Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #111
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: Circumcision has profoundly affected every member of my family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
You are being beyond ridiculous. Seriously? Giving your child a choice in keeping his penis whole is most definitely a choice for him to make.

You need to leave the thread. You are only posting in here b/c you want it to get locked. YOU are trying to prevent the knowledge and stories be known in order to help others keep their son intact.
No, I'm posting because everyone needs to respect everyone else's choices regardless of if they agree with them. It is not beyond ridiculous just because you don't agree with my parenting choices. I may not agree with many of yours, but I don't condemn your parenting practices or any else's and support the choices they make as its best for their children and family. As a parent, I make choices for my child that he/she may or may not agree with. Its called parenting.

You are trying to prevent opposing positions. The "knowledge" and "stories" have been said many times before and this is basically turning into we are superior because we do XXX.

I hope the this and all threads like this do get locked as this is supposed to be a community that supports each other and there is a clear non-support on several topics including this one.

Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #112
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OP, Thank you for sharing your story! I am so glad that, if this little baby is a boy, he will be intact for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
So, with everything you give your child choices? Humm... no. There are some things in life we as parents make choices for our kids for. I don't know one person in real life who thinks this extremely. Everyone I know just asks more how, than debate it BUT no one ever asks each other if they were or were not. My son didn't want a hair cut today but needed one. So, I should just say ok. Humm, no. So, he doesn't want to go to bed. I should let him stay up till 2 AM? He doesn't want his diaper changed so I should just let him sit in his pee. Humm... no. So, he chooses to sit in the front seat, no car seat I should be ok with that. So, he chooses to run in front of a car and that is ok too as only his opinion matters and he says its ok?
You can't always give your children choices, of course, but.. I think comparing a haircut and circumcision are two completely different thing. Circumcision is cutting off part of the body. Would you be angry if you were circumcised? That is how I think about it. I would be angry that my parents made a decision about what is necessary on MY body, not theirs. Circumcision is something that can be done at any point in life, so if my son one day decides he would prefer it, that is totally fine! But, it is his body and I let him make the decision. I feel the same way about a lot of things, including ear piercings, I feel as if we shouldn't make decisions for others that are cutting off body parts or putting holes in others without their consent.
I have read the research and read websites after websites and I don't see any solid proof that circumcision is hugely beneficial. Now, back in the day, it was totally the norm. My grandma had 4 boys and it was just what you did, it was supposed to be more healthy for them, but.. we clearly know now that it isn't. I suppose.. My biggest issue with circumcision simply is.. it is a part of the body that God put there for a reason. I feel like if God thought it wasn't necessary, they wouldn't have it. God thought the tops of our ears are necessary, but if a parent doesn't like them, does that parent have the right to cut the tops of the ears off? I don't think so.

So, that's where I stand. OP, I love that you posted this! I read this to Andrew, my DF, and he was already totally against circing any boys we had and he said "well that just totally confirmed how I feel!" So, thank you for posting. I hope this discussion stays totally civil for you.

I know a lot of parents who circ their kids and.. while I don't agree with their decision, I don't bash them or anything. I do post links on my facebook because I have some pregnant friends and I hope they read the links!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #113
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane View Post
Did you not read the OP? This is an uncalled for and extremely rude post.

To the first bolded: If anyone is going to have their kids foreskin cut off then yes, they should be there with them through it.

Second bolded: You're son's minimal pain could be the exception to the rule also.

Just b/c you think you have a success story doesn't mean you do. You don't know what complications your son may come across. Also, I don't think putting your son in a situation that is going to make him feel pain and cry is a success.....especially when you don't have to.
Or maybe there would have been complications if we didn't do it. Its not about my son's success or not. We choose it as it was right for our family, our culture, our religion and our child.

Did you read the posts about one reader felt the posts were leaning toward being anti-Semitic and they were uncomfortable with what was being said and yet, no one can respect her concerns or posts and basically others dismiss her cultural and religious perspective. How would you feel if someone said you were wrong for taking your child to church, practicing Christmas/lying to your child there is a Santa, etc? I doubt you'd appreciate that.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #114
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89 View Post
OP, Thank you for sharing your story! I am so glad that, if this little baby is a boy, he will be intact for sure!

I know a lot of parents who circ their kids and.. while I don't agree with their decision, I don't bash them or anything. I do post links on my facebook because I have some pregnant friends and I hope they read the links!
This is how I feel. I think it's great, op that you are sharing and this may change how someone feels on the topic. Definitely sharing and being open and supportive is great.

What is not so great is when people start making others feel bad about their choices and/or not letting them speak of their own experiences because it differs from what they deem is right. We do need to be supportive of one another.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #115
eliahsmom
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissed by the Moon View Post
This is how I feel. I think it's great, op that you are sharing and this may change how someone feels on the topic. Definitely sharing and being open and supportive is great.

What is not so great is when people start making others feel bad about their choices and/or not letting them speak of their own experiences because it differs from what they deem is right. We do need to be supportive of one another.

I think what most people are upset with about the people who are sharing the opposing viewpoint is the way that they are handling it. It's one thing to share your side and say it politely and in a non-threatening or hostile way. But it is another thing to say it in a condescending manner with anger in your wording. I fully agree that it is not fair to be 100% this is the right choice and no you are wrong for thinking the opposing standpoint on this topic. Everyone should have the ability to voice their opinions. But I think being respectful about it is the best way to go about doing just that.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #116
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliahsmom View Post
I think what most people are upset with about the people who are sharing the opposing viewpoint is the way that they are handling it. It's one thing to share your side and say it politely and in a non-threatening or hostile way. But it is another thing to say it in a condescending manner with anger in your wording. I fully agree that it is not fair to be 100% this is the right choice and no you are wrong for thinking the opposing standpoint on this topic. Everyone should have the ability to voice their opinions. But I think being respectful about it is the best way to go about doing just that.
I think that internet makes it so difficult. Everything I typed was in totally calm and polite way, if I could say it to you in person, but who knows, maybe someone reading it imagines it being said it a mean way.
I think that DS is full of people that fully believe their way is right.. and are so passionate about their beliefs, that they get very upset when others don't understand their beliefs, let alone agree.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #117
Tommys_Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry for typos in advance. I'm on a tablet.

We had both of my sons circumcised and I regret it every day. Everytime i think about it I want to cry. I didn't understand. I didn't know. My husband is circumcised and wanted them to be because "everyone is". We both regret it more than words could express. They have been nothing but trouble. They both have fatty groin areas and their penises kind of suck up in their bodies sort of (sorry. I don't mean to be inappropriate I'm just not sure about actual terminology.) And have to be pushed out with every change. My oldests has gotten better as he grew but he seems to have an adhesion and some sporadic pain. Tge doctor said it was minor and would repair itself but in my research that seems not to be the case. When we asked about it she gave us a steriod cream to thin the skin and told us to push it back after baths. We haven't used the cream because I have been scared to. The warnings say it causes intense burning sensations... I just don't know what to do and wish I could go back and change it so much that it makes me want to cry.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #118
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissed by the Moon
I agree that we all need to be respectful to each other but OP was telling her story. This thread is about her, her DS and her DH. This thread was not meant to be a pro-circ/ anti-circ debate.

OP! You are very brave to tell your story. I'm sorry that its become a parenting debate instead of a support thread for your story.

Blaming typos on my "smart"phone's auto-correct
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
Old 11-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #119
eliahsmom
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89 View Post
I think that internet makes it so difficult. Everything I typed was in totally calm and polite way, if I could say it to you in person, but who knows, maybe someone reading it imagines it being said it a mean way.
I think that DS is full of people that fully believe their way is right.. and are so passionate about their beliefs, that they get very upset when others don't understand their beliefs, let alone agree.
I completely agree. I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I'm just saying that i think we should all be able to express what we have to say and how we feel in a manner that isn't offensive to others. I didn't find your post offensive, mama. I was just stating what I thought. I don't mean to upset anyone here. I think you're right, there are a lot of mamas on here who really do feel their way is the best way. And we are all entitled to that feeling but it doesn't make it right for us to judge others and be harsh when it's not necessary.

And mamas, let's just try to get along.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #120
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
I agree that we all need to be respectful to each other but OP was telling her story. This thread is about her, her DS and her DH. This thread was not meant to be a pro-circ/ anti-circ debate.

OP! You are very brave to tell your story. I'm sorry that its become a parenting debate instead of a support thread for your story.

Blaming typos on my "smart"phone's auto-correct
I totally agree with you. But I did see a lot of people not just telling their own stories, but being judgmental, which is where I see the slippery slope between sharing and bashing.