Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Baby's weight really dropped

I've been doing BLW since 6 months. Baby has always been in the 50% for height, weight and head circ (based on the WHO curve). I pump and Dad is at home feeding baby from a bottle every 3 hours.

At his 9 month appt about 2 weeks ago, baby dropped to the 25% for weight, but stayed at 50% for height and head. Ped said to increase calories as much as possible (more avocados, olive oil, etc). I'm doing this, but Dad and I aren't convinced he's feeding himself any more. He still will just play around with his food during some meals.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm having him weighed again in a few weeks, but I'm worried.

Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Baby's weight really dropped

He's 9months, which means that he should still be getting the largest part of his nutrition from his bottles of breastmilk. Have you decreased the ounces that he's getting? If so, I'd back off on the solids a bit and make sure that he's still drinking plenty of your liquid gold. And then, what he does eat, add in the good fats.

You can start eating those high fat foods for him as well. Make some of that breastmilk into ice cream

I have had friends go through this and they said they had to eat increased calorie foods to help out their child.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
pcjs
Registered Users

The idea of BLW is great, but it doesn't work for all kids. Still push the breast milk and use it to make things like cereal/other foods that he can eat (homemade purees via left over veggies are a nice way to go) as that counts as breast milk intake.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

Until he's 1 he really should be getting most of his calories from breastmilk (or formula). Until then food is really just 'practice' and completely unnecessary in most cases. His weight drop is his way of telling you he needs more bottles and less 'meals'.

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I appreciate the feedback. In any given bottle feeding, he's eating about 4 oz and then rejecting the bottle. I think we'll increase the frequency of feeding and see how that goes!

Thanks!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

that part sounds fairly normal.

MY DD never drank more than 5oz (except first thing in the morning, she'd do 6oz), but she did need to feed every 2 hours.

At one point, she started pushing the bottles away after 3 or 4oz, but still wasn't consuming much in the way of solids. For us, it was no problem because we didn't have weight issues.

but yes, I think really offer more often in smaller quantities - possibly even switch nipples - I know when my DD is teething, she doesn't like certain nipples.

and seriously, this is free reign for you to start indulging a bit to increase the fat content of that breastmilk
Old 12-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD recently did the same exact thing she fell below the 25% and ped recommended increasing BM or formula and offering at least 3 meals (after bottles) and 2 snacks a day. At our appointment 6 weeks later she had gained and was back at 50%.
babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote