Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
S/O toddler nursing frequency

I'm curious to hear from those of you that said your toddlers nurse 3-5 times a day. Did they do that on their own or did you limit it? Did you purposely night wean or did they do that on their own?

Ds is almost 8 months and I'm just thinking ahead and wondering how I can get to a 3-5 times a day frequency after we hit a little past a year. He still only sleeps a 3-4 hour stretch and nurses a lot during the day (and night!) but also eats solids really well.

I love nursing him and it's been a wonderful relationship but I'm ready to be able to leave him a little longer. He's really attached to me so even still he might have a hard time being away from me. Ds2 had a hard time in the nursery until he was 1 or so but I didn't nurse him that long.

I'm not wanting to wean at a year but a little more predictable schedule would be nice.

Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: S/O toddler nursing frequency

I nightweaned starting at about 18 months, My memory of daytime nursing is a bit fuzzy at that time, but I think she was still nursing quite a lot, including in public, at 16/17 months. It seems like it was pretty easy to get her reduce her daytime nursing after I got pregnant, probably because of the change in my milk. That was when she was about 22 months old. If she asked to nurse at an inconvenient time, I would just tell her we would nurse later.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
klbultma
Registered Users
seller

I nursed my son for 20months and only stopped then because I was pregnant and my milk supply went way down. When my son was around 8months he still nursed several times a days. We started introducting solids at 6months, but he didn't get solids consistantly until he was about 9months...until then he just preferred to nurse. Once he was eating other food more consistantly then he started to nurse less on his own and it was a welcome break for me. He still nursed about 3-4 times a day until he was about 16 months old at which point I limited it down to just twice a day - morning and before bedtime feeding. At that age he was having fun playing during the day and it was easy to destract him so that he didn't want to nurse. However, even at that age whenever he got sick we nursed more frequently.
klbultma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
Connor
Registered Users
seller

I'm no help here! My DS is 25 months and nurses about 10 times a day
I'm more than fine with it, I prefer it. He wants to nurse until he's 4-5 I'm down! I know he will be smarter, healthier, more adjusted, etc because of it.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor
I'm no help here! My DS is 25 months and nurses about 10 times a day
I'm more than fine with it, I prefer it. He wants to nurse until he's 4-5 I'm down! I know he will be smarter, healthier, more adjusted, etc because of it.
True! I think I'm just feeling so bleh because I just cannot get any exercise. He just won't let me leave him. I'm sure if he happily went into a nursery and I could work out regularly, I probably would not have posted this thread!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineb View Post
True! I think I'm just feeling so bleh because I just cannot get any exercise. He just won't let me leave him. I'm sure if he happily went into a nursery and I could work out regularly, I probably would not have posted this thread!
Have you tried exercising at home? You would be surprised what you can get done in 10-15min!
Old 11-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
mrosehughes
Registered Users
seller

DS is at daycare during the week, so that probably helped bump it down a bit (although he wouldn't take a bottle; I went up midday and he nursed). But I'd say for the most part he reduced his nursing sessions on his own until recently, when I decided I'm done with occasional middle of the night sessions and nursing after daycare (which I've been discouraging).

ETA: I guess after thinking on it more I'm doing a form of 'don't offer, don't refuse', where if I offer for a few days in a row and DS refuses, I figure he's done with that session and stop offering. At least that's how we weaned from the midday session (although he will often still nurse before nap on weekends).

Last edited by mrosehughes; 11-19-2011 at 10:51 AM.
mrosehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineb View Post
What kind of exercise do u do? I have a pilates workout video that I do and when DD is having one of her days ill just prop her up (she's 4 mths) and shell coo and laugh at me while I'm working out. Im sure I do look funny tho, being out of shape. Also she loves the stroller, which is awesome exercise for me and she gets to look at everything outside. I just nurse before this and shes fine. If not, I have no problem stopping to nurse. HTH!
Skybaby712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

My oldest went from 5x per day to 2x per day to 1x per week during the first few months of my pregnancy (at just over 2 years old). I deliberately cut her down due to my own discomfort caused by the pregnancy, by night-weaning her and then cutting her to 2x per day. Beyond that she decreased further by herself during my pregnancy, but after baby came she went back to 2x per day again.

My youngest hasn't been restricted at all. She night-weaned on her own just after 2 years old. She also typically only nurses 2x per day now. She has just done it on her own.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybaby712

What kind of exercise do u do? I have a pilates workout video that I do and when DD is having one of her days ill just prop her up (she's 4 mths) and shell coo and laugh at me while I'm working out. Im sure I do look funny tho, being out of shape. Also she loves the stroller, which is awesome exercise for me and she gets to look at everything outside. I just nurse before this and shes fine. If not, I have no problem stopping to nurse. HTH!
I love running, cycling, swimming. I used to do triathlons. I like going to spin class at the gym during winter months and cycling outside during the summer. The only stroller I have is a double bike trailer and he's not big enough to be in it yet. I should try a workout at home. I am always finding other things to do. Plus he's into everything with crawling now. He's starting to become a workout!