Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
mommy to 1
Registered Users

help! breastmilk and formula

i wasn't sure where to post this, but i'm having a procedure done where i'll be put under this friday and the doctor said i can't breastfeed for 24 hours after. i don't think i'll have enough milk pumped by then and i was wondering who decides what kind of formula to give your baby. is it the doctor or the parent and would i have to contact the doctor beforehand about possibly feeding my baby formula for that day.

Advertisement

mommy to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: help! breastmilk and formula

The doctor may have some recommendations but they don't tell you which one based on my experience.

How old is your baby? Do you have a plan to pump and dump to keep your supply up and prevent engorgement?

You might consider those formula singles that come premade and you just attach a nipple to so that you have less to deal with after the procedure.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here. I Twice $10 off on your first order at Twice.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
clothrookie3
Registered Users
seller

I just had surgery done 6 weeks ago. My doctor told me 18 hours and the anesthesiologist said 24 hours. My doctor said they tell us those time frames to make sure the medicine is out of our system. If you go to kellymom.com there is a list of medicines they use during surgery that is safe to breastfeed as soon as your ready. I would have breastfed as soon as I woke up but the nurses were terrible at giving me pain meds so I had to pump. I don't know which formulas, I just thought I'd give you that info. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
clothrookie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Whipple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ouch, 24 hrs. My boobs are hurting just thinking of going that long. I agree with finding out which meds and whatnot. But if its only 24 hrs I totally agree with getting the ready to eat formula. So much easier when youre recovering.
Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have had several prodedures while nursing. How old is your baby? Do you know for sure they will take a bottle? Is it a same day/out patient? Please visit KellyMom.com for better info. Or you could pm me. That is the standard answer from anethesia. If you had a emergency csection you would still start nursing. I had a general last Tuesday and did not pump and dump. The Dr. was VERY surprised how educated I was regarding medication and nursing. I am sickly and this is not the first time. Basically the medications you get to be sleeping during the procedure are narcotics that metabbolize very rapidly. Hense you wake after the surgery. By the time you are awake the bioaailability of the drug in your system is very small. There are drugs that should be used with caution in nursing a Mama but basically if you need the surgery it is likely not worth risking your nursing relationship. HTH
Old 11-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post
I have had several prodedures while nursing. How old is your baby? Do you know for sure they will take a bottle? Is it a same day/out patient? Please visit KellyMom.com for better info. Or you could pm me. That is the standard answer from anethesia. If you had a emergency csection you would still start nursing. I had a general last Tuesday and did not pump and dump. The Dr. was VERY surprised how educated I was regarding medication and nursing. I am sickly and this is not the first time. Basically the medications you get to be sleeping during the procedure are narcotics that metabbolize very rapidly. Hense you wake after the surgery. By the time you are awake the bioaailability of the drug in your system is very small. There are drugs that should be used with caution in nursing a Mama but basically if you need the surgery it is likely not worth risking your nursing relationship. HTH

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDever View Post

Kellymom.com is a great resource for breastfeeding moms and it has up-to-date accurate information. No offense to the doctors or anesthesiologists but they don't really know what they are talking about with breastfeeding so they give super-conservative advice to cover their own butts. Do some reading and I think you'll find that you have other options that won't require you to use as much or any formula.

Also, if you are pumping to store milk before your surgery, the best time to pump is first thing in the morning when you wake up. That is when you will have the most milk. How old is your LO? Depending on when you decide to resume breastfeeding, you might not need to use formula because you *might* have enough milk. You would need about 25 oz for 24 hours for the average breastfed baby (but there is some variation - this is just an *idea*) Kellymom.com has a great chart and links on figuring out how much milk you would need.

GL Mama - I hope everything goes well.

Last edited by colin-mylilguy; 11-16-2011 at 03:57 PM.
colin-mylilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
mommy to 1
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy View Post

Kellymom.com is a great resource for breastfeeding moms and it has up-to-date accurate information. No offense to the doctors or anesthesiologists but they don't really know what they are talking about with breastfeeding so they give super-conservative advice to cover their own butts. Do some reading and I think you'll find that you have other options that won't require you to use as much or any formula.

Also, if you are pumping to store milk before your surgery, the best time to pump is first thing in the morning when you wake up. That is when you will have the most milk. How old is your LO? Depending on when you decide to resume breastfeeding, you might not need to use formula because you *might* have enough milk. You would need about 25 oz for 24 hours for the average breastfed baby (but there is some variation - this is just an *idea*) Kellymom.com has a great chart and links on figuring out how much milk you would need.

GL Mama - I hope everything goes well.
Thank you! My LO is about to be 4 months this Saturday. I have read the kellymom.com but I'm a bit confused since only a handful of anesthesia that are approved? I wasn't sure what to think since I don't know what they will be using to sedate me. It's a bit overwhelming reading kellymom.com since I'm still learning all about breastfeeding. But it does seem very helpful!!
mommy to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy to 1 View Post
Thank you! My LO is about to be 4 months this Saturday. I have read the kellymom.com but I'm a bit confused since only a handful of anesthesia that are approved? I wasn't sure what to think since I don't know what they will be using to sedate me. It's a bit overwhelming reading kellymom.com since I'm still learning all about breastfeeding. But it does seem very helpful!!
You can ask to talk to the anesthesiologist and ask them what they will be using, and you can sometimes request that they use something that will be more compatible with nursing.
Here is a quote from the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding:
"If possible, talk with the anesthesiologist about the drugs that will be used. In almost all cases, breastfeeding is fine as soon as you're alert enough to hold your baby. An occasional mother experiences a drop in supply after surgery, as if her body is mustering its resources to take care of her first. Frequent nursing will almost always bring it back up. If you're concerned, try to have some milk tucked away in the freezer at home ahead of time."

If you have a copy of the Womanly Art, you can read more on pages 392-393 and 400-402, that is where I found the above.
But the general feeling is that most of the drug will be out of your system upon waking, which means it is also out of your milk. Also, drugs that are given intravenously generally are given that way because they are not absorbed well orally, so they are unlikely to be a problem to a nursing infant.

If you are able to talk to the anesthesiologist, another good source of medication info is lactmed or Medications and Mother's Milk.

HTH a bit

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

yep i agree most are safe once you wake up. GL mama
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote