Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
purpledayz
Registered Users

DS and dogs.

I really wish he understood that our dogs aren't just interested in knowing what he is eating. They want to eat it! He keeps on offering them his snacks and going into a meltdown when they take the snack away.

It's also pretty funny to see him shove them out of the way when he isn't interested in showing them what he is eating.

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DS and dogs.

We used to have that problem. And for a while we tried teaching the dogs not to steal his food but we finally realized it looked to them like he was offering, so technically they weren't doing anything wrong. So we let them have it and made no attempt to get after them. It only took ds a few meltdowns (where we walked away and let him cry) he realized that those dogs were going to take it if he offered. He guards his food now and no longer lets them check it out.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

lol. this is a constant battle in our house. unfortunately, ds usually DOES want to share with the dog. ugh. so we spend most of dinner being like "dylan, please do not feed the dog. you need to eat your own food, she has hers" he'll stop for awhile, but before long, try to sneak it again. rinse and repeat. she has, of course, learned by now. and when dinner is announced, takes her position underneath his chair, looking up expectantly.

although, the few times she has actually "stolen" from him, we've reprimanded her. he's figured it out by now, and when she comes near him and he doesn't want to share he yells "no doggie! leave it!" and pushes her away. lol.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That pretty much describes us now too. If they actually steal it, they are in trouble. But usually it was ds "showing" them, and then having a melt down that they took it. LOL, oh kids and dogs are such a riot.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
purpledayz
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23 View Post
lol. this is a constant battle in our house. unfortunately, ds usually DOES want to share with the dog. ugh. so we spend most of dinner being like "dylan, please do not feed the dog. you need to eat your own food, she has hers" he'll stop for awhile, but before long, try to sneak it again. rinse and repeat. she has, of course, learned by now. and when dinner is announced, takes her position underneath his chair, looking up expectantly.

although, the few times she has actually "stolen" from him, we've reprimanded her. he's figured it out by now, and when she comes near him and he doesn't want to share he yells "no doggie! leave it!" and pushes her away. lol.
Oh yeah, meal times are pretty funny here too. As soon as I ask DS if he wants to get in his baby chair both dogs come running. One sits on each side of the chair and DS distributes the food evenly among them If one of them is outside he still throws an even amount of food off their side of the high chair and yells at the present dog for eating it.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh. Our pomeranian has gained 2lbs since my DD was born, and that is A LOT for a pomeranian!!! We have ended up locking her up every time DD is eating so she stops scavenging. DD can protect her food when she wants, but she thinks it is hilarious to feed the dog.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post
Ugh. Our pomeranian has gained 2lbs since my DD was born, and that is A LOT for a pomeranian!!! We have ended up locking her up every time DD is eating so she stops scavenging. DD can protect her food when she wants, but she thinks it is hilarious to feed the dog.
omg! i DO know how much that is for a small dog! ours is a toy poodle. she's also gained 2-3 lbs in the last couple years. that's almost 20% of her total body weight!

as ds gets older though, he spends a lot more time in rough, active play with her. so i'm hoping that will help counteract the weight gain.

the 2 of them totally crack me up. he plays really rough with her and she often runs and hides. but they have a lot of fun too. and my mom tells me that whenever we're gone all day, she spends most of the day curled up on his bed sleeping and waiting for him to get back
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

No answers, but sympathy.

My mom's dog has a love/hate relationship with my toddler. On the one hand, he's super-jealous. (When the grandkid isn't around she babies that dog like crazy.) On the other hand, Little Dude will simply and cheerfully hand over his food, especially prime things like meat. We started separating them at mealtime and baby-gated the dog in the kitchen. I turned my back for two seconds and the kid was out of his cair and jamming a handful of chicken cubes through the holes in the mesh gate. Sigh.
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
purpledayz
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post
People see DS sharing at meals and ask how my dogs aren't fat yet. 2 pounds is nothing on a german shep and a golden mix. But they also have to do a lot of running away from him so I think it works out. They use to keep their spoiled booties sleeping in my bed while I was at work all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleep deprived View Post
No answers, but sympathy.

My mom's dog has a love/hate relationship with my toddler. On the one hand, he's super-jealous. (When the grandkid isn't around she babies that dog like crazy.) On the other hand, Little Dude will simply and cheerfully hand over his food, especially prime things like meat. We started separating them at mealtime and baby-gated the dog in the kitchen. I turned my back for two seconds and the kid was out of his cair and jamming a handful of chicken cubes through the holes in the mesh gate. Sigh.
DS shoves food under the bedroom door if the dogs are locked in there for some reason. I can't help but laugh at him for it. I only get upset about it when he keeps on begging for my food then turns around and hands it to the dogs. I'm starting to think they have a deal going on. Dogs let Thomas pet them and chase them, IF he continues to feed them scraps.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
Whipple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No wonder dogs like kids so much. They get the good food from them.

Our dogs are kenneled when we eat, always have been. But it'll be interesting when this LO is mobile and sharing snacks.
Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote