Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
ashleyandbaby2010
Registered Users

My Mood:
activities for me and 22 mo boy

I am a SAHM and a first - time one at that! I have been finding it harder and harder - with the cold weather - to keep ds busy! He is sick of all of his toys, he doesn't really color...can't really go outside, our playgroup fell apart so no more play dates ...I'm at a loss! We are both sooooo bored! He won't stay engaged long enough for a treasure hunt or even hide and seek! Help!!!!

Any ideas will be welcome! !! Oh, and I don't have a vehicle! So it must be at home! TIA ladies

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
SylvieP
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: activities for me and 22 mo boy

Would he color on a big box? We just got our new dishwasher this week and all three of my LO's spent HOURS coloring on the box

Can you build him a blanket fort to crawl and hide under? My kids love that stuff. Give him a flashlight to play with under there and his snack and some books. You may not see him for a while LOL

Sometimes I give in and let the kids play in the Tupperware cupboard and they take everything out and try to put it back in and take it out again......
Old 11-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
ashleyandbaby2010
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieP
Would he color on a big box? We just got our new dishwasher this week and all three of my LO's spent HOURS coloring on the box

Can you build him a blanket fort to crawl and hide under? My kids love that stuff. Give him a flashlight to play with under there and his snack and some books. You may not see him for a while LOL

Sometimes I give in and let the kids play in the Tupperware cupboard and they take everything out and try to put it back in and take it out again......
Thank you Sylvie! I made him a blanket fort from a card table and he just wanted to climb on top of it after about 5 minutes inside! And he plays with Tupperware all the time! see why I'm out of ideas!! LOL! Thanks again!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
mookie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Water play (washing trucks, spoons, pouring through funnels)
Sensory bin (I've used sand, rice, bird seed, etc.)
Finger paint
Play dough
mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
jcgreenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is it too wet to go outside? We go out even in the relative cold... that's what hats, gloves and winter coats are for My DS (20 months) loves to play in teh leaves, with sticks and rocks, dig in the sandbox, etc. He doesn't care what the weather is so as long as he's not sick or something I take him out. if you have a garage you could pull the car out and let him run around or "ride bikes" in there. Inside we paint, stamp, draw... he loves to "help" so he will help put laundry in the washer or dryer, "fold" it, vacuum (he has one his size and I swear he will push it around an hour or more). He loves his little people and to throw the ball. We find a safe spot to throw/kick a soft ball in the house and let him go. He's getting a play kitchen for Christmas and I am sure that will also keep him super busy. Water play and sensory bins are also good suggestions. Oh yeah, one other thing he LOVES to do is "cards"... we have color/letter/word picture flashcards and he actually asks for them. That can eat up as much as 20 minutes. Good luck mama, I know winter can be tough.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
ashleyandbaby2010
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgreenmama
Is it too wet to go outside? We go out even in the relative cold... that's what hats, gloves and winter coats are for My DS (20 months) loves to play in teh leaves, with sticks and rocks, dig in the sandbox, etc. He doesn't care what the weather is so as long as he's not sick or something I take him out. if you have a garage you could pull the car out and let him run around or "ride bikes" in there. Inside we paint, stamp, draw... he loves to "help" so he will help put laundry in the washer or dryer, "fold" it, vacuum (he has one his size and I swear he will push it around an hour or more). He loves his little people and to throw the ball. We find a safe spot to throw/kick a soft ball in the house and let him go. He's getting a play kitchen for Christmas and I am sure that will also keep him super busy. Water play and sensory bins are also good suggestions. Oh yeah, one other thing he LOVES to do is "cards"... we have color/letter/word picture flashcards and he actually asks for them. That can eat up as much as 20 minutes. Good luck mama, I know winter can be tough.
It's not wet, but it is cold. The wind is really what keeps us inside! We live in the Texas panhandle and it gusts up to 30 mph some days. The house we are renting also has a yucky backyard.

Good news though! It is beautiful outside TODAY so when he wakes up from nap out we will go!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
pcjs
Registered Users

We do a gymnastics class at a gymnastics center. We also do a co-op preschool twice a week.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I lived for years with one car and 4 kids (all born in under 5 yrs). We spent a LOT Of time outside, no matter how cold or windy it was. When I was a preschool teacher, it was actually a law that the kids had to have an hour of playtime outside each day unless it was raining, snowing, or under 35 degrees.
Since I didn't have a car, I took them on a LOT of walks. Even now, I wear my 30lb, 18 mo old on walks all over town, to the park or on hikes, etc. We walk downtown to window shop, to the playground, to the store...the key for me with a lot of little ones was getting outside every day and also, going somewhere (even if we had to walk/wear/ride in stroller, etc).
Maybe make a schedule, so that he knows what to expect and look forward to, instead of thinking, "these are my toys, and that's all I do".
Example: break things into 15-30 min chunks. Breakfast, circle time (songs, finger plays, stories), then run around the block (exercise time! if it's rainy, then put on some tunes and dance), toy time. then helps you make lunch. clean up and nap. after nap, crafts. then outside time. then toys, etc.
Maybe put some of his toys up and rotate them? Right now with our Christmas decor up, we put some stuff outside like his lawnmower and some stuff in the basement. Most everything else is in 2 big drawers under his train table. So sometimes, I just pull out something like puzzles and leave them on the table. Then I might put his kitchen stuff where he notices it, etc.