Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #31
purplefinch
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone feel guilty?

I appreciate reading these perspectives and thoughts. DH and I have talked about Christmas and how to celebrate simply, without forfeiting the childhood wonder I remember at Christmas. We have a little time to decide since our first is not due until March, but we really want to teach our kids that Christmas is about giving, not what you receive.

I really like Mookie's idea of the three gifts. I also appreciate the idea of gifting a special memory or event as a family.

OP, maybe the $ you might wish to spend on additional gifts you could put away in a special account to present at some later point? That way you don't have to feel guilty about not spending as much $ on them, because you are! Just in a different way, for a different purpose, that your children could decide how they want to spend.

Merry Christmas, all!

Advertisement

purplefinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #32
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

we learned to lesson it down also w/ the gifts that we by r kids. one yr we bought more then we thought & the kids were tired of opening up the gifts not even half way through. lol so now we only do 5 gifts each. 1 main & 4 small. we also cut down the stockings from 5 (thanks to my mom who thinks kids can never have enough stockings lol )to only filling up 2-3 (depends on w/ what we bought & how it fits into there stockings lol ) were not trying to fill 3 stockings r goal is 2 this yr. the rest were gonna use as decorations.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #33
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have never bought our kids gifts, only small things for stockimgs. This year i told my dad to get them nothing, my mom and gma promised to scale back, and mil asked if the kids could open her gift at thanksgiving. so i felt i could buy them each ONE gift this year!!! and i did.

then- my dad sends a gift anyway, my gma sends 6 each, and my mom sends 4 each. I think that's too many!!! not sure what i'll do.

my ideal would be one gift from my mom, gma, das, and mil. plus stocking stuffers. my kids- 7, 4, and 2 are more than happy with that.

but my gma is 80 years old and her love language is GIFTS so it is SO hard to tell her no.

i got a lot of gifts as a kid and appreciated them. but we rarely got anything when it wasn't xmas or bday. so idk. next year, given my family's idea of 'scaling back,' we will not buy them a gift ourselves!!!
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote