Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
One Little Window
Registered Users
Formerly: mamainmaine
seller
seller

Any vintage pattern knitters/crocheters out there?

I don't even know exactly what my question is - but I'm kinda wanting to find some kindred vintage pattern people! I used to sew and sell vintage sewing patterns. I have a few vintage knit/crochet books - and several fantastic pamphlets. I have a helmet/hood pattern that I'd like to try next and a sweater that's in the line-up too... I'd just love to find some people to ask questions to, or just show off some pics? Anyone else love these old patterns?

Also - I find most are written for yarns that aren't out there anymore - anyone know of a good place or way to figure out what they compare to now? So far it seems many are similar to sport weight... but I'm a newbie and don't really know...

THANKS!!!

Advertisement

One Little Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
eliahsmom
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainmaine
I don't even know exactly what my question is - but I'm kinda wanting to find some kindred vintage pattern people! I used to sew and sell vintage sewing patterns. I have a few vintage knit/crochet books - and several fantastic pamphlets. I have a helmet/hood pattern that I'd like to try next and a sweater that's in the line-up too... I'd just love to find some people to ask questions to, or just show off some pics? Anyone else love these old patterns?

Also - I find most are written for yarns that aren't out there anymore - anyone know of a good place or way to figure out what they compare to now? So far it seems many are similar to sport weight... but I'm a newbie and don't really know...

THANKS!!!
This is a great site: http://www.freevintageknitting.com/

Yarn weights/kinds are hard for me too but I've often found that dredging the local flea markets and thrift shops can sometimes find yarns, I've started carrying a little notebook to write down brands and weights. Also, there's some good info on that site about yarn substitutions.
eliahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
One Little Window
Registered Users
Formerly: mamainmaine
seller
seller

Re: Any vintage pattern knitters/crocheters out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliahsmom View Post
This is a great site: http://www.freevintageknitting.com/

Yarn weights/kinds are hard for me too but I've often found that dredging the local flea markets and thrift shops can sometimes find yarns, I've started carrying a little notebook to write down brands and weights. Also, there's some good info on that site about yarn substitutions.
Thanks!
One Little Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
beautifulboyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love vintage crochet patterns! I have recently purchased some off Etsy. Most for baby dresses and jumpers but have seen some really cute bikini and adult dress patterns. I guess I just love to "hoard" patterns lol but will definitely be giving these a try. I want to try and make this one.

http://pinterest.com/pin/211174952168671/

or this one

http://pinterest.com/pin/211174952168677/

Last edited by beautifulboyz; 12-17-2011 at 08:27 PM.
beautifulboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ravelry is the best place to look for anything to do with knitting anything and google. I have lots of local (NZ) vintage knitting patterns from the 1940s onwards and the yarn weight are pretty easy to figure out they honestly haven't changed much. Most of it is knit in Fingering/baby yarn (4ply) like what you knit socks in.