kid words and the "dirty" words....and I don't remember ever being "taught". I guess I just don't really see what the big deal is, we're doing what seems appropriate right now and as he grows up, we'll expand on that. When he asks specific questions, we give specific answers that are age appropriate but I just don't see the need to push things beyond that...kwim?
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:06 PM   #68
Mizelenius
Registered Users

We use the real names and "private parts," too.

I read that molesters will try to use cutsey names to manipulate children, so we stay away from those types of names. (Yes, I'm paranoid!)
Mizelenius is offline   Reply With Quote