Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
jurassicsap
Registered Users
seller

Knitters, What's your favorite

What's your favorite wool yarn for soaker pants/things that will be next to baby skin? The peace fleece looks so scratchy. Maybe a superfine merino? I felt some alpaca and wow was it nice but I don't think it would be good for soakers, right?
Amber
just starting a new hobby/obsession...enable me!

Advertisement

jurassicsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

Re: Knitters, What's your favorite

I knit with all sorts of yarn for my customers, so I have felt a lot! I will tell you that my personal favorites for my son are Peace Fleece and LTK Handpainted. The reason why I like these is that they are workhorse yarns and that's really the purpose of the soakers. To me, what good are they if they look good but don't do their job! The merinos are really beautiful and soft, but they pill big time and I cannot deal with that! Some mama's don't care and they shave them, but I can't be bothered...and I don't think the yarn holds up well. Merino loses it's bounce and it become stretched out, loses it's shape. It doesn't have good stretching power either. It's prob best for a newborn who isn't going to be crawling around and doesn't really need a workhorse type soaker. Peace Fleece is initially not soft, however, it does soften up quite a bit after a couple of washings and wearings. The LTK is very beautiful and it's another workhorse yarn, excellent bounce and resiliancy just like PF which really makes your item last longer. LTK would be my ultimate favorite if I didn't have such problems getting it. I've had to wait months sometimes for it...that's not good. Peace Fleece is bulletproof...you will hear many mamas tell you that!

Good luck and have fun shopping!
Willys Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
sunshynemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would have to say BFL or Beaverslide (Jersey Cream wool), both work fabulously, and are super soft. Targhee comes in at a close second.

I'm not a huge fan of merino for soakers either. I love how soft it is, but the stretch out factor drives me nuts!

My ds will not wear peace fleece, but I love using it for things that need to be felted because it becomes incredibly soft after felting. I think you will find that lots of mama's opinions vastly differ... so try out lots of things (I have quite a bit of yarn leftovers here, and I can send you a yard or 2 of a couple to feel, just pm me if you'd like )
Old 06-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
beckers1111
Registered Users
seller

I cant say I like to knit with anything....cause I cant knit. but I loooooove my merino wool shorties! they do pill, but I dont care if my ds is super comfy in his wool!