Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #951
mms1972
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
LOL at the zombie poop! :-) my theory is if the don't eat anyone for awhile they get slow/sluggish like the ones around the prison and such...but in the more populated areas they had more "food" available so they were quicker/stronger...? Maybe?

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #952
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms1972
LOL at the zombie poop! :-) my theory is if the don't eat anyone for awhile they get slow/sluggish like the ones around the prison and such...but in the more populated areas they had more "food" available so they were quicker/stronger...? Maybe?
I think you're right.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #953
BoyCrazy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: The Walking Dead

I think the zombies were more "perky" in the beginning because they were still freshly dead, and were feeding more frequently. Now they are like a year into the outbreak, so a lot of these walkers have been decomposing for a long time, including over a winter, and food is getting more scarce. I think those are all contributing factors to the changes we've seen. When we saw freshly turned walkers (Amy, Randall, Shane, and Merle) they were moving pretty fast. Compare them to the walkers in Lori's diner, they'd been sitting around starving for a year, they still had fight in them but they were a lot slower and stiffer.
BoyCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #954
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyCrazy View Post
I've been wondering about Hershel's fate too. With his age and disability, he's vulnerable, but I also think offing the old guy might be too obvious. I could see it going either way for him.
It occurred to me yesterday that maybe they will kill off Judith the way they did in the comic, only with Beth or Carol instead of Lori.
My DH joked that they should put Judith in a wrap on Hershel. I got mad at him for that comment. I hope Hershel doesn't get killed off, but I do worry about him with that leg. I tend to think the group would have a plan for Hershel and Judith to stay safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebl0901 View Post
Do zombies poop? Hmmm....something to ponder...
I have wondered the same thing. They eat, so some sort of digestion is going on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyCrazy View Post
I think the zombies were more "perky" in the beginning because they were still freshly dead, and were feeding more frequently. Now they are like a year into the outbreak, so a lot of these walkers have been decomposing for a long time, including over a winter, and food is getting more scarce. I think those are all contributing factors to the changes we've seen. When we saw freshly turned walkers (Amy, Randall, Shane, and Merle) they were moving pretty fast. Compare them to the walkers in Lori's diner, they'd been sitting around starving for a year, they still had fight in them but they were a lot slower and stiffer.
ITA
Old 03-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #955
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3

My DH joked that they should put Judith in a wrap on Hershel. I got mad at him for that comment. I hope Hershel doesn't get killed off, but I do worry about him with that leg. I tend to think the group would have a plan for Hershel and Judith to stay safe.

I have wondered the same thing. They eat, so some sort of digestion is going on....

ITA
Is there digestion happening? I've been pondering this all afternoon. Which part of the brain controls those unconscious processes? They don't breathe or sleep, so I've been speculating that they just get full and things just... Move along... Now we need someone who has taken anatomy to tell us of digestion is controlled by the brain stem - from my understanding front be CDC guy, the brainstem is the only part of the brain that reanimates...
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #956
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
Is there digestion happening? I've been pondering this all afternoon. Which part of the brain controls those unconscious processes? They don't breathe or sleep, so I've been speculating that they just get full and things just... Move along... Now we need someone who has taken anatomy to tell us of digestion is controlled by the brain stem - from my understanding front be CDC guy, the brainstem is the only part of the brain that reanimates...
That is exactly where we went. We decided that if there was no digestion there would be no need to eat so ferociously... Unless it is just innate zombie behaviour to eat living flesh, nutrients be darned.

(side note, DH was just watching the CDC story on the Easter marathon)
Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #957
Shaunam
Registered Users

From what I understand, yes, digestion is controlled by the brain stem.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #958
TheCoach'sWife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post

Digestion is an involuntary process, controlled by smooth muscle tissue. Because smooth muscle only has single nuclei, I would imagine brain function would not affect it.

Sorry to butt in you guys made me really want to watch this though

TheCoach'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #959
TheCoach'sWife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
From what I understand, yes, digestion is controlled by the brain stem.
Hunger yes. Digestion no.

TheCoach'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #960
Shaunam
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach'sWife View Post
Hunger yes. Digestion no.
My DD's digestion is slowed due to her brain injury, which extends to her brain stem. She has no actual damage to her internal organs. They function perfectly fine. It may not completely control it, but it does play a large part.

The brain stem also manages sight, hearing, smell, etc. The zombies rely on those senses as well.

I can't believe I'm arguing about this on a zombie thread. LMAO

Tags
brain eating zombies, they are all infected!, zombie feces