Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
hokoonchi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Impetigo (?) Diaper Area Rash?

DS, 14 months, has a diaper area rash with raised pustules (yellowish in color). This was spawned from a regular rash. I believe it went bacterial b/c of a broken blister on the regular diaper rash. (Yeah, I change that butt like every two hours, but his skin is super duper duper sensitive.) We had this before and used bacitricin (per pediatrician's recommendation), but I am using it this time and it has not cleared at all. I'll probably head to the ped tomorrow, but wanted to know if anyone had dealt with anything similar. Did you go to the ped? What did he/she prescribe? Did it work?

I'm thinking it's impetigo, just from the descriptions on Dr. Internet, but who knows? Anyone here know?

I would put this in DQ&A but I started using sposies a few months back so I figured this was the best place for it. (Unfortunately, he gets way way fewer rashes with sposies. Oh well.)

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
kej
Registered Users
seller

Re: Impetigo (?) Diaper Area Rash?

Impetigo is staph and we've had it here. both my lo's have been prone to rashes, but this one was super bad and wouldn't go away and was horrific open blisters. My ped cultured it to be sure. We had to go through 2 rounds of antibiotics to clear it up. I cd'ed so I bleached all my dipes and wipes.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Caroline162
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had impedigo a while back with our 22 month old - I switched to disposables while he had it, put Bacitracin on each sore with a very generous amount of Aquaphor over it to keep it from rubbing off and changed his diapers as soon as they were wet. It cleared up in a few days. Then I bleached and sunned all of his cloth before going back to cloth.

If the bacitracin isn't clearing it up, I would go to the ped. Good luck!
Caroline162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
hokoonchi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll be making that appointment as soon as I wake up tomorrow! I know it's not the best of circumstances, but I'm really happy I get to stay home from work with DS tomorrow. He also has a cold, poor thing.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
hokoonchi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

UPDATE: We tried triple antibiotic ointment last night instead of just bacitricin -- TOTALLY did the trick. Hooray! Saves me a 25 dollar trip to the ped. But for anyone searching threads about this, hopefully you find my answer.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD had the same thing last year (at age 2). Our ped said that recurring impetigo often needs to be treated with antibiotics.
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
kej
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilikinsMama View Post
DD had the same thing last year (at age 2). Our ped said that recurring impetigo often needs to be treated with antibiotics.
Yeah, that. Ours was recurring. I hope the otc stuff works, but if it returns, go for the antibiotics.