Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

My son wants a drum set for Christmas...

I think Santa will fufill his wish

If you have one, what is it? He's only 3 so I don't know if something like this is what we should get or something like this any thoughts? Cons, pros if you have one of either?! Or has anyone played "Rock Band" with the drums? I figured him and DH would enjoy it and we have a Wii that's still in the box from a year ago. lol.

Advertisement

Last edited by Crew&West; 11-17-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Crew&West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Re: My son wants a drum set for Christmas...

Do you have a Menard's nearby? They're going to have a children's drum set on BF for $9.99 that I'm hoping to get for my DS. He just turned 2 and loves his guitars but is now finding drums everywhere he looks, so we think he'd love them.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Crew&West
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
Do you have a Menard's nearby? They're going to have a children's drum set on BF for $9.99 that I'm hoping to get for my DS. He just turned 2 and loves his guitars but is now finding drums everywhere he looks, so we think he'd love them.
we do!!! And I happen to be going BF shopping!
Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Dh is a musician - he has played drums since he was 4.... and although he chooses to have his day job be construction, he loves his "evening job" of being in a band. So when we started having children he wanted them to have something to play of course! Our boys actually have a legit 7 piece junior ludwig set in their room...... my FIL bought it for them 18mo ago. All of my boys go through phases of loving it - DS1 enjoys it the most, hes very rhythmical and is always tapping out the beats of songs. DS2 likes drums, but mostly because his daddy plays them .... he LOVES to sing and play guitar though. DS3 is at the age where banging is cool so he loves the drums right now too...

In general if it's just a toy and not meant to teach music i would say the sets you outlined are fine. They won't be made very well and won't last very long (possibly a year if you teach him to play them and not just beat the snot out of them)..... but it'll probably last his drum phase. I just highly recommend putting the set in a room with a door - it really cuts down on the ear shattering ringing
Old 11-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew&West View Post
we do!!! And I happen to be going BF shopping!
Me too! CAN'T WAIT!!!

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have one like the first one you posted (First Discovery maybe?). ODD got it in 2003 and it's still in great shape. It's even been shipped overseas, packed, stored, and still works and looks great. I don't think the Rock Band game is a good substitution.
But I bet he'll love the ones you get - what kid wouldnt?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:42 AM   #7
Crew&West
Registered Users
seller

He's played a real drum set before... at our church for fun, but there's no WAY I'm spending that kind of money on a drum set at this age. Maybe if he keeps the interest I will later, but he also has a 2yo brother who will "play" with it.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #8
youngmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

friends of ours got their 2yo drums for his 2nd birthday....he's now 2.5 and takes lessons from a local drummer. I was skeptical at first....until I heard him play. He's pretty good. They just have a toddler size drum set (it was around $100).

As for my son.....NO WAY!! Not with a newbie due at christmas. I don't think I could handle both sleepless nights and sleepless days Maybe next year!
We love cloth diapers , but I am a non-crunchy mommy.#3 due in Oct
youngmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #9
love_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags462
Dh is a musician - he has played drums since he was 4.... and although he chooses to have his day job be construction, he loves his "evening job" of being in a band. So when we started having children he wanted them to have something to play of course! Our boys actually have a legit 7 piece junior ludwig set in their room...... my FIL bought it for them 18mo ago. All of my boys go through phases of loving it - DS1 enjoys it the most, hes very rhythmical and is always tapping out the beats of songs. DS2 likes drums, but mostly because his daddy plays them .... he LOVES to sing and play guitar though. DS3 is at the age where banging is cool so he loves the drums right now too...

In general if it's just a toy and not meant to teach music i would say the sets you outlined are fine. They won't be made very well and won't last very long (possibly a year if you teach him to play them and not just beat the snot out of them)..... but it'll probably last his drum phase. I just highly recommend putting the set in a room with a door - it really cuts down on the ear shattering ringing
My children, ds 3.5 yo & dd almost 2yo, are getting a 5 piece Ludwig jr for Christmas. My dh has a drum set & the kids have been playing that since they were a year old. It is an investment but I think worth it. Our drums are in the basement and everyone in the family has their own ear protection to wear while drumming or in the basement while someone else is playing.
love_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote