Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
lovebeingamommy123
Registered Users
seller

calling all potty training experts!!!!

my son is 3 1/2, and doing very well with potty training (just started, its been a year and a half long struggle to get him to even SIT on it lol) he does well as long as i remind him every few min, he doesnt usually tell me, every once in a while he does, and i rush him to the potty lol. He wears diapers at night and nap time, and I havent gone out in public with him yet without a diaper... my question is... how do you do that? go on longish car rides, and do errands with no diaper. Is it too soon to try that? (its been 2 weeks and just in the last 4 days has he been accident free except for poop) and are there any tricks or tips i should know? also, how about for naps and night, when do you start that, and how do you do it?

Advertisement

Old 11-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: calling all potty training experts!!!!

At some point you will just have to try it. Take him before you leave and as soon as you get there, ask if he needs to go. You have to stop on car rides of course. I would start trying out in public once he is like a full week, accident free. Try and get him to at least an hour between tries because obviously, its not possible to try every few minutes on a long term basis. Put a bag in the car with an extra outfit, undies and wipes that is always left in there for emergencies.

Naps, start trying it when he can hold it for the whole nap with no accidents. Stop the liquids like an hour before he goes down. Layer his bed with a mattress protector, sheet, another protector, another sheet. So if he wets, just change him real quick, strip one "layer" from the bed and he is ready to get right back in and finish the nap.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ya, you just need to pack some extra clothes and shoes, put something absorbant/waterproof in his carseat and give it a shot.

I've been potty training kids for years... I give them one or two days, and it's done. We don't even do diapers for nap time.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage
Ya, you just need to pack some extra clothes and shoes, put something absorbant/waterproof in his carseat and give it a shot.

I've been potty training kids for years... I give them one or two days, and it's done. We don't even do diapers for nap time.
This. My 2.5 yo is potty training right now. He won't go to the potty on his own most times yet but as long as I keep on him he is awesome.

I go cold turkey with no diaper and we just deal with accidents.

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 11-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
KiteGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it really depends on your kid. Some kids can hold it, some can't. I'm starting to believe, as I read the WIDE variety of experiences here, that some kids are just physically different from other kids, and that bladders grow/kids are able to "hold it" at different rates.

THAT SAID, when we got serious about potty training we went right to undies and didn't use anything else during the day, even car trips. I set an alarm on my phone, 15 minutes the first couple of days and half an hour after that, and when it went off he went potty. We kept car rides to 15 minutes or less, and I took my son to the bathroom before we left and when we arrived everywhere for about a week. As we had success, I got braver, and eventually just pottied before we left and when we got home. If we had an accident (always at home for some reason), we'd go back to every half an hour. My philosophy with overnight was to wait until his diapers were dry and then put him in underwear. I couldn't imagine not giving him water at night (I drink water all night, too), so I figured I'd just let him figure it out. A couple weeks in he stopped having wet diapers at night, and would call us if he needed to go potty. So we switched to undies at night.

So, I think just follow the successes, don't worry about it too much, especially at night. The lower stress you are, the lower stress he'll be.
KiteGirl: Mother of one boy, Cy Wife and Partner to John, educator, and perpetual student. I'm into cloth diapering (although Cy is a potty-using boy now!), babywearing, crib sleeping, vaccinating and circumcising, and am happy to support you in what you believe, as well.
KiteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
swismiself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pitting my son back in diapers for daytime naps was confusing and didn't work, so once we started we went all the way.

We changed to pull ups at night but he soon asked for underwear. Fortunately by then his body was more capable of holding it and I only had to wake him once at midnight.

But, my son was 2.5 and we started because he wanted those Thomas the train underwears something fierce! He was motivated so we helped him through it because at the time he couldn't really hold it long. We started with making him go every 60-90 minutes! It got better really fast, though.

Re: car rides...well, we had plenty of stops on the side of the road to water the bushes...but it's rural WI and at least in that regard, having a boy is easier.
swismiself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We had to go cold turkey with the diapers for my son. He thought ANY padding in the underwear meant it was a diaper. He would be doing fine all day so I would put a padded underwear on to go to the store. This just guaranteed he would pee. Some kids get confused with the switching back and forth. I also never ASKED if he had to use the bathroom. I simply said it was potty time lets all go to the bathroom. I would go also as an example for him.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
swismiself
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
I also never ASKED if he had to use the bathroom. I simply said it was potty time lets all go to the bathroom. I would go also as an example for him.
Yeah that. They always say no, even if they have to go.
swismiself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we did undies at home and trainers(either w/PUL or with fleece or wool on top) for car rides. once we got where we were going we switched back to undies. i also keep a little potty in the car and if we go to the mall(very rare) stick it in the bottom of the stroller and they use that one in the bathroom.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:

just try little by little with undies and see how it goes. If it's well, stretch out the time a bit. I agree with extra clothes though!