Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
jcgreenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wedding Dress

I still have mine. My mom had it preserved and I have every intention of wearing it for our vow renewal at our 10yr (and 20 and so on) anniversary. It was a dress I LOVED, so much so that I joke DH that if it wasn't already preserved he may come home and catch me wearing it around the house Had I not loved it I really do like the idea of the brides for breast cancer or similar charities. I even told one of my cousins who is about my size and loved it that if when she gets married she wants to wear it she can, providing she doesn't need it altered. My mom actually wanted to make it into a christening gown for DS, which I suppose is what they did WAY back when, but I put the veto on that one. Especially since we have a family heirloom christening gown that's around 120+ years old... and in good and wearable condition that all the other babies wore. Why would I let her cut up my gorgeous dress

Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I could never get rid of mine. I love it so much. If I ever have a formal event to go to, I want it dyed and the train removed, so I can wear it again! It's very minimalistic, with no beads, lace or fluff. It's just folds of fabric on a form-fitting, strapless, mermaid- style gown. I can't wear it white, though, or it would look like a wedding gown!
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #13
JenniferLovesEmily
Registered Users
seller

I mentioned the idea of turning my dress into a Christmas tree skirt (Thanks for the idea! ) he thought the dress was too expensive to use for that. I kidded him that a box taking up closet space is a much more appropriate use for that kind of money.

Sent from my Droid....probably while nursing ....interpret accordingly
JenniferLovesEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #14
burgler
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I never thought I would care that much about my wedding dress, but I ended up really loving it. It is in a box in my mother's closet right now and I see no reason it couldn't stay there. It was a floor model that I bought for cheap (well, wedding dress cheap) and then spent a few hundred dollars getting really altered. I don't think I will get rid of it if I don't have to.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #15
Cortney
Registered Users
seller

We had a very casual wedding and I wore a long sleeveless Banana REpublic linen dress. I've worn it since (including on our 10th anniversary trip to the caymans this year!)
Old 12-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #16
Bexo
Registered Users
seller

I saved mine. I had it preserved in a box, so it doesn't take up that much room.
Bexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #17
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

I still have mine, but I just got married last year. It also isn't a super fancy traditional dress since it was my second marriage. It is ivory, tea length, and very simple. It could very well be reused for another event.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
Jenette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I still have mine and I loved it. I love the tree skirt idea. I think I will take it out tonight and see how it looks.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #19
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocat View Post
My husband has put his foot down on this one I have no sentimental attachment to it though so if was up to me, I'd let it go to a good home.
Same with mine! I was going to get rid of it but DH insisted we keep it. We eloped and I didn't have a wedding dress. A couple years later when we decided to start a family, we had a wedding and honeymoon in Fiji. The wedding was in a village of the of family that we stayed with for 2 nights, nothing fancy, so I got my dress off of craigslist for $60 and it's something I could wear to another dressy event or a date on the beach... I'll have to hint that one to DH.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #20
marisolstice
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have mine. I planned to get rid of it cuz I'm not very sentimental, but left it at my in-laws since they have plenty of space. When I showed it to my daughters (who were 4 and 2), they were so thrilled and excited to see "Mommy's married dress" that I decided to keep it after all.