Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: What health issues does your LO face from being 'undercooked'?

My 34 weekers are actually my healthiest babies by far. They were both in the NICU for 2 weeks. They came home 3 days apart. They were mainly just feeders and growers because of their tiny size. They got RSV when they were 4 months old which we treated at home. They both have immature digestive tracts and can't handle any dairy (although we've recently started introducing some dairy into their diets at 15 1/2 months). They were slow to sit (10 months) but they have hit all their other milestones with in normal limits. They are tiny for their age but they are growing on their own curves so no worries there. We got very very lucky

Advertisement

Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DFS was a 34 weeker and has...

Asthma (he caught RSV and was denied the shots)
Altered muscle tone and wears AFOs
Does not swallow--J tube
Food aversion caused by aspiration/NG tube
Slow developing speech
He shakes when he gets excited or really wants something. No one knows why. CT scans have all been normal.

He is in OT, PT, Speech, and feeding therapies weekly. He sat at 12 months, crawled at 14 months, and walked at 18 months. Now at 2.5, he can ride a bike and runs everywhere.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 12-03-2011 at 10:00 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
medireh09
Registered Users
seller

34 weeker here. He has spastic diplegic cerebral palsy and wears braces.. He is able to walk with the braces but fatigues easily. We have a posterior walker to assist him for distance walks. He took his first steps at 19 months. He was also very delayed in other motor milestones (late sitting, rolling, crawling) because of the CP. He has complete gastroparesis and is fed via GJ tube with continuous G drain. He is a cancer survivor (hepatoblastoma diagnosed at 9 months, remission achieved at 15 months) and has some late effects from chemo. He also has dysphagia and oral aversion.
medireh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
mokie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my 34 weekers spent 16 and 17 days in the NICU. My son was on a CPAP for three days but got Synagis shots (5) during RSV season and my daughter got approved for 3. So far we have been very lucky in that the only thing we had to deal with was my stubborn daughter insisting on sleeping with her head turned to the right so she wore a cranial band for about 3 months.

*knock on wood*
mokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
Belle1002
Registered Users

My Mood:
My b/g twins were born at 34 weeks, spent 19 days in NICU. DS has no known issues except for struggling to eat the first few weeks. DD has been diagnosed with Horner's Syndrome (sympathetic nerve dysfunction usually caused by a brain tumor but she's had numerous scans done and everything looks normal- one pupil doesn't react normally and her eyelid droops, but nothing serious). She also had cysts in both lungs and had a lobe of her lung removed. The biopsy was benign so we chose not to operate on the other lung. Both are very small for their age but otherwise developing on target! I must add that we were told

Loving life with our very energetic 2 year old b/g twins!
Belle1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
Belle1002
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle1002
My b/g twins were born at 34 weeks, spent 19 days in NICU. DS has no known issues except for struggling to eat the first few weeks. DD has been diagnosed with Horner's Syndrome (sympathetic nerve dysfunction usually caused by a brain tumor but she's had numerous scans done and everything looks normal- one pupil doesn't react normally and her eyelid droops, but nothing serious). She also had cysts in both lungs and had a lobe of her lung removed. The biopsy was benign so we chose not to operate on the other lung. Both are very small for their age but otherwise developing on target! I must add that we were told
that they were very high risks babies and I feel fortunate that they are doing so well.

Loving life with our very energetic 2 year old b/g twins!
Belle1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #17
kristinc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my 27 weekers were in the nicu for 10 weeks (shortest stay) - 4 months (ds stayed the longest). they had the normal micropreemie issues. feeding, breathing & temp regulation problems. all 4 had some sort of heart defect but thankfully all resolved by the 1 year follow up except for 1 who has pulmonic valve stenosis. ds was having all sort of bp problems near the end of his nicu stay...they had no idea why. turned out he had a bladder turned kidney infection that was causing some serious problems. he needed 2 weeks of intravenous antibiotic to knock it out. it the midst of that they discovered that he had vesiculourethreal reflux. they recommended that he be on prophylactic antibiotics for 2-3 years and have a "medically necessary" circ. after much debate b/w dh & i we did the circ when he was around 6 months old and elected to discontinue the antibiotics which were causing some pretty bad gi problems. he has since been cleared of the VU reflux we had pretty severe reflux with 1 and projectile vomiting with another. all without any anatomical abnormalities that they could find with various tests.

mine were also closer to the adjusted age for milestones. 1 was a pretty late sitting, crawler & walker. they are small for their age (esp ds who is tiny) and verbal skills are a little delayed. but honestly we feel soooooo lucky to have had all of them survive, first of all. and secondly not have any major preemie related issues...at least so far.
kristinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

My twins are 31 weekers. They've outgrown a lot if their typical preemie issues, but DD2 is still having heartrate drops. She came home on caffeine for it, but she's outgrown the dosage so she's continuing to have them. DS developed a bone infection while in the NICU due to his immature immune system. He's receiving extensive PT and we're not sure yet whether there will be long-term effects on his growth. He was also just diagnosed with SVT and is starting new meds for that.

Last edited by CASMama711; 01-06-2012 at 08:44 PM.
CASMama711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #19
alisha_roseleip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had a 34 weeker and he now has reflux issues, asthma and apenic spells. He has had RSV twice and we are still not approved for the shoots. Ugggg! Challenging some days but so worth it since we have him <3
It is not out of meanness or rudeness but it is not yours unless you ask for paypal address or you ask me to hold it for you because we are working on a deal. Asking for more pics does not mean we are in the middle of a deal
alisha_roseleip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #20
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry, Kristen. I'm just seeing your question. She did therapy with Early Intervention.