Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #21
CDNMommyofmany
Registered Users
Formerly: CDN Mama of 4_08
seller
seller

Re: $10,000 for one day in the hospital? UPDATE #18

Wow this post makes me so proud to be Canadian, where our health care is FREE! I couldn't imagine paying anything to have physician and/or hospital care for me or anyone in my family...

Advertisement

Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
CDNMommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #22
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNMommyofmany View Post
Wow this post makes me so proud to be Canadian, where our health care is FREE! I couldn't imagine paying anything to have physician and/or hospital care for me or anyone in my family...
Your health care isn't really free--you and your neighbors paid for it by paying very high taxes. That said, I would love to be a Canadian this year!!!
At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #23
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrusL8y
Yep! That sounds about right! I commend your for looking and if you need to, you can go to the hospital and ask for the itemized version. Or, maybe they can email it to ya! The hospitals are notorious for charging for procedures that they never even did! I would definitely look into it! With the doctors' insurance going over and healthcare supplies at a high demand, the price of everything is grossly inflated. This is why I don't understand why insurance companies aren't quick to jump on midwifery and birthing center care. For DD, our insurance only had to pay our midwife $3500! They would rather pay tens of thousands?! Mind-boggling! And I betcha your care your entire pregnancy wasn't even worth 10 grand! Ha! That's the system for ya!
I don't get it either. My midwife is$3500 also and insurance won't cover the birth. They'd rather pay $10k + for me to have a repeat csection I guess.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #24
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My CNM bill was $3k. The hospital bill for me and the baby together was just under $27k. I had a natural birth - no anesthesia, no other medication of any kind. I was there for 11 hours in labor / birth, and then for 39 hours afterwards (because she was born in the middle of the night, and they wouldn't let me go until rounds were done after she was 24 hours old). Just about 2 days even.

The bill was $11k for the "surgical procedure" of my vaginal delivery, $6k room and board for me, then *another* $6k for room and board for the baby (who roomed in with me the entire time and never even saw the nursery). Plus other charges here and there for who knows what.

After the insurance negotiated rates where applied, just about $20k was paid out. And I live in a low cost of living area. I think that is crazy high costs for the hospital for an unmedicated vaginal delivery, but pretty much nothing I can do about it...sigh...
Old 12-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #25
BrandNewMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klevmomma View Post
My CNM bill was $3k. The hospital bill for me and the baby together was just under $27k. I had a natural birth - no anesthesia, no other medication of any kind. I was there for 11 hours in labor / birth, and then for 39 hours afterwards (because she was born in the middle of the night, and they wouldn't let me go until rounds were done after she was 24 hours old). Just about 2 days even.

The bill was $11k for the "surgical procedure" of my vaginal delivery, $6k room and board for me, then *another* $6k for room and board for the baby (who roomed in with me the entire time and never even saw the nursery). Plus other charges here and there for who knows what.

After the insurance negotiated rates where applied, just about $20k was paid out. And I live in a low cost of living area. I think that is crazy high costs for the hospital for an unmedicated vaginal delivery, but pretty much nothing I can do about it...sigh...
That is crazy!! Just got our bill for the hospital and it looks like they charged my insurance about $7500 for my vaginal, unmedicated birth and I was in the hospital from 1am Friday morning until 10am Sunday morning...still going to request an itemized bill to make sure they didn't charge for "extras".
BrandNewMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #26
Lady_B
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got a bill a few days before my DD first birthday for $2700 when we have TriCare and lucky for us everything was covered. However when I got prego I had united health care. That insurance ended in Sept 08 and Tricare became primary then. The hospital refused to listen, kept saying...well this is whats in the computer....well I'm the person insured and my irate husband is going to lose it on you again if you come back into my room asking for a copayment...he JUST got back from Iraq so how about you listen to ME. I have to call both United Health Care and Tricare THE DAY AFTER I HAD HER to confrim what I knew and they refused to listen to (yes they came to my room to settle up that soon).

Good luck getting it all worked out. Hospitals need to be told sometimes they are wrong
Owner and designer of Butterfly Elephants, waldorf style dolls
Lady_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:38 AM   #27
newmommy929
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Crazy
Old 01-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #28
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

YAY! I just checked and the re-processed bill from the hospital (which now has it correctly as "in network") came out just like the pre-registration said $343 (patient responsibility)

Now crossing fingers the anestesia price drops -

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #29
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just have to pop in and say, some of our bf's asked for their itemized bill for their 24 hour hossy birth/ stay and found they were charged $12 for a box of kleenex and for an epidural they never had.

SO annoying, I tell ya.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote