Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
bpure8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: $10,000 for one day in the hospital???!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrusL8y View Post
Yep! That sounds about right! I commend your for looking and if you need to, you can go to the hospital and ask for the itemized version. Or, maybe they can email it to ya! The hospitals are notorious for charging for procedures that they never even did! I would definitely look into it! With the doctors' insurance going over and healthcare supplies at a high demand, the price of everything is grossly inflated. This is why I don't understand why insurance companies aren't quick to jump on midwifery and birthing center care. For DD, our insurance only had to pay our midwife $3500! They would rather pay tens of thousands?! Mind-boggling! And I betcha your care your entire pregnancy wasn't even worth 10 grand! Ha! That's the system for ya!
Yep.. THIS! ^

In 1999, we had our first and last hospital birth. We weren't even there for 24 hours, (More like 14) Totally unmedicated , no stitches, no oxygen for either of us and no nursery... it was just like our home births only in the hospital birthing center. We had to change around our insurance about 6 weeks before the delivery and called everyone to make sure we were still covered. Dr, Hospital, Insurance company and it was all a Yes. About 2 hours after I gave birth, my hubby went home to get the kids and bring them to see their Brother. Right after he left, the billing came in to tell me that the insurance would not cover the birth. When they billed us they had so much junk on the bill that we didn't do. Pit, stitches, Junk for my babies eyes, Vitamin K shot, Heb B shot, Oxygen.. and more. $11,545. The only thing I had was an IV of saline and some 800 mg of Ibuprofen.

After clearing up all the junk and dealing with the insurance and the hospital.. we ended up paying $4,500 straight up cash (Which we had to beg borrow and steal from family.. Well not steal but you get the point) It took about 4 months of fighting it to get it down to that cost.. Which tells you how inflated it all is.

Advertisement

Last edited by bpure8; 11-19-2011 at 02:05 PM.
bpure8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
Incubus527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow!! we have 1,000 left to pay our mw. (luckily she takes payments though!!)
Old 11-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #13
kierstenw
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, lord... I would definitely ask for an itemized version. I am dreading my bill now, and this baby isn't due until April. Ugh!
kierstenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

O.M.G! That's outrageous! I had spent 10 WEEKS in hospital in 2004 for my twins. I did see what insurance paid-$180,000. That was for 6 days on L&D with constant monitoring, treatment to stop labor at 26 wks, treatment for pulmonary edema and pneumonia, treatment for allergic reaction to abx for pneumonia, another 9 wks on high risk OB unit, several US's, physical therapy for strict bedrest, c/s for twins, jaundice treatment for both babies and an LC visit.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine hasn't processed fully yet, but I'll come here to post details when it does.
At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #16
Octmom2009
Registered Users
seller

WOW! Like another poster said reading this makes me really happy to live in Canada. I could not afford to have babies if I had to pay those amounts! Yikes!
Octmom2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #17
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first birth in hospital was $9k, no meds, no intervention, no shots, nothing. DH caught the baby and we refused to let staff touch him except to weigh him in-room. I had an LC visit, a tube of lanolin, and an ibuprofen. That is it. It took me 3 years to get the bill straight.

Second baby I went in to the hospital at 34 weeks for question of premature ROM. Had an ultrasound and a swab, nothing more. Refused the non stress test because we were doing the ultrasound and I didn't want the wee one exposed to prolonged ultrasound waves. Everything was fine, we left and I am still, more than 2 years later, fighting that bill. They not only charged us for things we didn't have (again, like with DS1), but they charged us 3 times for each charge, duh!

I went on to deliver him at home, and my homebirth with all prenatal and postpartum care cost me $3015 - oh, and that included a prenatal massage!
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #18
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

UPDATE - sort of..

So I got a bill from the anesthesiologist for $600....and I remembered looking at the EOB that said my co-insurance was $162...so I thought "no way" that bill is right - I called the anesthesiologist (that is a freakishly long word) and they said because they were "out of network" and not under "contract" with my PPO that I was not only responsible for the 25% (for out-of network) but also the "dis-allowed" portion that my insurance didn't allow...
so original bill was 1200(rounded out numbers for simplicity)...insurance said it should only cost $600...and insurance pays $450 ... so the Dr. says I need to pay the $150 AND the $400 ... I have NEVER had a Dr. make me pay the "dis-allowed" amount...so I called insurance and sure enough they said "yeah it is up to the Dr. to make you pay that or not...most will write it off though, some will bill you" seems like a scam of the system to me...like everyone is having their cake and eating it too - except ME!...

So this gets better back to the original issue with the $10,000 hospital bill...I finally get the EOB that says insurance paid at only 75% (which is the % for OUT of network...our IN network precentage is 90%)...I SWEAR I pre-registered and the gilr looked it up and we were in network and everything...I even looked it up on the insurances little search engine and it lists the hospital "corpus christi medical center" and gives the address of the location I was delivering at (they have 4 locations - and ALL are listed) as in network as well...but they were only paying it as out of network....so I asked the insurance lady (since I already had her on the phone) she said..."hmm that is odd - they billed it and gave the discounts as in - network but then only paid it as out of network"....so something is WONKY...she is re-submitting that one (the hospital) and then she says "and I will re-submit the anesthesiologist one because you were using an in-network facility and had no choice about the anesthesiologist so there should be a different amt" or some other discount I believe...so *hopefully* these all get straightened out...I am still gonna go in next week (when I have my appointment) and get a detailed copy of the hospital bill to see what cost over $10,000 for one day - I could have BOUGHT that bed I slept on one night! (and yes I know that covers the nurses salary and such I was just venting)

So friendly reminder / PSA / etc please do NOT just blindly pay your bills as they start coming in - insurance people DO make mistakes...and yeah $600 for that pain free birth was probably worth it - but $160 bill would make me happier now

I will keep you up-dated hehe (if you care)

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #19
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: $10,000 for one day in the hospital? UPDATE #18

Please do keep posting updates! I am following along and plan to post my itemized bills once they are finalized. (Lots of insurance issues on my end too!!!)
At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #20
Havah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno View Post
UPDATE - sort of..

So I got a bill from the anesthesiologist for $600....and I remembered looking at the EOB that said my co-insurance was $162...so I thought "no way" that bill is right - I called the anesthesiologist (that is a freakishly long word) and they said because they were "out of network" and not under "contract" with my PPO that I was not only responsible for the 25% (for out-of network) but also the "dis-allowed" portion that my insurance didn't allow...
so original bill was 1200(rounded out numbers for simplicity)...insurance said it should only cost $600...and insurance pays $450 ... so the Dr. says I need to pay the $150 AND the $400 ... I have NEVER had a Dr. make me pay the "dis-allowed" amount...so I called insurance and sure enough they said "yeah it is up to the Dr. to make you pay that or not...most will write it off though, some will bill you" seems like a scam of the system to me...like everyone is having their cake and eating it too - except ME!...

So this gets better back to the original issue with the $10,000 hospital bill...I finally get the EOB that says insurance paid at only 75% (which is the % for OUT of network...our IN network precentage is 90%)...I SWEAR I pre-registered and the gilr looked it up and we were in network and everything...I even looked it up on the insurances little search engine and it lists the hospital "corpus christi medical center" and gives the address of the location I was delivering at (they have 4 locations - and ALL are listed) as in network as well...but they were only paying it as out of network....so I asked the insurance lady (since I already had her on the phone) she said..."hmm that is odd - they billed it and gave the discounts as in - network but then only paid it as out of network"....so something is WONKY...she is re-submitting that one (the hospital) and then she says "and I will re-submit the anesthesiologist one because you were using an in-network facility and had no choice about the anesthesiologist so there should be a different amt" or some other discount I believe...so *hopefully* these all get straightened out...I am still gonna go in next week (when I have my appointment) and get a detailed copy of the hospital bill to see what cost over $10,000 for one day - I could have BOUGHT that bed I slept on one night! (and yes I know that covers the nurses salary and such I was just venting)

So friendly reminder / PSA / etc please do NOT just blindly pay your bills as they start coming in - insurance people DO make mistakes...and yeah $600 for that pain free birth was probably worth it - but $160 bill would make me happier now

I will keep you up-dated hehe (if you care)
This is what I get for being out of the loop for a while. So sorry, Lanicia.
Not just insurance companies: also hospitals/clinics. When I delivered DS, I was on Medicaid, and my OB was part of my clinic which gummed things up. So she billed for my CS through the clinic instead of the hospital. Pregnancy medicaid covered that, but the state waited months to pay it. Meanwhile, I ended up with a nasty stomach infection and had to be treated for it (NOT covered my Medicaid as I was out of the grace period). Problem was, I paid for the treatment and X-ray out of pocket and they turned around and put that money against my CS since the state hadn't paid that yet. Then they told me I still owed for the X-ray and treatment for the stomach infection! When I addressed it with billing, they initially said (well the money's there now and there's nothing we can do about it). It took a lot of phone conversations, but the double charge did eventually get dropped.

Oh yeah ... and my care and delivery of DS ran $40,000 (minimal pre-natal care starting at 20 weeks; induc; CS w/anesthesia; and 6 days in the hospital).
Forget China's legal restrictions on reproduction ... here in the US they just cripple you financially with the cost of having kids.